• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

For anybody thinking of getting a band

hollywood30

Hi everyone,

I wanted to do a post for anybody thinking about getting a gastric band. So if thats you your probably thinking.. so, is it worth it?

In my opinion no, If I could go back I wouldnt of had it, for me its been total hell. (I know for some of you its worked fine)

I have had mine 6 months now and only lost 2 stone which most of it was pre op. Ive had constant problems with fluid going missing and my providers havent been any help atall.

Things I cant do now I have a band:

Cant eat bread
Cant eat meat (except for sausage and mince)
Cant eat out as when I have I have to run the toilet and throw up.
Cant eat at partys or with friends (cant drink and eat at same time)
Cant eat pasta or rice

This is only a few of the things I cant do now :( My advice to all would be to thoroughly think about it before deciding to go ahead. LISTEN to the negative posts. I myself ignored all negative posts on here before surgery and thought people were exagerrating and I didnt think it would be this hard having a band. Right now Im considering going back to a de-fill as I cant keep much food down atall.

Feel free to ask me any questions just wanted to give my honest opinion about the band. Thanks x

I am in total agreement with you! I had problems with mine too. I went private in 2006 to have my band at the Nuffield in Glasgow and had it converted to a sleeve privately by Spire Murrayfield in September this year. I had no come-back sadly as I was warned by my surgeon it could slip and there could be problems. My band slipped badly and my port completely flipped. I have a torn oesophagus (sp) because of all the vomiting. I spent £100 per fill/un-fill over 6 years which has been very, very expensive. (totalling more than £5000)I had no after-care...they just wanted my money so they weren't bothered whether it was working for me or not. So I have forked out on 2 private ops and all the adjusting and it's only now I am happy. I just wish I had done it sooner. I saw the likes of Fern Britten eating on This Morning after she had her band, and wondered why I couldn't do the same. I lost 6 stone through not being able to eat before having it loosened completely because I was so fed up with it. I gained all my weight back yet I would still vomit when eating certain things. It works well for so many people and I admire anyone who can make it work for them. I just wish it could have worked for me :( xx

Hi everyone,

I wanted to do a post for anybody thinking about getting a gastric band. So if thats you your probably thinking.. so, is it worth it?

In my opinion no, If I could go back I wouldnt of had it, for me its been total hell. (I know for some of you its worked fine)

I have had mine 6 months now and only lost 2 stone which most of it was pre op. Ive had constant problems with fluid going missing and my providers havent been any help atall.

Things I cant do now I have a band:

Cant eat bread
Cant eat meat (except for sausage and mince)
Cant eat out as when I have I have to run the toilet and throw up.
Cant eat at partys or with friends (cant drink and eat at same time)
Cant eat pasta or rice

This is only a few of the things I cant do now :( My advice to all would be to thoroughly think about it before deciding to go ahead. LISTEN to the negative posts. I myself ignored all negative posts on here before surgery and thought people were exagerrating and I didnt think it would be this hard having a band. Right now Im considering going back to a de-fill as I cant keep much food down atall.

Feel free to ask me any questions just wanted to give my honest opinion about the band. Thanks x[/QUO

Hello there - sorry to hear your not happy with your band, perhaps if your provider looked into why the fluid keeps going awry things would improve for you - there could be a fault in the band/perhaps surgery wasnt successful in as far as tubing could have come apart/wasnt attached in first place etc - thats could be mainly down to your provider not investigating and the actual band itself being faulty ( hope that makes sense) . x x

With regards to certain foods your not able to eat, was you not made aware of these pre op????? having the band is about making life choices and changes in foods you eat, again if you wasnt made aware of these its down to your provider not the band, or perhaps you was made aware of these and decided to go ahead anyway, sorry but thats not the bands fault ( sorry not having a pop but some ppl ( not all ) do not realise the changes that they will have to make post op and find it more difficult to adapt which I totally understand and it does take time to make those changes ( the drinking and eating rule was very hard for me as I used to eat and drink at the same time, after a period of time it becomes 2nd nature not to ask for a drink with a meal) .

Eating and drinking at the same time , you should have been made aware of this before being banded ( I know I was) , if you wasnt then I can understand the frustration. How many mils do you have in your band???? just wondering why your not able to keep much down at all - I apologize in advance if my reply upsets you in anyway its not my intention, but ppl always tend to blame the band when a gr8 percentage of the time its bad info & aftercare from the provider or people cannot simply adjust to being banded( Not e1 is the same I know and each to their own) have you thought about where u go from here??? Bypass , Sleeve etc??? not sure what you have told your provider etc - Really wishing you all the best - Bluediamond. x x ;)

Hi Bluediamond,

I don't know about hollywood30, but I was never told about the no eating and drinking and with regards to food, I was told to make the right choices. That's all. In fact, the surgeon who did my sleeve was horrified about the fact when I left the hospital after my op, I wasn't given some sort of pack to tell me what to do after surgery. I asked for it but was told I was just to make the right choices. He was also horrified at the lack of aftercare, no dietician, no cousellor. I'm a chef so I know what's right and what's wrong, that's easy. But if you can't get salad, fruit, veg, meat and fish down your throat, you will turn to the food that DOES go down. (my fault I know, but what else could be done if he was refusing to help me?)Obviously my band had slipped badly and my port had flipped....according to my band surgeon, after doing a barium swallow, nothing was wrong. I knew there was something wrong but he wouldn't listen to me. His nurses knew there was something wrong but he wouldn't do anything. The first thing my surgeon who did the sleeve did was to do a barium swallow and he showed me how far my band had slipped and the state of my throat and my port.
As I said, I know it works for many people and I admire them because it's not easy. I am sad it didn't work for me, but I am glad it's out of my body! I actually wish I had known about forums like this when I had my band, maybe it would have turned out differently. I am not blaming the band either, i am blaming the lack of info and aftercare that was missing for me. I did my research...apparantly I had my surgery done by THE best bariatric surgeon in Scotland. Unfortunately it didn't work in my favour. The sleeve, however, has. :) xx

Hi Bluediamond,

I don't know about hollywood30, but I was never told about the no eating and drinking and with regards to food, I was told to make the right choices. That's all. In fact, the surgeon who did my sleeve was horrified about the fact when I left the hospital after my op, I wasn't given some sort of pack to tell me what to do after surgery. I asked for it but was told I was just to make the right choices. He was also horrified at the lack of aftercare, no dietician, no cousellor. I'm a chef so I know what's right and what's wrong, that's easy. But if you can't get salad, fruit, veg, meat and fish down your throat, you will turn to the food that DOES go down. (my fault I know, but what else could be done if he was refusing to help me?)Obviously my band had slipped badly and my port had flipped....according to my band surgeon, after doing a barium swallow, nothing was wrong. I knew there was something wrong but he wouldn't listen to me. His nurses knew there was something wrong but he wouldn't do anything. The first thing my surgeon who did the sleeve did was to do a barium swallow and he showed me how far my band had slipped and the state of my throat and my port.
As I said, I know it works for many people and I admire them because it's not easy. I am sad it didn't work for me, but I am glad it's out of my body! I actually wish I had known about forums like this when I had my band, maybe it would have turned out differently. I am not blaming the band either, i am blaming the lack of info and aftercare that was missing for me. I did my research...apparantly I had my surgery done by THE best bariatric surgeon in Scotland. Unfortunately it didn't work in my favour. The sleeve, however, has. :) xx

This is exactly my point hun it wasnt through yours or the bands fault it was your provider who neglected to help/advise you and thank you for raising this point. Thank you for your reply and good luck with your sleeve - BD xxx

Thanks BD :) xx

i am going through the hospital group for my band, i have gone into it with my eyes wide open. they have explained all of this to me, and i have done my own research on sites like this one for personal experiences and scientific/factual information on other sites. i could never opt for an operation without fully researching the facts myself. also researching the providers for good and negative feed backthe hospital group provide 2 years unlimited aftercare... dieticians, nurses, follow ups and a briliant patient care co-ordinator. all of which are easily accessible and helpful.from the many posts I have read, most problems are with the persons eating habits ie... eating too fast/too much or the wrong foods, the provider has failed them, or the band is over tight .the hospital group provide 2 years unlimited aftercare... dieticians, nurses, follow ups and a briliant patient care co-ordinator. all of which are easily accessible and helpful.

Sorry for late reply everyone. Im with the hospital group. They did an xray and
apparently all is fine however when they check for fluid some
Is always missing. I dont think they even care
To be honest theyre just like oh well. I was only told i wouldnt be able to eat bread no
Other info was given to me. My food gets stuck after like 2 bites of food its
Horrible :(

So glad youre now ok with your sleeve! I wont ever get any sort of op again,mainly because i cant afford it but also because of my bad band experience lol

Well I'm going with THG and they have given me LOADS of pre-op info. I have read through the booklet and all the paperwork and I'm well aware of everything. It's all extremely clear and explains absolutely everything.

I'm sorry you've had such a rough time, but I am comforted by reading posts from people who've had a positive experience.

I hope everything can be put right for you.

I went with THG and couldnt be happier (so far!) I have had my band 2.5months so it is early days but I have had heaps of advice, went into it fully informed and aware of the lifestyle changes and implications of a band and I am really fine with it.

I eat out all the time probably weekly...except the two days after a fill. I just choose sensible options and dont over-do it. I eat at work in the staff room and sit down with family all the time. I have not vomitted once since being banded.

I am so sorry it has not been right for you...much love x

Wow, I'm sorry things have been so tough for you. I've only been banded a month (VERY early days!) but so far I can't fault THG. Have you tried asking for a different nurse advisor, see if someone else will be able to figure out why things are going awry for you? x

Its the management of the whole company, the nurse can only refer me of which she has then it goes no further. Theres clearly a problem but they are trying to get around it, fluid is clearly getting lost somewhere but they simply brush it off and say im 'under observation', theyve been aware of my problems for over a year. Im glad you've had good experiences but i havent and im not the only one either. Once your surgical cover is up they just dont care.

So glad youre now ok with your sleeve! I wont ever get any sort of op again,mainly because i cant afford it but also because of my bad band experience lol

Thanks hun. Unfortunately because of my band being so tight and cutting through my stomach, my sleeve had to be converted to a bypass (of sorts) so a third op! lol I am fortunate to have the lovely and generous parents I have who have funded it all for me because they know the probs I went through. I can't imagine where I would be now if I hadn't had my sleeve. The bypass has been wonderful. I can eat everything, just less of it and I feel no hunger and I feel restriction. It's so nice being able to eat fruit, salad and veg! I am overdosing on it!
I hope they manage to sort you out. If I were you I would kick up a fuss and demand a barium swallow. They can't leave you the way you are surely? :(

Is that the one were you have an xray and drink some weird
Drink? If do ive had that, thats the one were they said nothing was wrong, but still when i get fluid checks fluid is always missing. The nurse thinks
He didnt do it properly as i wasnt even in there that long, well not long enough to detect a slow leak she said. Wow that sounds good, wish i was like
That lol thats all i ever wanted from the band x

It's all I ever wanted too so I feel your pain!

My (gastric band) team told me the same thing. They said there was nothing wrong after they did a barium swallow. I didn't believe them so I asked my doc to refer me to a different private hospital for a second opinion. They actually showed me how badly my band had slipped and how tight it was. Why don't you go to your GP and ask to be referred to a different hospital? It will cost you to have it done, but it may be worth it in the long run. xx

I think i might do that, didnt actually think of that. Ill see how my de fill goes
And go from there. Thanks :) xx

Its so sad hearing all these negative and sad experiences with the band. I am 3 months post op with my band done by surgicare( THG). I can't really complain as I can eat virtually anything and everything without any heaps or difficulty.
However, I sometimes get frighten by some stories and people's experience with the band which makes me ask myself if I made the right decision or I should have gone for gastric wrap or sleeve which are also less invasive and also a huge success.. Well that is done now; and my inspiration now comes by taking on the positive experiences I read from most banders on this forum. I just need to carry on following the rules of the band and then pray and hope that things continue to go nicely as they are.
Sorry about your experience and I hope they resolve your situation soon enough.

Last edited:
im 4 years post op banded I have a slipped band now emptied all weights gone back and im reverting to bypass I don't know many long term banders because they do seem to have a habbit of failing BUT it did work very well initially and im happy that due to the weight I lost I had a baby. I think in the band will shortly become obsoleat as bariatrics moves forward

Back