• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Spire hospital Gastric band

baby jayne

Hi All

As a lot of you know I have been researching lots of different company's and asking lots of advice about the Gastric band operation (many thanks for your replies).

After issues regarding bands splitting, slipping and any other related issues it seems that it's the chance you take with the band. I have enquired about insuring the band against the above problems (making sure surgery is covered, not just replacement bands) and it seems that there isn't any way of doing this (unless there is something I am missing).

I emailed Mr Ammouri's secretary today and Spire insure the bands for 30 days after surgery (not long at all considering the price) Why do you think that is???

That isn't just Spire it seems that is them all. They all have nutritionalists, dietisions, support before and after surgery, 24 hour help line numbers for after surgery...but the product they put inside you is only covered for 30 days and the surgery to replace/remove or correct any problems with it. This is a gamble and one that I will have to take as I am unhappy about my weight, but I am worried. I could no way be able to afford after the 30 days if anything went wrong to replace my band and I don't have enough cash for the bypass.
Sorry for going on but was wandering how long on this site or if any of you have friends that have had the band is the longest length of time a person has had the band in?
And just incase I am not researching thouroghly enough do any of you know where I could have insurance to cover any unfortunate incidents after the 30 days have gone by? If this product is safe enough to be in for life it's hard to believe that 30 days is all the companys will cover this for.

As always I appreciate your responce to my queries.

:(

Hi sorry cant help as I had bypass surgery with Mr Ammori, but if you have any further questions contact his secretary again, she is lovely and goes out of her way to help...good luck chick its a decision you wont regret..xx

hi jayne, i think you have researched well, but i think its shocking that they only cover a band for 30 days, most bands will last approx 10-15 years longer if your lucky, i was unfortunate and mine only lasted 3 years, do you qualify for nhs banding ? as i was nhs and they provide full life long aftercare including replacement bands if needed.

i suppose it comes back down to wls being a MONEYSPINNER for private companies, and this is how they make extra cash from the poor patients when things like that happen, a band is like buying a car, a new pair of shoes, a washing machine, eventually they will wear out and need replaced.

its a fact bands do need removed but its the minority for different reasons, i never thought id be 1 of the minority, but i was, its just pot luck if the band will last.

sorry for being negitive, but this is a good thread as people need to know the facts regarding banding b4 going private and handing over there hard earned cash, or even a loan to pay for the proceedure.

liz x

would private medical insurance cover it? I mean if you took out a general policy rather than one specifically for the band?

Muppet had her band done with Spire. Liz who did you have your's done with? And no unfortunately for me I have been refused by PCT.

Does anyone know if there are different types of bands e.g better branded ones or cheaper no frills ones?

Just wandering if it's a quality thing.

jayne i was nhs banded. i was lucky as they replaced my defect band no problem. it really annoys me how private patients are treated this way when theres a problem past advice or fills.

as i was led to believe they choose the type and size of a band during surgery depending on the size of a stomach, ive had a 7 mil capacity band both times. both my bands has been a cousins band which is manufactured in the usa.

I hope you mean't a cousin band and not a family members lol.

Thanks for your reply and I am so glad you got it sorted, I just can't understand why they don't supply the same type of cover for private patients. Even if it was insured at a high premium it is better than nothing at all.

A TV, washing machine and house can be insured for £1000's of £s but an operation for £7500 can't makes me wander honestly...but I really want to lose weight and can't do it on my own. I am 17stone and have PCOS, I know a lot of people on here are larger but believe me I really need to do this as it gets me so down. There is a history of heart disease and Diabetes in the family but because I don't have it yet I am not eligable.
I know there has to be a criteria and I am not deemed to fit it, and I accept that hence me going private (still waiting on loan being sorted, delayed due to xmas) but am worried about taking out a financial RISK! Helpppppp

Jayne have you tried contacting either some of the large insurance companies direct, or some of the private healthcare companies like bupa/ppp etc, or going to an insurance broker and asking them to research it?

good suggestion shel !

not just a pretty face ;)

Hi there - Iwas refused by PCT as not ill enough and hate the fact it is a postcode lottery as know folks in Hull just 40 miles from me get it done no problem. The 30 day guarentee scares me too -and the fact that going private - or rather being forced to - does not nearly have half the dietician/ after care that the NHS offers; which would unlimately be free. It is so unfair and I am so desperate too. Not a very helpful or bright remark when it comes to the insurance rather a sympathetic hug from me:You are not alone. So so not fair. x

I think you are focussing too much on tnhe negative. you could get a band that lasts in excess of 15years. You never know. Some good points on this thread tho. take care x

I think you are focussing too much on tnhe negative. you could get a band that lasts in excess of 15years. You never know. Some good points on this thread tho. take care x

yes i agree, all aspects have to be looked at but the majority of bands work out fine with just minor hiccups.

:):):):)

I know I am probably to analytical but I do always do my research....:banghead: should just go for it and believe me had my cash been available I prob wouldn't be being too picky lol. Just wish private patients had the same deal as NHS...afterall we are paying and pay our taxes for NHS care so why the difference????:cry:

Anyway as soon as I get the cash I am having the operation no matter what, there are sooo many success stories on here to spare me on.:)

Thanks for the hint on Bupa I haven't checked them out yet.
Thanks for replies, keep sending them xx

Hey you guys - thanks for interesting posts there - Baby Jane I read this at time when was going thro exactly what you were. What are you up to now? I decided to take up the Cambridge Diet to achieve fast results - I joined beg July and in 5 weeks lost 2 stone (Oh Ok 1st 13lbs) - just wondered if you were banded now or if still searching for something that works diet-wise; hence my suggestion. Love to all x

Back