• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gammon joint Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

salski

Mmmmmm Im sat here in the middle of having a break from my wonderful tea!

I got a gammon joint, only a small one £3.30's worth.

I soaked it in cold water over night,
put it in the slow cooker on a trivet of an onion halved, 3 celery sticks chopped and 2 carrots, half a glass of water, 4 peppercorns and some mixed herbs.

Cooked it on high for about 3 hours, knocked it down to low for an hour and removed the gammon (removed the fat and placed ot to cool)

With the veg and the liquor I added it to a pan, added split red lentils and brown rice, added more water and made a soup! Its so good. Really good! Added a pinch of chilli flakes, chopped some of the gammon and Im sat here now! ITS BOOTYFUL! Cheap and cheerful.
Hubby is having gammon egg and chips and there will be enough for another meal!

Sal - TRY IT!!

sounds lush sweets xx

Does sound nice xxx

Well done Sal... a good week for you love... saving and economising and doing well all around... this sounds 'truly scrumptious too'... enjoy your banquet! Love and hugs xxx

Thats a good Scouse favorite!Peawack soup.Good cooks dont waste a thing.Try the same with the bones from lamb with carrots.onions,potato and barley.Or chicken carcase veg and rice.

Sounds lovely Sal could just eat some gammon. I have a recipe which is gorgeous for gammon (although it sounds REALLY odd!) Do it exactly like you have but replace the water with a litre of diet coke! I saw it on TV and thought how odd - but do you know it works and it is lush. Can still add the barley/lentils and anything else you want with extra water nearer the end. It is yummy! Honest!

I had a large gammon joint of me mom (ordered in error when my little sister did her online shopping) and i did it in diet coke for 11 hours in the slow cooker, took it out, stripped the rind and most the fat off and drizzled honey over it and roasted it for 40 minutes... OMG it was better than any sex i've ever had (almost), only bad thing was it didn't last forever...

Sal your's sounds good enough to send out in a parcel to a friend in the midlands :) xx

You lot make me laugh . . . mmmmm shall we all tell our husbands/partners/significant others that a nice bit of gammon cooked in coke is better than sex . . . although thinking about it I tend to agree!!

ROFLMFAO! It was bleeding yummy! And seen as though hubby is still ill...mine was better than sex! Hahaha

I've never tried a gammon joint as I wasn't sure how to cook it. It sounds easy in the slow cooker though. Thanks Sal, I shall try this.
My mum used to buy a ham bone from the butcher to make pea and ham soup with, with yellow split peas. It was yummy.

I do that with a ham hock and marrofat peas. Soak the peas over night, soak the ham in cold water, boil the ham, add peas and serve :) Mmmmm
Never cooked a gammon before tonight. That coke recipe isnt supposed to work unless its full fat coke - its the sugar in it apparently. So dunno if diet coke would work? xx

Sal i did it with diet coke and it was delicious xx

Well there you go then! I was a bit apprehensive about trying it with full fat. I got my mum to do it at new year and it was yummy, but if diet works - I might have a go!
Thanks guys xx

I wouldn't worry about the full fat bit Sal, anytime now you'll be losing 8lbs or so without really trying :) xx

I dont know I am reading through all these recipes, my mouth is watering and all I can is is milk or jelly!!

Back