• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Band surgeon

prinny

Hi I am a newbie and have found this site a gods send. I have seen lots written about other surgeons but not much about the one I am going to be under Prof McMahon. I have looked him up and found him to be reputable but was wondering if you guys had any info?

I am having my consultation on the 27th feb and have pre booked my surgery for 2nd march. This is going to be done at Dolan Park.Fingers crossed he will carry it out.
I have chosen the cheap option of the WGA package and am know I am not going to get any after care or should I say very little. So any info you guys give me would be great.
Cheers Prinny
Any in

Thanks for the reply, I didn't know you could do that! I knew you lot would be like a goldmine of knowledge to me lol.
I have loads of questions just didn't want to bore you all to death with it too soon!

Don't be daft and ask away. Thats the good thing about sites like this, there is always someone who can help you find the answer.

Where do I start! Well first of all the main worry I have is the time between my consultation and my surgery. It is a very short time. It was the only available date they had which would fit in around my job. I have paid a deposit but there is always a chance the prof Mcmahon wont do it and I would loose my money. I have to go on the pre op diet before even seeing him at my initial consultation which means my BMI will be lower i suspect. It is currently 36. I am worried that for whatever what reason they may not do it. I would be so gutted. Have I been stupid in booking it?
The thing is I now have arthritis in my knee (due to my weight) and only am a lower weight because I walk 3 hours per day. I am panic stricken here and need some sense off you lot.
!:confused:

Ok doke. Bear in mind I'm a bypasser so don't have first hand experience, but have been loitering around these boards like a bad smell for a fair wee while now and you pick up a lot ;)

A BMI of 36 is fine for private surgery. Most private surgeons want a BMI of 30+ and you won't lose that much before the surgery. You'll probably lose about a stone.

For the prof not to do it there would have to be a good reason, after all you're paying him to so if he turned lots of patients away he wouldn't earn much. Try not to worry about it, it's out of your control so where is worrying going to get you?

It is perfectly natural to get nervous and question yourself pre-op, just try to think back to why you are doing this in the first place and focus on that. I'm sure you didn't make the decision lightly so I doubt you've been stupid.

Hi prinney, just to fill you in a little, i had a gastric band fitted in november at dolan park with mr sigurdsson and i took the cheap wga package and to be honest i couldnt find fault with any of the staff. I then paid £699 for one years aftercare with the weightloss surgery group which gives you unlimited bandfills and access to a bariatric nurse and they are absolutely brilliant, i have had two fills now and have had no problems whatsoever. As for your bmi mine was fairly low at 31 but they still operated on me and i have gone on to lose 2 stone so try not to worry too much. If you have any other questions please ask. julie

Thanks, I got myself a bit worked up. Only my hubby knows about my surgery plans and although he is supportive he cannot set my mind at rest like the voices of experience on here!
I am excited but worried at the same time. I really wanted to see all your piccys to give me inspiration but there is a fault i think.
I have been dreaming about being thin- well not thin but a healthy weight for so long did any of you feel let down after the surgery?
I just know I will be like Varrucca Salt if it doesn't work I'll be stamping my feet -tantrums galore. I don't care I want weight loss now ha ha.

i am also a bypasser but wanted to welcome you to mini's and wish you a good WLS

As for the photos yes there is a problem but i believe you also need 50 posts to be able to see them, perhaps someone else could confirm this?

Thanks for your welcomes, and thanks shel checked out some of the piccys and wow I only hope I can do as well. I hate having my piccy took, due to that fact that i have more chins than a chinese phonebook and a bod like jabba the hut lol but it will be a goal of mine to start taking piccys of me with the kids.

Take some before shots as along the way you'll find your attitude towards photos change. I have photos in my album on here of different stages along the way and when I have an emotional day I often go through them because the difference astounds me.

My god Shel you have some mighty fine stats there. You are almost at your goal weight, cannot get over the difference between your BMI's in less than a year!
I bet you feel well chuffed that you know you are going to keep the weight off. Just seeing that spurs me on!

Thanks Prinny :) in all honesty it's been much easier than I thought it would be!

hey shel fantastic pics of before and after have permlinked it, how do you get the pics into the forums like that?

cheers TS, have been told off for not smiling in that after one!

I upload my pics to a storage site like photobucket, and then just image code them in to my post. Photobucket provide the image code and it's free (my favourite price).

ahhh yes that i know how to do but wanted to be sure, different things for different forums.... wont post mine just yet lol althoguh i might have a pic taken this week as its now a month on, and a good comparison

Back