• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie with op date 6/3/17 at Derby

Mother K

Hi everyone, I am new to the site but have had a life long battle with my weight!
I began my path to weight loss surgery in late 2014 and my first appointment at Derby was April 2015. I am delighted to be able to say that I have now got a date for my op 6th March 2017 but I am now getting a bit nervous.
Due to having had quite a lot of previous surgeries for breast cancer and reconstruction work I am being duel consented for my surgery. Bypass being my first choice but if that's not possible because of internal scar tissue etc than it will be a sleeve.
Is anyone else having their op soon?

Hi everyone, I am new to the site but have had a life long battle with my weight!
I began my path to weight loss surgery in late 2014 and my first appointment at Derby was April 2015. I am delighted to be able to say that I have now got a date for my op 6th March 2017 but I am now getting a bit nervous.
Due to having had quite a lot of previous surgeries for breast cancer and reconstruction work I am being duel consented for my surgery. Bypass being my first choice but if that's not possible because of internal scar tissue etc than it will be a sleeve.
Is anyone else having their op soon?
Hi! I'm having a sleeve on the 28th of Feb, start my lrd tomorrow. To say I'm nervous is an understatement.... I'm so excited to start my new life after being overweight forever but am terrified about being put to sleep! Silly I know but I've never had a big op before and I'm having my gallbladder removed at the same time c

Hi! I'm having a sleeve on the 28th of Feb, start my lrd tomorrow. To say I'm nervous is an understatement.... I'm so excited to start my new life after being overweight forever but am terrified about being put to sleep! Silly I know but I've never had a big op before and I'm having my gallbladder removed at the same time c
It's weird how we can be nervous and excited both at the same time good luck on your lrd, I started mine a few days ago.

Just wanted to say hi! I'm having my op on March 14 at King's (bypass). I fully empathise with your fear of the general anaesthetic Kellylou, it freaks me out too. I have a bit of a hospital phobia in general, and have never had surgery before. If I'm early on the list I might not have time to work myself up too much, but I can picture myself being a nervous wreck if I'm scheduled for later on in the day and have to wait around on the ward. I was going to ask if they could give me something for the anxiety (e.g. a low dose of benzodiazepines) prior to surgery to take the edge off if it gets too bad, but I'm not sure what the hospital policy is with regards to that.

I think we just have to remind ourselves why we are doing this and try to channel that nervous energy into excitement and a positive spark.

Just wanted to say hi! I'm having my op on March 14 at King's (bypass). I fully empathise with your fear of the general anaesthetic Kellylou, it freaks me out too. I have a bit of a hospital phobia in general, and have never had surgery before. If I'm early on the list I might not have time to work myself up too much, but I can picture myself being a nervous wreck if I'm scheduled for later on in the day and have to wait around on the ward. I was going to ask if they could give me something for the anxiety (e.g. a low dose of benzodiazepines) prior to surgery to take the edge off if it gets too bad, but I'm not sure what the hospital policy is with regards to that.

I think we just have to remind ourselves why we are doing this and try to channel that nervous energy into excitement and a positive spark.
TiaLi, try not to worry, but if you mention how nervous you are when you go in they may be able to arrange a pre-med for you to help you relax x

TiaLi, try not to worry, but if you mention how nervous you are when you go in they may be able to arrange a pre-med for you to help you relax x

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for. It's not that I can't "suffer through it", but when I get that worked up it does affect my blood pressure and heart rate quite significantly so I'd rather have a pre-med if possible.

Fingers crossed your internal scar tissue isn't so extensive that it will hinder a bypass if that is your first choice. I originally wanted a sleeve, but because of my reflux I have opted for the bypass instead.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for. It's not that I can't "suffer through it", but when I get that worked up it does affect my blood pressure and heart rate quite significantly so I'd rather have a pre-med if possible.

Fingers crossed your internal scar tissue isn't so extensive that it will hinder a bypass if that is your first choice. I originally wanted a sleeve, but because of my reflux I have opted for the bypass instead.
I can't believe it's finally going to happen, it's been a long journey so far, but hopefully a worthwhile one!
Your op is 8 days after mine, have you started your pre-op diet yet? X

@Mother K No, I haven't been given a pre-op diet yet. My pre-op assessment is on the 20th of Feb so I'll see what they say then - but from what I've heard my surgeon doesn't require his patients to do a liver shrinking diet beforehand. I'm not sure why that is, but he is a highly respected and very experienced bariatric surgeon. I'm planning on playing it safe and doing it regardless of whether he asks for it or not though. I was going to start the day after the pre-op assessment (that will give me three weeks on the diet).

Are you doing the milk diet or the food-based one?

@Mother K No, I haven't been given a pre-op diet yet. My pre-op assessment is on the 20th of Feb so I'll see what they say then - but from what I've heard my surgeon doesn't require his patients to do a liver shrinking diet beforehand. I'm not sure why that is, but he is a highly respected and very experienced bariatric surgeon. I'm planning on playing it safe and doing it regardless of whether he asks for it or not though. I was going to start the day after the pre-op assessment (that will give me three weeks on the diet).

Are you doing the milk diet or the food-based one?
Derby do the food one, it would be easier for me if it was the milk one!
I should have started it last Monday but I was still on holiday so started it on Thursday morning instead.

Hello, welcome and very best of luck @Mother K :)

Back