• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Wls .... So confusing

Jackieann140

Hi all, I've been referred for wls by GP to Russells Hall hospital, I have rang Dr. Labibs secretary to confirm she has received my referral, she has, and says first appointment is in 6-8 wks of receiving the letter.
what happens next, my bmi is 52, according to nice guidelines anything over 50 can be put forward for surgery.
Will I have to do a weight management course? Hoping my appointment comes soon x
thank u

countrywench

I can't help I'm afraid but I sure someone will be along soon who can
Welcome to a brilliant forum !
Xxx

carol.s

welcome to the forum my Bmi was over 50 and I am diabetic. so I was referred straight to surgery. But it all depends on what the procedure is in your area.
some like you to do the weight management some don't. I live in between two hospitals that offer wls surgery the first one I was referred to would only take new referrals if they had done the weight management regardless of what your bmi is or what co-morbidities you have and tier 3 isn't available in the area that I live in. But at SRH I went straight to tier 4.

carol

Jackieann140

welcome to the forum my Bmi was over 50 and I am diabetic. so I was referred straight to surgery. But it all depends on what the procedure is in your area.
some like you to do the weight management some don't. I live in between two hospitals that offer wls surgery the first one I was referred to would only take new referrals if they had done the weight management regardless of what your bmi is or what co-morbidities you have and tier 3 isn't available in the area that I live in. But at SRH I went straight to tier 4.

carol
Hi carol, did your GP refer you twice then ?
The reason I ask is my local hospital doesn't perform wls, but sends patients to Shrewsbury for their ops.
I have a friend who worked at my local hospital and she asked to be referred direct to Shrewsbury, so as her co-workers wouldn't know she was having the OP.
And I wish I'd have gone the same route.
Thank you
Jackie

carol.s

yes she did. when the first referral came back with them wanting me to have done tier 3. I was referred to Sunderland Royal Hospital and after a couple of hicups I hopefully will be having my surgery on 17th may.
why don't you ask if you can be referred to shrewesbury you can only ask.

Carol

xx