• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Back to work after banding.

Red 42

novice bypasser
Hi folks

I'd originally planned to try and get back to work this Saturday, but am still very uncomfortable below the ribs, have infection in a couple of my wounds and still can't sleep lying flat all night...apart from that each day is getting better.

My manager knows about my op and that I'll need to be on lighter duties, but Saturdays are really busy days with only 2 reception staff instead of 4 (work in a busy vet practice) and don't want to leave my other colleague with all the cleaning and lifting 15kg bags of dog biscuits just because I can't! :eek:

do you think it cheeky of me to take 2 weeks off work? (actually only 4 days as I'm part time) I don't get paid sick pay, so I'm losing out, but I've never lost any time off on the sick until now and don't want them to think I'm taking the mick :eek:

Red if you are not well enough to go back to work without others helping you out then don't go back yet...the reason I say this is you obviously are Independant and are concerned about your work colleagues lifting more than they would have to and am a bit worried you may start lifting again after a shift or 2. You may be concientious of getting back to work but don't go back to early hun as you are not ready.
I had my Op on the 23rd May and I am not due back into work until Monday but I am going back tomorrow as I feel fine and have sailed through since Surgery...plus I do an Office job so no strain at all.
Thought I would save on my Leave going back tomorrow as may need some time for follow up appts and band fills...anyway the sun has gone lol!!

Good luck and don't feel guilty.

thanks Liz...good luck with work tomorrow xx

I used to do office work, and probably would have gone back at this point had I still been there as it wasn't face to face with clients.... but my job now is very busy, face to face and Saturdays are manic....anyway, I can only wear my bra for short periods so can't whip it off in the middle of morning surgery :sign0007:
I just don't like letting them down (work that is not boobs :D)

I think what I'm feeling under my ribs could just be bruising now, but when I try lying on my left side I can feel my port pulling (even though it's situated more to the middle - right of my rib area) still early days I guess :sigh:

Why don't you call your surgeon and tell him your concerns?

Also think on this, if you did go back to early and ended up doing yourself further damage, you could be off a lot longer. It would be best to get those infections clear if you are working near sick animals.

If you are not able to lift and do your duties you should not be there hun, you will be a liability to yourself and your co workers. They will cope without you and would prefer you to be safe and well.

i agree take the extra time off if needed, you have to think of your health 1st x

I have exactly the same feeling when I lay on my side.

Get your blanket and snuggle up to watch day time tv for another week or 2 hun if you can afford to, your health is more important.

Thankyou Ladies...sensible words...I've dropped my manager an e-mail and put her in the picture and should be returning on Monday, at least then there will be enough of us in to enable me to take a break mid morning and afternoon and by that time I'll be on sloppies and feeling a little more energised hopefully :)

hi red, your far better taking your time and not rushing back, i did not feel 100% from earlier gynae surgery and went back to work far too quickly like you i worried about colleagues etc i ended up with a massive infection which took ages to recover from, your health is far too important. x

thanks Julie...fab wl so far for you, WELL DONE!!!

you were banded at Dolan Park weren't you? when did the dietician get in touch? we were told within 5 working days of leaving hospital, but still heard nothing yet :rolleyes:

:mad: typical of dolan park this is.

Red talking as a nurse,I would have thought if you still have seepage and infection in your port sites that you shouldnt be going back to a veterinary practice till they are healed.
I would have seen your GP first whom I am sure would have signed you off another week. Do take care

Jay xx

thankyou Jay

I'm going to see the practice nurse on Friday...she put me onto flucloxicillin (?sp) last Friday but couldn't touch wound as it was all seeping from underneath the glue. The glue on that wound has now lifted off and started to dry up nicely, though its still very red and sore, so hopefully she won't have to do anything with it...will definately get her advice on return to work.

Back