• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Funding query

Thank you Em.

Just ironed out one little hiccup (my GP was going to apply for funding but it doesn't work like that here so he would have applied, they would have rejected it, been back to where we are now) so will see doctor tomorrow and ask him to do the referral.

I'm sorry but I disagree with using stones/rice to make you appear heavier. It's deceptive and unfair to all of the people who've had their funding declined, in my opinion.

I get that you mean well but I disagree with it. It doesn't take long to put on the few pounds to genuinely qualify for the surgery.

I'm sorry but I disagree with using stones/rice to make you appear heavier. It's deceptive and unfair to all of the people who've had their funding declined, in my opinion.

I get that you mean well but I disagree with it. It doesn't take long to put on the few pounds to genuinely qualify for the surgery.

I couldn't agree more with this quote.

I would agree with this if the pcts all used nice guidelines. But the postcode lottery being what it is I feel we should support and be pleased for anyone who manages to get there funding. And it's very easy to preach when you already have your bypass. What if you were in their shoes?

Yvessa said:
I would agree with this if the pcts all used nice guidelines. But the postcode lottery being what it is I feel we should support and be pleased for anyone who manages to get there funding. And it's very easy to preach when you already have your bypass. What if you were in their shoes?

Ok so let's look at it another way.. I decide I don't want to work anymore so I exaggerate a back condition so I can qualify for ESA and DLA. I obviously don't qualify for said benefits but I want the government to give me free money so I'll exaggerate my condition when they give me a medical.

Would people be accepting of this scenario as they are about exaggerating their weight condition in an attempt to qualify for 10 grand surgery?

But that is very different. As dsa rules are the same for everyone and if your not eligible then no amount of exaggeration will affect the medical opinion of your doctor. Many of these people have their gps support in saying this op is the way forward for them.
If it was fair access according to nice guidelines I would agree. But with people who fit te criteria being turned away I don't begrudge anyone who manages to get funding that may be fundamentally life changing.

Edited as I'm not getting in to a debate on a thread that had run its course

(except to say earliest my referral leaves the GP is tomorrow and I've 'eaten' those few pounds on)

Last edited:
All the best Sue, it's frustrating when the goal posts keep moving, but you have conquered yet another hurdle in your wls journey. x

Yvessa said:
But that is very different. As dsa rules are the same for everyone and if your not eligible then no amount of exaggeration will affect the medical opinion of your doctor. Many of these people have their gps support in saying this op is the way forward for them.
If it was fair access according to nice guidelines I would agree. But with people who fit te criteria being turned away I don't begrudge anyone who manages to get funding that may be fundamentally life changing.

I think everyone who has failed dieting so many times should get the op and there shouldn't be so many hoops to jump through but the fact remains that it's blatant cheating the NHS. It's their money so we have to abide by any rules and criteria they set if we want some of it.

I stand by my earlier statement that it isn't fair on those who've been declined, especially those who've followed the rule book and done everything they've been asked in an honest way.

The criteria sucks, I completely agree but a large amount of people already hate that the NHS is funding these operations when, in their opinion, "it's our own fault we can't stop eating" so we shouldn't give them more ammunition by publicly stating that we should lie in order to try and qualify.

Actually it's our money. That's what we pay our national insurance contributions and taxes for. So in my opinion, they make us jump through hoops for something we are paying for with our own money.

Paula Lewis said:
Actually it's our money. That's what we pay our national insurance contributions and taxes for. So in my opinion, they make us jump through hoops for something we are paying for with our own money.

It stopped being our money the moment we paid it to the government. It's the governments money for the services they've provided us.

Back