• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

For anybody thinking of getting a band

I wonder what would happen if your band slipped on a private band? I paid privately and i know if mine slipped id never be able to afford the op to remove it :(

some providers have insurance private wise for issues. I have 3 year insurance cover for post op band issues (different to the 2 year post op care package)

@hollywood30 its 'normal' for some fluid to be lost because some will remain in the tubing that connects to the port. So unless its a significant amount ie half gone, they may be worrying you unduly!?

I have never experienced being too tight so I can't begin to imagine how you are feeling. If you are being sick often then you will probably be experiencing further restriction from your irritated tum.

I hope the defill helps and you get the support your entitled to. The kind of support you shouldn't have to kick up a fuss for. You need a back to basics appointment with your dietician at the very least.

Good luck hun! x

@Sashie1977, a barium swallow is used to check for leaks BUT its very bizarre that the equipment they use to check for leaks doesn't pick up a slipped band!? Something not right there - or is my assumption too simple do you think?

I'm glad you were able to get a second opinion but its shocking that they didn't pick up on the issue :confused:

@moomoo1 long term bander here! and a not failed one either :D

I agree the NHS may stop offering bands to patients - it costs them a fortune when people fail their band and come back for more surgery. They should invest more in pre op assessments and the patient getting the right op for them - first time!

It's a sad fact that some people abuse the surgery they have had through the NHS or paid for themselves and its crazy to think people put themselves through an operation with no intention of following the rules. Fortunately there are many more of us who are prepared to work with their surgery and unfortunately there are those who for no fault of their own - the surgery just doesn't work.

Having said that it's heartening to hear that you got the support and chance to have the bypass, after your band slipped. Even better that you had a baby too ;)

It's a shame people can't rely on their private providers for the same :confused:

@pauladerm don't worry hun, just do as you said and follow the rules :D

The wrap may be classed as also less invasive but the results (nothing long term available yet) are similar to the band.

The sleeve on the other hand, involves removing a large part of your stomach, I would class that as invasive.

Both are restrictive only procedures - the same as the band. Although some sleevers lose their appetite and others dump - its not an exact science ;) xx

I wonder what would happen if your band slipped on a private band? I paid privately and i know if mine slipped id never be able to afford the op to remove it :(

Mine was done privately. They told me there was nothing wrong with it, I had no aftercare and had to pay £100 per fill/unfill. I had to go to another private hospital in another city to be seen. NHS wouldn't help me from the start unfortunately.

@hollywood30 its 'normal' for some fluid to be lost because some will remain in the tubing that connects to the port. So unless its a significant amount ie half gone, they may be worrying you unduly!?

I have never experienced being too tight so I can't begin to imagine how you are feeling. If you are being sick often then you will probably be experiencing further restriction from your irritated tum.

I hope the defill helps and you get the support your entitled to. The kind of support you shouldn't have to kick up a fuss for. You need a back to basics appointment with your dietician at the very least.

Good luck hun! x

@Sashie1977, a barium swallow is used to check for leaks BUT its very bizarre that the equipment they use to check for leaks doesn't pick up a slipped band!? Something not right there - or is my assumption too simple do you think?

I'm glad you were able to get a second opinion but its shocking that they didn't pick up on the issue :confused:

@moomoo1 long term bander here! and a not failed one either :D

I agree the NHS may stop offering bands to patients - it costs them a fortune when people fail their band and come back for more surgery. They should invest more in pre op assessments and the patient getting the right op for them - first time!

It's a sad fact that some people abuse the surgery they have had through the NHS or paid for themselves and its crazy to think people put themselves through an operation with no intention of following the rules. Fortunately there are many more of us who are prepared to work with their surgery and unfortunately there are those who for no fault of their own - the surgery just doesn't work.

Having said that it's heartening to hear that you got the support and chance to have the bypass, after your band slipped. Even better that you had a baby too ;)

It's a shame people can't rely on their private providers for the same :confused:

@pauladerm don't worry hun, just do as you said and follow the rules :D

The wrap may be classed as also less invasive but the results (nothing long term available yet) are similar to the band.

The sleeve on the other hand, involves removing a large part of your stomach, I would class that as invasive.

Both are restrictive only procedures - the same as the band. Although some sleevers lose their appetite and others dump - its not an exact science ;) xx

The team who did my sleeve and bypass were the ones who picked up on the slipped band with the barium swallow. I am convinced my team who did the band were lying to me. I knew it wasn't right from the start and they did a barium swallow and told me everything was fine......it wasn't.

The team who did my sleeve and bypass were the ones who picked up on the slipped band with the barium swallow. I am convinced my team who did the band were lying to me. I knew it wasn't right from the start and they did a barium swallow and told me everything was fine......it wasn't.

Exactly! its shocking, they must of been lying ....:mad:

Exactly! its shocking, they must of been lying ....:mad:

To make matters worse, he is meant to be the best band surgeon in Scotland! I thought I was getting the very best. Clearly not! Xx

Originally I had only every thought about a Band because everyone only refered to this New Procedure over the last few years. I had Originally contact my Consultant for this process but I Never know of this (top up band). Its like pay as you go! I didnt want to pay £7000 only to have to pay for a life term of payments for refills. This totally baffaled me and I was advised that I should consider my options of a Gastric Sleeve Process instead. Joining here Now over the last few days I know Ive made the Right Move to go ahead, after watching endless Operations on Youtube and Googling Different Procedures. Ive not had my Operation yet (6th Nov)and yes I understand its not as invasive as Gastric Bypass or Not as simple as a Band. But Hopefully for me listening to all the encouraging storys here and Other sites I can only say I feel totally Confident in going ahead like most of you. We Need to do our own research before speaking to any consultant and considering all the options and thats you feel its the correct Procedure for you. good luck in whatever your decisions are.

Last edited:
Ive not had my Operation yet (6th Nov)and yes I understand its not as invasive as Gastric Bypass or Not as simple as a Band.

there is nothing particularly simple about a band! It's a myth that it's an easy method of Wls!

Last edited:
I agree Top-Kat...it is probably one of the hardest methods of weight loss surgery. Your weight loss is amazing, congratulations xx

I'd say it's the hardest. I imagine you have to have so much willpower to avoid foods a bypasser wouldn't be able to eat, due to the fat/sugar content. Plus you still experience hunger. I really applaud people like you Kat who have done fantastically well with your bands. I knew a band wasn't right for me as I have no willpower. Plus if I had the opportunity to cheat, I would.

Last edited:
That's why its so important to be honest with yourself and your team about your eating habits!

For me the band is perfect, I don't have a sweet tooth and I no longer eat large portions.

While it may not suit everyone, I like the way I can control my band ... I can eat a reasonable amount of food because I have chosen not to go tooooo tight with the restriction. Maybe 1/2 - 2/3 of a dinner plate .... Which is far less than I used to though. So I am really happy how my band has worked for me :D

just edited realisng id commented already what I dick! lol

Last edited:
I had my op through Spire hospitals and i have to say, i have found them great. I received a big pack to get stuck into before i even had the op explaining all the different ops, pre op diets and post op diets, with portion guides and examples of what to eat. Also included was a longterm lifestyle plan with guidelines for exercise and eating long term. I felt reassured and safe because i had had time to digest all the information, plan and cook meals in preperation for now. We were also given discharge booklets with info a huge bag of meds, and two years follow up care fills, e.t.c. From what i read the hospital group is also very good.

Back