• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric band

alipop

Hey all, i turned 18 in june and i have wanted weight loss surgery since i was 15 years old :( i got reali bullied at school which lead to me missing 3 years of it then when i wasnt at school i just hit rock bottom and started eating even more!
I went out in town and ended up coming home in tears because i felt that everyone was looking at me and calling me names.

I look at my self in the mirror and think how did you let youself get like this!

I have even considered gettin it done privetly and gettin myself into debt because it makes me so sad and angry :cry:

End of the day i am reali scared that if i eventually get a gastric band on the NHS, that i will not make it throught the opperation or something will go wrong :cry:
please write back :)
XxX

hi alipop. welcome to mini's, you have come to the right place for support, i am a bander, have you been to see your gp about being refered to a nhs surgeon to see if you fit the critearia in your area ? please try not to feel down as you are amongst freinds here that will support you xxx

liz xxx

Thank you :)
no i havnt been to see my GP but i will hopefully get an appointment tomorow,
WHAT DO IT SAY TO THEM? :( im not very good with doctors :(
xXx

tell him how you have tryed all other avenues to lose weight and that you see this as your last way out, it will depend on your area wether you have a good pct that will fund your op, what area do you live in ali ? i see your bmi is 40.8, the usual criteria is a bmi of 40 plus so hopefully it will be ok. tell him you want to change your life now while you are young so you dont have to spend the rest of your life as an obese adult and you see this as a positive thing to stop other weight realated illnesses occuring at a later stage in your life xxx

id make an appointment with your gp asap to get the ball rolling as it is a long process on the nhs.

liz x

i live in cheshire, but i cant find out how long the waighting list is either XxX

im sure there will be someone on here thats been done in cheshire to help you with the details soon xxx

no probs ali, let me know how you get on with the gp xx

Good luck with your appointment with your GP! :)

xxx

Hi Ali!as Liz says go to gp explain every way your weight affects your life,ask to be refered for weighloss management.Keep in touch on here too lots of nice people in the same boat.Wish I had tackled my weight at your age in a better way than we did in the 70s.Anyone remember Ayds,Limits,Tenuate!!

Hi Ali!as Liz says go to gp explain every way your weight affects your life,ask to be refered for weighloss management.Keep in touch on here too lots of nice people in the same boat.Wish I had tackled my weight at your age in a better way than we did in the 70s.Anyone remember Ayds,Limits,Tenuate!!

i totally agree that tackling this now is vital. i also missed out on having fun in my teens because of my weight, no young person should have to miss out on things during whats suppost to be the best years of our lives, i think its great ali is taking this positive step forward now to change her life xxx

Hi Alli, all of the above that has been said....

I'd just like to add that your story was very sad and i feel awful that people's opinions have made you so sad you missed out on a good education but more importantly the social networking a teenager needs to prepare her for adult life.

Please see your GP a.s.a.p and see if you can get the ball rolling. But more of all see if you can't start to love yourself a little. Try and see past the fat, you have good qualities i'm sure of it. Unfortunately until we start to love ourselves we struggle to see our positive attributes. maybe write down a list, ask friends/family what they like about you, maybe your good at listening, good with kids. It's good to know why someone loves us so we can love ourselves. Surgery will sort out the outside, only we can sort out the insides xx

Good luck with the doctors, let us know how it goes xxxx

Thank you all so much for your support this is an amazing site and i am so lucky to of found it and be in company of such brill people XxX thank u all so much i will let u know how it goes at the doctors tomorow XxX

good luck ali, i hope it goes well xxx

welcome to mini's Good luck on your GP appointment and congrats on your first step to weight loss :D

Hi Ali and:welcome2: to minis. I have a daughter at 19 so I really feel for you. She too is over weight and I'm going to book her in the docs this week to start her on a weight management course. If this fails then it will be xenical and if that too fails I want her to have the band like her old Mum lol. I really don't want her to suffer like I have. Please make sure you go to see your gp as I hate the fact that you are so unhappy sweetheart. Jess (my daughter) has'nt had the bullying issues (not that I know of) like you and I don't want her to either. Are your parents behind you on your choice of going for surgery.I hope so because you will need them to be there for you. Be prepared for your gp to offer you a weight management course first and then maybe the slimming pills. Some gp's won't refer you for surgery untill you have tried every avenue to weight loss. Don't be disheartened if he does as this will all help you to get surgery. Doing this will prove to him that you are willing to try absolutely anything to lose weight and that you are commited to trying to lose weight.Sorry if I'm rambling but I really want to help you and get you prepared fpr what lays ahead.
Good luck sweetheart and please let us know how you get on with your gp. We are all here to support you so you are no longer alone in this fight to lose weight. Big hugsxxx

Last edited:
hi there and as already said, get your butt down to your GP's and ask them for advice re WLS...the sooner you start the process the sooner there is an end result, best of luck, and be positive

Good luck Ali, hope your GP is symphathetic and you get some help. Let us know how you get on x

how did you get on at the gp's ?

Ali pop,
So sad to hear your struggles,there was no band when i was your age but it would have saved me 4 decades of time and all the energy spoilt relationships,inner turmoil and most of all the dreedful waste of energy,money,confidence and self esteem.
It is a terrible complusion(eating) that at long last is getting treated medically like the alcoholics,have for 50 years.

Big and Bouncy, i remember the Ayda chewy cubes from the U.S.
The horrible lemon, the dry papery choc wafer which was tiny.
I used to buy Apisate privately from a registered g.p and tenuate dospan plus every thing else the wired teeth from Hope Hospital in Grt Manchester...............
This has got to be dare i say it" healthier".
Going myself for the band after all these years, my weigh is not huge but has been and despite losing many many times cant keep it off.
Mia

Back