• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

just booked gastric band op!!

Hi Alliecat

All I can say is wow wow wow!! 5 stone!! I wish I was you! I hope I manage to lose as much as you!

Do you have any specific pearls of wisdom?

FYI - I am 14 stone and 10lbs and I am 5ft 4" - my goal is around 9st 7lbs - 10st - but I will have to wait and see how it goes.

Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Cheers
Skip x

Hi

Thank you for your message.

I am really exicted about the band - just very nervous still! there is so much to learn!

When should you be having yours done? where are you having yours done?

Speak soon.

Skip x

Hi Skip,

Yes, I meant add to your favourites, that way you'll find us again ;)

Have posted a few links for you below which you might find good reading. The first is the main surgical weight loss section link which is worth bookmarking.

Surgical Weight Loss - MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum

Not sure about searching by area, someone else might be able to help with that though.

As you can see lots of members here have been to Dolan Park, so there are lots of diary stories with their experiences in on here. Have listed some below.

If you want to start your own diary thread, just click new thread at the top left or bottom left of this page and off you go! Give it a title like Skips Band Surgery or something that you'll remember and shows its a diary style thread and remember to come back and update it with your experiences. Diaries aren't just helpful to others, they are great to look back on yourself and get feedback from others.

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/55432-due-have-band-fitted-dolan-park-29-aug.html
http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/66282-gastric-band-tomorrow-dolan-park-help.html
http://www.minimins.com/surgical-we...e-else-having-op-dolan-park-27th-october.html
http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/56656-newie-had-op-done-dolan-park-21-08-08-a.html
http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/52592-wga.html
http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/56922-wga-dolan-park-6th-september-2008-a.html

Another good place to look on here is the tutorial and faq pages, which can help you learn more about using the forum.

Tutorials - MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum
MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum - FAQ: Board FAQ

Alot of things aren't accessible to you until you have made 50 posts, such as private messaging other members, putting a picture up, and viewing other members profiles and pictures, so get posting :)

HTH, if you get stuck anywhere, just shout.

Shel

Does that include any fills Skip?

I have been quoted 4450.00 euros which at todays rate is £4026.50, but 500 euros of that is cos I'm old and at more risk, and its in Belgium.

Hi Muppet (doesnt sound very nice calling you that!)

This does not include any bandfills they are charged at £125 and I have been told I should only need 3.

I was a little wary of going abroad, but it is supposed to be cheaper and a friend (distant) has had a gastric bypass done abroad and he has got on really well. I suppose I just feel more comfortable having it done here - only becuase it is unknown.

So are you going ahead then? when are you looking at booking?

Looking forward to hearing from you shortly.

Skip xx

WOW!! how much information!
Thank you so much!
I will take a look and let you know how I get on.
Thanks
Skip x

Well I always thought I would rather be banded in the UK, that was why I chose the Spire Southampton...but I guess paying out £6000 didnt work for me, as now I have to pay again.

Whereas a member on another weight loss board had her band done in Belgium, developed a leak and is having it either replaced or the port repaired (they are not sure where the leak is yet) for a reduced price.

I didnt even get that offer, which is why I am going to continue with legal action.

I find that to be appalling.

So the UK is not always the best in my experience.

Before you do decide on the HG, Google them.;)

Saying that though, my daughter was banded with them and she hasnt had any problems.

Hi Muppet
Oh no what happened with yours?
I didnt realise you were not happy with it?
Skip x

does anyone know where I can get some good books and dvd's on gastric bands? i.e. living with the band - that kind of thing?

Hi Skip,

I know a few people have recommended this book -
Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies: Al Roker, Kurian, Marina S. MD, Barbara Thompson, Brian K. Davidson: Amazon.co.uk: Books

There are a couple of American books aswell -
Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band: Everything You Need to Know Before and After Surgery to Lose Weight Successfully: Robert Sewell, Linda Rohrbough: Amazon.co.uk: Books
Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding: Achieving Permanent Weight Loss with Minimally Invasive Surgery: Jessie H. Ahroni Ph.D. A. R. N. P.: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Another good place to look is youtube -
YouTube - gastric band
But beware there will be more people posting negative things than positive (it is human nature, if you are happy with something you might tell one person, if you are unhappy with it you will tell atleast ten).

HTH :)

Shel

Hi Shelbell
Thank you so much!
Are you always online?
OK, so with the books you have reccommended, have you read / bought any of them (personally)?
I checked out Youtube (didnt realise it was quite so graphic!), but all good anyway.
Also, I have seen you have been a member for a few years now, can I ask, do people meet up from this site? i.e. if there were a few people having the band that were all local or having it done at the same place etc - is there anywhere on this site that does that?
Oh also, how many posts do i need to do before I can see people's gallery's etc?
Sorry for all the questions, you just seem to be very knowledgable!
Thanks and I hope to hear from you again.
Cheers, Skip xx

Hi Skip,

Not quite always online, but online a lot. Wayyyy too much spare time lol.

Meeting up happens quite a lot. We're doing a surgical meet up in February in Birmingham, you can read about that at http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/66819-birmingham-wls-meet-feb-2009-a.html and there is a Preston one soon but I think that's a bit far from you! Quite often people arrange to meet in small groups or one to one, it just happens naturally as you get to know people. Minimins has whole site meet ups too, you can see those at Meetings and Events - MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum Finding people using the same hospital just involves reading lots of posts really, or starting a thread asking if there are any other dolan park people around at the moment. We have the operation dates thread too which will help nearer the time, thats at http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/64432-operation-dates.html and a fair few members are on facebook, there is a thread on that at http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/67423-facebook.html

With the books, I haven't read them myself, as I had a bypass.

You need 50 posts before you can view any profiles or galleries etc, which isn't very many, you'll be there soon. Then you can sent and receive private messages too. There are some photos you can see now, on the before/after thread at http://www.minimins.com/before-afte...thread-inspiration-post-your-photos-here.html (mine are on the second to last page) :)

Don't worry about asking questions, once you've been using the forum for a few weeks you'll find yourself answering them for newbies too ;)

Hi Shelbell

Once again, thanks for the prompt response! :)

OK so....

Meeting up:
So the meeting link in B'ham you have posted - is this just for bypass people? or do band people go to? also, what stage are the people at normally.

Books:
OK, I saw after I posted my message that you had a bypass, (sorry)but I knew you would reply before I had chance to :)

Your Picture:
You look fab! your life must really have changed for the better!! You look great!

Well I think this is my 20th Post so only 30 to go!!

OK, I will take a look at the links u have sent over... thank you so much!! it makes it much easier to find my way around.

Thank you again (as always)

Skip xx

No probs ;)

The meeting is for anyone here in the surgical section, so anyone having any type of surgical procedure, be it band, bypass or balloon. there will be people there at all stages, just starting out, seeking funding, pre-op, and post op. We had one before Christmas in Manchester and although it ended up being just 3 of us it was a fabby day and nerves soon disappeared. It's great to talk to people who are going through the same things and get hints tips and ideas etc.

Great!
Thank you for everything.
I am sure I will be back asking you more stuff soon.
I am going to order a couple of books I think so I can learn more!
Thanks again.
Skip x

Hi DjBP98

Thank you for your message :)

Hopefully this site will be a good source of information for me.

I notice you havent booked the band - is this something you are looking at booking?

Speak soon.

Skip xx

Hi Skip, i'm hoping to go nhs, but it's been a bit of a long winded nightmare. Am nearly at the point of seeing the dietician (still waiting for appt) then everything can go off for funding. Its been approved by Endocrinologist, just keeping everything crossed that PCT agree. x:fingerscrossed:

Hi Skip, i'm hoping to go nhs, but it's been a bit of a long winded nightmare. Am nearly at the point of seeing the dietician (still waiting for appt) then everything can go off for funding. Its been approved by Endocrinologist, just keeping everything crossed that PCT agree. x:fingerscrossed:

Oh great, you will be there soon!! just keep smiling and think positive!

Skip x:eek:x

Hi Alliecat

Sorry to bother you.... do you remember me? I am a little confused, I wondered if you could help me?

I have now posted 50 posts but I still cant see people's profiles, I thought after you had done 50 posts you could see everything.

You seem to have been on here a while - can you help me?

Skip x

Welcome to Minis skip. I had my band done last July and have now lost 5 stone so as you can guess I am pretty chuffed!! you will find loads of support here - from people at all stages of their journey. Any questions - just shout xx

Back