• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric band diary my honest opinions/experiences

hollywood30

I'm going to use this to record my experiences of having the gastric band. Hope this helps people thinking about surgery.

Pre op diet was 2 weeks however I failed week one :( so I did a very low cal diet for 1 week lost 9lb

Had my surgery 2 days ago. Surgeon said everything gone well. Woke up in severe pain was given morphine. Had rest felt much better.

Few hours later wind pain kicks in, absolute torture and I have a high pain threshold. Had paracetamol pain decreased but back again within 2 hours.

When I got home tried windeze, helped a bit but not hugely. Took paracetamol as often as I could. Cried in agony last night. Vomited bile. Woke up at 4am in agony took more paracetamol.

Today been a lot better for me but still painful. Also had a period even though I have the arm implant and haven't had 1 in years :(

Will continue my posts throughout my journey, determined to be slim now after all this agony xx

I must be extraordinarily lucky, as I had no wind pain and although the pain was bad, codeine, diclofenac and paracetamol kept it at bay and I havent needed to vomit at all ( thank goodness as its my biggest fear!) Hope you feel much better soon Xx

good luck,im 3 weeks post op,didnt have any wind pain etc but my periods have come back in force!! not good xx

Thanks everyone, Tracy so have mine, I have the arm implant and haven't had one in 2 years till now. Nurse said might be due to the surgery or medication or weight loss so c how it goes :(

4 days after surgery and feeling much better now, most of the wind gone but hard to sleep without having paracetamol beforehand.

I have 5 incisions all heeling well, a couple are tiny like scratches so should not even be visible soon.
Cant wait to have a nice long soak in the bath when healed:(

Still not feeling hunger but belly rumbles still so thats when I eat. Havent been having 3 meals a day more like 1 right now (soup) drinking juice water and had a few lolly ices too in past few days.

Craving solid food but still no hunger, got another 10 days till I can have soft foods etc. Was thinking low cal fish pie as its really soft, any other meal ideas for this stage?? :)

xx

I remember my first soft meal even now. Mushy peas, mashed potato and gravy ... Tasted like heaven :4635:

One week post op and really craving real food now :( post op lost 6lbs, happy with my loss but stayed the same past few days for some reason :( Ah well xx

Start Weight 256lb
Weight at Pre Op Diet 250lb
After Pre Op Diet (One Week) 241lb
1 week post Op 235lb

I'm glad you're feeling so much better so quickly. I'm still in the windy agony stages and can't imagine wanting to put anything even resembling real food in my angry tummy :D it gives me hope to see that you recovered so quickly.

I think my first mushy meal will be carrot and swede mash. Less stodgy that potato mash IMO. Bit carby but I'll work my way up to mostly protein slowly. I hate being in any kind of pain, blergh.

I was like that too until Monday, first 4 days were agony. Paracetamol would ease the pain but only for about an hour. Keep burpin to get the wins out, I got my bf to massage around my shoulder blades asif trying to push the wind out, did help. Good luck you'll be ok in a few days :) im thinking of maybe small bit of sweet potato with gravy not sure yet still got another week to go :( xx

I went for my first fill yesterday, I got 1.5ml and already had 4ml so now got 6.5ml in my band altogether. Felt a little sick afterwards yesterday but Im fine now,dont feel any different but still on liquids so may change once im on proper food again. I HOPE I have some restriction really want to start losing weight!! XX

I started a period on day after leaving hospital. It was a difficult one lasting 6 days and made the wind pain very difficult. I am day 12 now and doing well apart from main incision is not healed.

How bazaar I got my period the 2 nd day after surgery and was 13 days early so must have something to do with giggling your organs!!
And since my bypass 6 weeks ago I have had 3 maybe body re adjusting!!.x

I'm 9mth out and praying I get one in the next few days or my oh is in for a shock lol :D

trine57 said:
Well done - keep going you are doing really well

Thanks....I'm maintaining now, having hit goal at 10.2....the hard slog is over lol

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Back