• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gastric bypass waitng times panic/stress

tubbyspud

Hi
I was put on the waiting list in august 2008 i was told id be having surgery within 4-6 months. Rang the hospital yesterday and was told they couldnt give me an answer and to just await the phone call a month before the op date!!!!
Can any one out there tell me how long they waited for there op or if they are in the same situation. I feel really down and losing hope.:cry:

Sorry vic not in your area but I do know that it is roughly a 20week waiting time from when you are put on the waiting list, which is normally after funding has been approved, have they confirmed you are definately on the waiting list?

Keep us updated please Vics sorry I can't be of more help other than to suggest speaking with your GP to see if he can find out a little more than you from your consultants office. Daniel

My pleasure Vics. I often find your GP can be of use as other medical professionals see them as an insider rather than a civillian and therefore are so much more helpfull. Daniel

hi Tubbyspud, I,m not sure on your area but when I had my first meeting in sheffield I was told that once I'd had appointment with the surgeon then the op had to be done within 4 months of that. I saw surgeon in december and my band op is in april. Your surgeons secretary is probably the best one to speak to as she knows more of whats happening than just the hospital clinic. Hope this helps a little but as I said its different area. Good luck and keep us informed. xxGaynorxx

Sorry cant help with times as mine was all pretty quick...just wanted to say hang on in there...getting the funding is the hardest part....it will happen chick..xx

Hang on in there and keep phoning them I can not help as I was a lucky one and was all done in 16 weeks of seeing my Dr

Im with daniel hun sorry i to am having it in York and have been informed every bit of the way. Cant understand why they have just left you hanging though hun. Hope u can manage to sort it keep us updated xXx

thanks girls for your replies , i wonder if anyone thats having it done at st richards chichester is in the same boat? xxx

i waited 6months for banding once id seen surgeon at st richards they have the worst waiting lists mr sommers is very popular

just a quick edit i got a phone call 2 weeks befor my op didnt hear a thing befor that even tho i rang they couldnt tell me, the woman who answers the phone can sometimes sound a bit abrupt but when you get to know her she is lovely

serenitylove, thanks finally found someone thats had dealings with st richards, thanks for putting my mind at rest started to think it was just me lol.. have spoken to two diffeent ladies in the office one 6 weeks ago who said March and then fridays that said just wait for the call, will have a chat to my gp Monday see if he can get anymore out of them.. xxxxxxx thanks for replying xxxxx

Hi Vics. Like you I'm waiting on St Richards. Was referred and accepted for funding last July. I went to see my GP last week cos I'd not heard anything and had been feeling suicidal. He said he'd chase them up and lo and behold, that evening I get a phone call for an appointment on 29 April with Mr Slater (I presume he's the consultant whereas Mr Somers is the surgeon???). They do have very long waiting lists but it can be so frustrating when you don't hear anything. Might be worth talking to your GP see if they can hurry things along?
Serenity - interesting to read you got a phone call with 2 weeks notice of the op. Is that average notice period?

spikeyjaycee, they are both sugeons at st richards, i had my consultation with shaw somers on the 28th august 2008 having been referred in March 2008, so nearly a year on from making the decision to go for surgery. I will see my gp on Monday hopefully and ask him to give them a bell as like you feeling really disheartened, dont know about you but im stillpiling on the pounds. Thanks hunnie for your reply, is it your initial appointment you've been waiting for or the actual surgery???? xx

Hi Vics. Its the initial appointment. Does that mean it will be a possible further year before I even get to surgery??? Heck.......... Yes I've been piling on the pounds too. Luckily my GP is very supportive and has given me Reductil short-term so I can lose a bit of weight - finding it SO hard to even move nowadays - my buttocks and the back of my thighs tighten up if I try walking even a few yards! I can see a motability scooter with my name on slowly moving my way at this rate....LOL

in my experience although not in your hospital, keep phoning them, eventually they either get sick of you and give you a date or tell them you are prepared to take cancellations that will get you a quicker date. hope it helps and chin up, just think of the results after you have it done not the wait now....

Back