• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gaining!! Pre op

Well done for getting on the scales. I know it helped me, but was a MASSIVE thing to do, when I was a t my biggest and in denial. Anoither thing I did too take control and ownership was enster my stats in my signature and at the side. It took me a while to do,( even though nobody on here actually knows us,) as for any living creature to know I was over twnety stone ( and ALOT over 20 stone) mortified me. I had to face up to my weight, and very usefully my BMI, every time I came on to post. It really has helped me focuss. Maybe you will feel doing that helpful one day soon.
Now then.
The milkdiet? Why??? Unless you have to shift a lot of poundsage quickly it may be a bad idea. Not coz it's unhealthy. I think it's pretty healthy and do it myself for a couple of days now and again when I'm 'off' food. However, the pre-op diets are so severe because they are clearing the store of glucogen in the liver. This mkaes the liver smaller and more pliable so the surgeon can operate. In any diet the first store we lose is the glycogen store. A good side effect of the liver reducing diets is that we also lose a shed load of weight. But, the big loss is short lived. You get rid of a lot of glycogen and fluid retained in tissue quickly for the first two or three weeks. After that we have to burn fat . To lose a pound of fat you need a calorie decifit of 3,500 ( ie a pound of fat + 3500 calories). If your glycogen is already depleted it wont deplete again so your weight loss on your real pre-op diet will be less. If it appears you havent followed the pre-op diet some surgeons will not go ahead with surgery.
Please think about this.
And ,final bit of nagging coming now- you will be deprived of almost all food type pleasure for many months after your op so why punish yourself now if your weight gain is small. enjoy your last few weeks of free eating ( in moderation and making healthy choices) while you can.
Good luck xx

Hi,

I haven't had surgery yet!... 25th may :)

But i Was just wondering if anyone has gained weight!!

I have gained since my last appointment (don't know how much... Dread 2 think!!)

I have my pre op appointment on the 1st may...

Gaining...This I think is due 2 giving up smoking... Which is good thing but slightly worried I'm gonna get told off lol or refused at the worst

Chichester.. St Richards

X jo X

Hey love

I had my pre op on Wednesday, I'd gained about 4lb. They commented but I said that with my recent op (appendix) I'd struggled bla de bla de bla its nothing they haven't heard before I'm sure!

My funding letter is highlighted in bold not to perform op if put on any weight from date of letter but tbh st Richards are so darn amazing they totally understand we all have food/weight issues and asides from commenting on the fact I had gained they went ahead as normal.

I asked the nurse if there was ANYTHING. That would prevent me, at this stage from having the op and she sAid no, unless my bloods showed me to be badly anaemic. Even if they discovered I have diabetes (which I don't) she said they would still go ahead on the basis that the op would probably cure if not improve the situation so even that would not stop them from going ahead.

Hope that helps!! My funding is west kent pct xx

Hope that helps !
Good luck xx

Bex

Just a little thing but wanted to mention you can't actually cure diabetes. Once you have it that's it. I wish I had known that before I had it because I honestly believed that if I got diabetes I would then go on a diet and lose weight and be cured. I was gobsmacked to be told that although weight loss will improve the blood sugar levels and keep it under control and surgery will also help, it won't be cured - just managed.

Back