• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Band advice

As far as the website says he is still there, he is a bit young to retire I think by his photograph...I am waiting on a call back from them so I will let you know hun.

Thanks WLH

What was the aftercare like with Surgicare?
I must have been getting mixed up with the prices as I thought they where £7995 and the band fills where £150....do they do all their band fills by xray?

How many fills have you had and do you get any taken out when you fly over 3hrs?

Do you recommend them?

Thanks again. :jelous:

I do recommend them yes. They have been fantastic. Mr Ammori is such a nice man, kind, caring and very professional too. No its definitely £7450 includes 2 years aftercare and 3 band fills.

I havent had my 1st fill yet cos only had it fitted on 28th nov. Im getting my 1st fill mid jan so I will let you kno. i dont think you need a defill to fly over 3hrs. Travel companies and insurance need not even kno of it. You would need to ask your care providers to be sure tho. I believe they do the fills by xray yes. thats what i was told. HTH. Regards R x

Forgot to say that Michael Van den Bossche is sposed to be the leading surgeon in Gastric Banding, not only in the UK but in all of Europe too according to people on the WLS forums.

But I think it depends on ones personal experience, as I have said I was very happy with my surgery apart from the size of the sewing...he does really big stitches.

my daughter went with the Hosp Group and she didnt hardly have any scars as they used the 'glue' method, not stitches, far better to my mind.

Mr Ammori is considered the leading surgeon by the NHS for the Uk.

You never can tell tho. They r probably both really good surgeons. I had the glue method and I have very little scarring too. Everyone has a different experience whichever surgeon you choose tho. I kno a few ppl who recommend the surgeon I had, but then he works the hospitals in my area and they all had a great experience with him as their surgeon. Not found any1 yet who hasnt. There is time i suppose tho. Good luck with your wls journeys. Take care R x

I am going to find out more when the holiday is over about Spire and Surgicare as it will be between them who I go with. I was wandering Shelbel if you live near Murrayfields why did you not go with them?
WLH you have inspired me as I am same size you started at & height. good luck

As far as the website says he is still there, he is a bit young to retire I think by his photograph...I am waiting on a call back from them so I will let you know hun.

I apologise B.jayne, he hasnt retired, he has cut down on his workload, apparently because of ill-health.

But I was deffo told by the hospital in Liverpool where he used to do obesity surgery that he's no longer there.

I was certain it was Murray field, it was when I was trying to get a consultation, only this year hunny.

I'm trying to find the best option and the best price for myself atm to have my band replaced, and its driving me nutz.:confused:

Hi Muppet

Why are you having your band replaced? I thought when they are in they are there for life?
Have a look at Surgicare they have a very reputable surgeon Mr Ammouri.
Let me know how you get on.

Cheers x

I am going to find out more when the holiday is over about Spire and Surgicare as it will be between them who I go with. I was wandering Shelbel if you live near Murrayfields why did you not go with them?
WLH you have inspired me as I am same size you started at & height. good luck

Because mine was NHS funded and they contract to Macclesfield.

Hi Muppet

Why are you having your band replaced? I thought when they are in they are there for life?
Have a look at Surgicare they have a very reputable surgeon Mr Ammouri.
Let me know how you get on.

Cheers x

BJ, I am having my band replaced because after 2 years it developed a leak, I woke up one day in February with no restriction and had it confirmed by a Contrast Study that the actual band has a hole in it.

I will find the link to my story and post it here for you, if you'd like to read it hunny.:D

I dont want to pay over £6000 BJ because I have already paid out over £6500, and its far too much money for me.

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/67709-my-story.html

Seems this link doesnt work duh!! God knows why.

| posted it about 4 weeks ago I think

Last edited:
Oh I see Shell, thought even with funding it would make more sense for it to be closer to home, but I supose its all down to where they can fit you in etc. Wish I could get funding but I have been refused :cry::cry:.I have PCOS and a history of heart disease and diabetes along with morbid obesity in the family, but as my BMI is under 40 and I do not have any med problems (yet) I have to pay :cry:.

Muppet thats awful about your band, is this common? Its a bit worrying that this has happened. How could this happen would it be that the last fill burst it?
Wouldn't the company you had it done with discount another op?
Have you gained any weight since the restriction? sorry quiestions, quiestions!!
Tell me the name of the thread you posted as the link isn't working hun.:)

The link works if you copy and paste it rather than just click on it. Or click here

Thanks Shell

Just read it, wow that is so annoying and sad that Muppet has to fund the surgery herself!

Does anyone know of any medical insurance companys that will insure bands and surgery?

Hope you get it funded soon Muppet xx

Thanx Shelbell for that.

BJ, I have to pay for the new op myself, the manufacturer wont pay until they have examined the leaking bad to determine whether the band was faulty. And then, who's to say they will admit liability, I have reached the stage where I dont trust anyone anymore.

I felt sure that my surgeon would at least give me a discount, but no....I think I need a surgeon who cares more about his patients than he does about money.

Harsh though it may seem for me to say that, but its sadly how I feel.

Also I want an independent person to examine the band once its removed before the manufacterer does, doesnt that seem right to you folks?

After all who knows really without examining it what caused the hole, it could have been done when the surgeon couldnt find the port after 3 attempts when i went to him for a fill??

I had extreme bruising, and never went to him for another fill, except for the time I thought I had a leak, it traumatised me too much it was so painful.

I think its about time we should be offered some sort of guarentee against faulty bands.

ok rant over:D

I can understand you fully Muppet :sigh:, you will need an independant body to examine the band for you as they could say its fine when it isn't. Trust is going to be a big hurdle for you.

Good luck

I did tell Sally the coordinator that Sharon Bates told me to call, that I needed this as part of my package. So will have to wait to speak to Sharon on Monday.

Thanx girls for your replies.

Back