• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Me - Pre Op

starry

HI everyone
well after lurking for ages and gaining so many tips I thought I had better say about me !!!

I am 32 and have 3 boys - 8, 3 and 2.
The two little ones have special needs so life can be a bit hectic !!! I have a great husband who supports me fully.

Have been overweight since birth !!! school uniforms didnt fit, got bullied through school and have missed out on a lot due to being fat.

Had terrible pregnancies resulting in 3 premature babies all down to me being fat.

Have done all the diets lost loads gained even more same old story.

So finally I decided to accept I had a problem and got help.
Went to my GP who was great went for funding and got it and luckily been referred to St Richards. took 6 months from GP to funding approved

I weigh 20stone but I have diabetes high blood pressure and sleep apnoea. So as you can see I am a healthy chick !! would shoot me if I was a horse !!

was referred Late july 08 so hopefully will get appoinment soon. Told last week now seeing Junes referrals so hopefully soon.
I see this year as the start of my life and feel very positive - I know there are downs and struggles but right now I am focusing on now and will take each day as it comes -

any good questions for the consultation that you wished you asked ??

also do they let you TRY and lose weight before the op to be safer under anasethetic ????

and for all those people out there who think it is an easy option - I DONT CARE !!! I have done my beating up on myself for too long i made the decision - took control and am doing it !!!

PS how do your Hubbys feel about this - mine says fine but I am not so sure !!!

tendersage

Welcome to minimins and well done on taking control of your life, its a hard step as we all know. Wont be long before you join the losing team :) i went private and lost 24lb prior to my op i do not know how the NHS works on this but i should think as soon as fundings approved losing weight would be a good move

jaynefrances

Hi Starry
Its nice to hear other peoples stories !
Unfortunately i can't offer you much advice as we seem to be at the same stage in our journey but i just wanted to say hi and let you know there is someone else out there asking the same questions !!
I too am paranoid that people will think i'm "cheating" or taking the "easy option", we both know that after years of dieting and with people depending on us staying alive it is far from the easy option.
Good luck, keep us all posted with how you get on :)
Jayne

phatgirl

Hiya. Welcome to minimins. Best of luck on your journey to wls.

As for questions to ask I think someone started a thread like that, but I don't know where it is (maybe someone could find it?). What surgery do you want? I had my bypass 11 weeks ago and I am doing really well. My hubby is happy because I am happy, however he does like me plump! Many surgeons do let you try to lose weight after your op has been funded & arranged, most surgeons also have you do a liver-shrinking diet to make the op safer. I lost 20lbs on mine.

This is a friendly & supportive group so jump in and start posting.

Nic:p

mintball

i'm starting my pre-op diet tomorrow for one week i'll keep you posted hon x x x

And good luck

Gerry

Welcome aboard Starry.

Personally I get rather rattled when people who don't have weight problems use the expression "It's the easy way out" in relation to Gastric surgery of any sort. It most certainly isn't. It's a very big decision to make. It is not without it's concerns, worries & risks etc. We still have to work at what we eat afterwards and the exercise to help tone up. Next time someone says that, ask them if they would do it? If not, say "No, well it is a very big decision to make and not everyone has the guts (no pun intended) to do it". That usually wipes the smile off their smug faces.

My daughter's Mother in Law has been making some pretty unsavoury references about me and also saying things to my daughter with reference to me, saying that if she doesn't loose weight, then she will end up having to have a bypass like me. I don't have to have one. I have chosen to do it.

You go for it, and ignore what others have to say unless they are supportive. Some people just don't want to try and understand.