• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

booked for gastric band

jlb5686

hiya. im very new to this. im 28 a mum of 3 ans have a bmi of 42. today ive booked in for a consaltation with the hospital group for a gastric band. consaltation is nxt week. im excited but nervous. I realy feel a gastric band may be my only hope. any advice would be great or tips post band. thankyou

Welcome to the group :)

I love my band - feeling in control of my weight for the first time in about 15 years... It sounds cheesy but it really is a tool and not a cure - the foods that go down really easily are things like biscuits , chocolate , ice cream ! I personally have had 2 bad experiences with rice so it's now a no no and typically I'm now craving some ! Tiny amounts of bread I can tolerate if I really chew but could never eat tiger bread now and I miss it!!!

Good luck xxx

thanx for the reply.my biggest worry is that I will still be able to eat the volume of food I do now? I realy want it to help portion size.foesbit? x

If portion size of food is your problem the band is for you! It reduces it massively, but like nikola has said if you are a grazer who eats chocolate ice cream etc,,, the band isn't for you,

I love food full stop , still do. But the band makes food my fuel not my friend. It takes a hard look at yourself to get thru the grieving process we all go thru with food when we get our bands all of us felt the same and if your ready for change then go for it :) you won't look back if you really really want it to work ...

Good luck sweets xx

thanx guy. I guess im a grazer and have massive portions. I never feel hungry or full. qbut im comitted to the change. and seen as my parents will be paying its even more motivation. I just know im doing so much damahe to myself atm. if it reduces the amount I can physicaly eat I will be so happy. but any advice pos or negative I would realy apreciate. x

sorry ive got so many questions. im just wondering how u all cope with cooking for your family and not eating urself? sorry for such stupid questions, I just wana makes sure I 100% know what im doing. I thought of making up lots of little pots of soup/fruit puree etc for me in the freezer so I can have that wen the eat. x

research all the wls options so that you can make an informed decision as to the right one for you, and also ask the advise of the consultant as to pros and cons of each. its important to know what each option can do and more importantly what it cant do. my mum had a band (and had lots of complications from it) which is one of the reasons I went for a bypass, but also the bypass offered me stuff that the band didn't and knowing my flaws that I felt bypass was the best tool for me. couldn't afford to go private so just had to jump through hoops and play the 2 year waiting game, but boy was it worth it. As far as cooking goes, sometimes I can cook a meal we all can eat and sometimes not. just accept that it requires change and embrace it!

I can be a grazer and a binger. I am 6 weeks banded and loving it. It is hard work as you can still slide the bad stuff down quite nicely. So you need to be prepared to make huge lifestyle changes. For me I have given up the wine. At 800 cals a bottle, no calories left for food. At this early stage u am staying off chocolate and trying to stay away from carbs and rubbish and eat quality food. I have had a couple of slash out days but my band binge now might be some ice cream and a baileys and maybe a packet of crisps but this was instead of tea. You just can't put the huge amounts of food away anymore. It is a tool, a great one but you need to be up for doing the work. I have lost just shy of two and a half stone from 4th August. I think it's one of the best decisions I have made and wish I had done it years ago. Good luck x

Hi Jib, just wanted to wish you the best of luck.

With regard to cooking for the family, it can he worked through.

Before you have your op, cook and freeze some things for the family. I was lucky in that in the first week post op my hubby did all the cooking for the kids.

While I'm still on fluids (just a few more days), I've cooked everyone their evening meal, and while they're sat at the table eating, I've done all the clearing and cleaning so I'm
still in the room to have a traditional family evening chat etc, but not sat down eating it.
When I start purées, I plan to eat whatever I'm serving everyone else for dinner and just blitzing a small portion for me. That's my intention anyway. :)

thanx for the advice guys. thats fab. and amazing weight loss! congrats! I rhink the doing meal before hand wud be good although im sure my hubby wipl be good at first. I better gt a decent blender.lol.
with band tightenings are they done regualy to start ro reduce how much u can eat? the hospital said after 2 yrs of ajustments (which I get in my package) I shudnt need any more. is this true? x

i'm a grazer too but its not stopped me having great success with my band . yes it takes slot of will power as the nice things still go down easy, but for me a little of what i fancy gets factored into my day. My band was fitted i feb and as yet i've had no fills, band was inserted completely empty yet i've managed to shift almost 7 stone although the last month has been painfully slow LOL but just having it has kicked me into the zone. Once you thru the liquid/puree stages you can go back to eating what the family eats so its no big problem :) just those 5 weeks to get thru really, and other have said do the meals up front and freeze them, you will find its best for your meals too :) Wishing you all the very best on your journey x x x as Sam says do your research tho

omg 7stone that is amazing! well done to u! yep I think ive read most things I could find online. then I found this site on app store.amazing site so glad ive found it. im nearly 19stone and my dream would be 11stone. but if I get to 13stone I would be over the moon. I was a size 16 when I met my hubby now after 3 kids aged 5,4 and 1 (nxt week) im a size 22. would love to be slimmer than when I met him. as my weight onky started going on when i was in a previous bad relationship and got depression. ive now been off my antidepresants for 2months and feeling realy positive about the gastric band idea.I think this sight may be the boost and supprt to get me through the tough times on my weight loss journey. my only fear is the liquid diet before surgery but I know it will be worth it. this time nxt week ill be on my way to cardiff for my consaltation. can wait now. all ur amazing achievements have given me a great boost. so thanku sooooo much x

I'll be interested on how you get on as I go for my consultation on 20th October for the band. Good luck Nd keep us posted on your decision :)

I will do hun. tbh if im happy with what they say wil prob book it the same day. good luck with ur consaltation. what company r u going with. mines the hospital group. they seem to be the cheepest as on tight budget. from what ive seen reviews look ok. x

I'm going through Gatwick Spire as I know someone who had a by pass there and they rate the surgeon. I could have gone more close to home in Kent but don't know anyone who has had theirs done there

I've suffered dreadfully over the years with depression etc and since band am happy to be pill free and head in a great space..... Have been thinking today, if i had my chance over again(i was NHS and could have had bypass) would i choose differently? I dont think so YEs its blooming hard going, just like being on a low cal diet, counting and writing down my intake to keep me on straight and narrow, also exercise dramatically increased , which takes time to fit in BUT I have learned so much about me along the way. How i have used food over the years to take away all my past hurts and frankly when you do have a felt down moment you know you just have to deal with things diffed=rent rather than finding the nearest thing to comfort or destroy ourselves with. The band is certainly not for everyone, i have little restriction obviously because i'm empty but i know its there backing me up, and if i really struggle (like this month) i can get a fill if needed :) Just go into with your eyes open, its no magic cure, you still need the willpower to stop putting food in your mouth BUT if your in the zone what a great time to start :) Forewarned tho :) right now the only thing which is stopping me is ME not the band and until you find restriction thats how it is pretty much .............mind over matter. Yes it doesn't work for everyone, but honestly if your prepared to cut down your eating and move a little more thats the key....... ypu need to be prepared to follow the rules too. Of course you will still have bad days .... i do and pig out but i know that next week my scales just wont show a loss or i increase my exercise to compensate. BUT the best thing is the next day you get straight back on that wagon because you know you have to :) this band is for life ..... so just make sure your ready to make the changes for life x x x xx gl

yep thanx. I mean I am nervous but I think I can do it. and knowing the band will help with portion control I think its the boost I needed. I think I may be a pain in the bum on this site with all my questions though. sorry!
im going with the cardiff hospital group. I dont know anyone who has been there but im keeping it quiet.only told one person. but ill ask the doc how many hes done etc x

Not everyone has a liquid pre op diet. Mine was a week low carb. There are food options available if you can't face the liquids. It's different post op as nothin but liquid will go down for the first week and liquids for us bandits includes flavoured milk, smooth soups and protein drinks. It was really ok

I wish I had a cool name like a 'bandit' lol. 'Sleever' doesn't quite have the same ring to it! :)

Back