• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric bypass postponed

RaceyTracy

Hi all,

Well today was D-day for me, I have stuck to my pre op diet like glue and lost a stone in 2 weeks, went to the hospital this morning, had bloods taken, blood pressure done, urine sample given, seen my surgeon and anaesthetist and changed into my robe, with just half hour to go the ward manager comes in and tells me they need to cancel the op and reschedule it for next Friday as there are no beds available, I know it's only a week but I'm absolutely gutted after mentally preparing myself for it and now have to continue with my diet for a further week (this has already been a mental and physical challenge in itself) in the hope that come next Friday they have the bed available to go ahead with the op, has anyone else had to deal with this? How did you cope? TIA

potter

Hey there
You must be feeling absolutely gutted and I don't blame you. I didn't have the same experience, but almost did. I arrived at hospital at 7am and was told my op would be at about 10am, but it didn't happen til late afternoon and they were preparing me for the fact it might have to be cancelled. I know how bad I felt at even the possibility and the absolute relief when they finally told me it was going ahead. It's so hard to deal with this and how you are feeling is completely understandable. All I can say is you know you can be strong, you've come this far. In the grand scheme of things a week isn't a long time (though I know it probably feels like forever at this point). I'm coming up to 6 months post-bypass and I can hardly remember the pre-op diet even though at the time it felt like torture, so over time the memory of this time will just fade. Maybe try and have some (non-food) treats over the next week? Even little things like a nice bath or watching your favourite TV programmes might help make the time pass quicker and take your mind off things. It will all be worth it - see this as a set back that's going to build your resilience up and make you stronger for the future. It will all be worth it in the end, my only regret is that I didn't do this earlier.

Good luck

Potter x

Monalisa

Hi racey
So sorry how awful to get so close my gastric band reposition was cancelled by a phone call on the Monday morning last year I was absolutely gutted so can totally sympathise with you I wasn't given another date straight away so fell off the pre op for 24 hrs then sat there waiting day by day luckily my surgeon did it at his private hospital the following Saturday it will soon pass just try and keep positive X

RaceyTracy

Thank you so much for your words of courage, I've returned back to work today for the next week, which is great, sitting round thinking
"I should be recovering now" would of been torture. I spoke to my dietician and she said since I've already completed the liver shrinkage diet of 800 cal a day soup and yogurt I only need to maintain it now so I'm allowed 1,200 cal a day on small meals, which relieved me immediately! I am of course still disappointed and even more worried that this may happen again next Friday but feeling far better than I was this time yesterday! Lucky for me I have an amazing group of friends, co workers and family that have all been fantastic, but sometimes asking those that have been there can ease your mind further so thank you again

los in it

It must feel like a right kick in the guts for you but I also feel that the team who were to perform your WLS must also feel the same way they know how with any surgery we all build our selfs up and want to get the job done so it must be tough for them too having to cancel
you have just 6 sleeps after today just keep on doing what your doing and the time will swizz by in the mean time very good luck , will keep a space warm for you on the losers bench !

niccie

I'm sorry for you X the week will go quickly, you can do the LSD it will be worth it X

RaceyTracy

Thank you for keeping that bench warm I intend to use it very soon!

Sorry what's LSD? Prob real obvious so sorry for silly question

Butterfly_lady

This is why I self funded I couldn't cope with being messed around!! Good luck lets hope it goes ok xxx

RaceyTracy

Butterfly lady, I would loved to of been able to afford to go private but I'm single, living on my own and on a low wage, I really couldn't afford to put myself in that much debt but I don't blame anyone for doing it, was to horrible yesterday, to be so ready and even excited to being bought down to earth with the biggest and hardest bump ever! X

Butterfly_lady

Butterfly lady, I would loved to of been able to afford to go private but I'm single, living on my own and on a low wage, I really couldn't afford to put myself in that much debt but I don't blame anyone for doing it, was to horrible yesterday, to be so ready and even excited to being bought down to earth with the biggest and hardest bump ever! X

I was lucky to be able to afford it I know that, I also know I'd be rubbish at the NHS hoop jumping :(

RaceyTracy

I was lucky to be able to afford it I know that, I also know I'd be rubbish at the NHS hoop jumping :(

I don't feel like I've had to jump any hoops at all but reading others stories I've been one of the lucky ones, non of this tier business, just accepted on first meeting with surgeon 10months ago, as I say very lucky! X