• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Band advice

baby jayne

:)

Hi All
I am going to be having a GB in the new year and need help and advice on everything and anything there is to know please.

I am wandering if I should have the band before or after I go on Holiday to America in March?
Also do I have to take out extra insurance because I have a band?
I have just posted a couple of questions I need advice on, these are on the Hospital Group link (oops mistake)should have started a new thread.

Please help :D:);)

Hi Jayne,

Am a bypasser so can't help with the questions, but wanted to welcome you to Mini's and wish you luck on your surgical journey :)

Shel

i dont know about insurance but i cant see having the band making a difference your holiday as long as been done more than a few weeks befor you go you dont have restriction till after a few fills so unless it affects flying it shouldnt be an issue and good luck

Hi there...I had my band done in May and was told that I could travel after 2 weeks (just incase there was a complication).
You would need to speak with your Insurance Company about it, but you shouldnt have a problem Hun.

Hi,

I agree, the sooner you get it done the earlier you will recover. I also took about 5/6 weeks to recover. Then go on hols and have your fill when you get back. Good luck.
K x

Thanks for replies, I think I will have done before I go.
How long where you of work for if the recovery was 5/6 weeks as I am told that I only need 2/3 days of work?

I had 4 days off. When i went back I was lifting and pulling pallets too soon. so had to take 2weeks off sick. I was working the whole time at my main job Childminding tho as it does not require lifting etc. All depends on you and your type of work. Take care R x

Thanks
Could anyone tell me if after surgery Alcohol can be drunk and if so what are the effects e.g will I become a lightweight lol!
I am going to have op in Jan now...could you tell me who you went with, costs and recomendations please? Its a mind field out there.
Still worried about complications e.g if abroad and band slips etc...do any of you declare band to travel ins companys? has anyone had complications abroad?

Also have any of you ever had any complications after surgery?
I am prob worrying for nothing I know.

Thanks
Could anyone tell me if after surgery Alcohol can be drunk and if so what are the effects e.g will I become a lightweight lol!
I am going to have op in Jan now...could you tell me who you went with, costs and recomendations please? Its a mind field out there.
Still worried about complications e.g if abroad and band slips etc...do any of you declare band to travel ins companys? has anyone had complications abroad?

Also have any of you ever had any complications after surgery?
I am prob worrying for nothing I know.

Alcohol can be drank after the op, although I find it hard to drink fizz. I can have anything that is flat. Although there is a member on here who can drink fizz with ease (think her name is liz). Im not a lightweight.

I had my surgery with surgicare, at the alexandra hosp in stockport and with Dr Ammori. I could not recommend them enough they were amazing and remain to surprise me with their kind and caring attitudes to this day.

I havent had any complications at all. Try not to focus on the negatives, most people who have complications go abroad for the cheap option (not all of them have complications tho).

I was the most nervous person on the world b4 my op. Once Id had it done the worries melted away and I felt very uplifted. I was on a total high the day after my op, walking up and down the corridor to aid my recovery (tv wasnt interesting).

Stay positive, you can do it and it will go well. Take care R x

Thanks again for your advice :), I am thinking of either going with Spire Hospitals (Murray Fields, surgeon David Kerrigan) or a company called Weight Loss surgery (Franco Favratti surgeon).
I live in Liverpool so I am limited really as I dont want to travel to far to have op then fills. Talking about fills how much are they after the first year free?

Mr Ammouri is someone I have in mind as he is very reputable but the fills are a lot more expensive with Surgicare than the other 2 companys above and it is £500 dearer through them for the op itself. Any advice please would really help with my decision.

At the mo the band is £7450 with three fills and 2years aftercare with surgicare. I was told if i need further fills they are £99 at the mo but may go up in the new year. HTH. Regards R x

Thanks WLH

What was the aftercare like with Surgicare?
I must have been getting mixed up with the prices as I thought they where £7995 and the band fills where £150....do they do all their band fills by xray?

How many fills have you had and do you get any taken out when you fly over 3hrs?

Do you recommend them?

Thanks again. :jelous:

Firstly Jayne, can I just ask who told you about Dr Kerrigan because when I phoned the Liverpool hospital (cant remember if it was Murrayfield or not) I was told that he has now retired???

It was about may/june I enquired, was I given duff information?

I never had a de-fill when I flew to the States but I couldnt hardly eat anything which suited me as I wanted the weight off as fast as possible.:D

Forgot to say that Michael Van den Bossche is sposed to be the leading surgeon in Gastric Banding, not only in the UK but in all of Europe too according to people on the WLS forums.

But I think it depends on ones personal experience, as I have said I was very happy with my surgery apart from the size of the sewing...he does really big stitches.

my daughter went with the Hosp Group and she didnt hardly have any scars as they used the 'glue' method, not stitches, far better to my mind.

Last edited:
Spire Murrayfield is just up the road from me :)

Back