• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Not telling colleagues about surgery

Hi All,
Thanks for the replies. Since my original post ive told 1 close colleague about it (needed someone to confide in).

After surgery i will probably tell people. But until its done and im healed and then the questions come i'll keep it quiet

x

I haven't read this thread so this might already have been said but in my humble opinion with all the publicity surrounding the various types of WLS so prevalent in the media, anyone who thinks that people won't work it out that we have had WLS is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Someone 300 pounds plus who has been for years and years, suddenly starts to lose tens even hundreds of pounds of weight at a rapid rate and keeps it off and you seriously think people won't guess how and why.

Pre op I told very few people because I didn't want any fuss if either it couldn't be done for some reason, or I bottled it on the day. Post op I told everyone, my integrity is too important to me to lie to people by saying I'm doing it by diet and exercise, and yes and you can kid yourself into thinking that's the truth if you like, but we all know that's just a crock.

Rather than have people sniping behind my back, by being honest with them I gave them the chance to be honest and open with me. The result was that they were able to support me on my journey.

Each to their own it's your journey and your choice.
yes im the same as karlos told just a select few before then when people noticed my weight loss i just told them the truth i wasnt going to lie and let people think i had done it by dieting ,, i think honesty is the best policy ( it stops the gossips in there tracks) xxxxx

I told everyone, I shouted it from the roof tops. I was brave enough to get help and face my problems. Each to thier own choice of course. But it's only now 3 years on that I face lack of support as people can no longer see the reason I got help and didn't do it on my own as such! I'm still proud of myself but some peoples reactions do take away a bit of the joy or should I say I allow them too, still need to build up my self confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi all
I took the step to tell HR that i was trying for funding right away. I have had a few surgerys in the past and always been off work longer than i anticipated. I therefor did not want to bank on just the 3 weeks. I also knew that more comments would have been made about weight loss and the small amount that i would be eating. So stuff these small minded people, this is about me and my health so everyone at work now knows. I do get the "I would never do that and if i was ill i would lose the weight" but i also have some supportive people and some jealous ones. I have also had the snipes, but i will be the one smiling in the end and that is all that matters. xx dont know what i did with the font lol

I don't think it should be considered being dishonest to not tell people before surgery. Which is what this thread is about. I chose to not tell people simply because I didn't want to deal with the whole you can do it on your own, or surgeries so drastic you don't need it, or you will lose way to much weight it's just starving yourself and the list goes on. I know that this would be peoples reactions because the ones I did choose to tell had these exact reactions. Now that I have had my surgery and people can't try to talk me out of it I will deff. Be more then happy to be honest with them about it. People have a different way of doing things though. So whatever makes you feel comfortable you should do. And I don't think it is very supportive of us to knock anyone down for coping with things the way they feel most comfortable doing.

i dont think any one is knocking any one down i personally just didnt tell many before but when i started losing and people commented i told the truth as i would have felt abit of a fool if it came out about the surgery and i had been telling people i had lost weight through diet and exercise,plus im not ashamed of what i did and yes there will always be questions and comments from certain people , but that for ME was what i was comfortable with x

I was so excited I told everyone!!! then found out its likely that i wont be able to get all the money lol
how embarrassing is that?!? :8855:

When I was considering surgery one 'friend' told me, dont have it, do you know you can die from that!!! Not what I wanted to hear, bearing in mind anyone can die after the simpliest of procedures or at any given time...
I couldnt cope with the small mindedness. Even this week a friend complimented me on my weight loss and asked how I did it, I told her I had surgery, and her tone and body language totally changed.. 'Oh I couldnt do it, No not for me that'.. she stopped praising and became very negative.
Cant be arse with it, we all deal with this as we see fit, its not about being dishonest, its about making our own choices and decisions. There are people out there that would rather see you overweight in my experience. I am happy with my decision in keeping it to myself, and if asked depending on who the person is I tell them the truth, alternatively I tell them I watch what I eat and I exercise now, which is the truth - I aint being dishonest to anyone, just being selective on who I confide in.

i dont think any one is knocking any one down i personally just didnt tell many before but when i started losing and people commented i told the truth as i would have felt abit of a fool if it came out about the surgery and i had been telling people i had lost weight through diet and exercise,plus im not ashamed of what i did and yes there will always be questions and comments from certain people , but that for ME was what i was comfortable with x

An excellent post. Having read the post you're responding to I can only assume it's a comprehension issue, as the title and first post are about not telling colleagues about surgery and not specifically about pre op as is claimed, so maybe our colonial friend also misread the typical British desire for honesty with knocking people down :D

Have a great Bank Holiday xxx

An excellent post. Having read the post you're responding to I can only assume it's a comprehension issue, as the title and first post are about not telling colleagues about surgery and not specifically about pre op as is claimed, so maybe our colonial friend also misread the typical British desire for honesty with knocking people down :D

Have a great Bank Holiday xxx
thanks karlos for that , every one on here wants to be supportive and not negative ,,but one has to be true to ones self ,,, happy bank holiday to allxxxxxxx

I wasn't meaning to sound rude at all with my post. Ultimately what I was getting at is that we should just be supportive of however people decide to hide there surgery and not say that they are being dishonest. I do not believe that calling people dishonest for how they choose to handle the pressures of surgery is being very supportive. That was all I was getting at. And I also realized that I did misunderstand parts of this thread as well. I guess that's what I get for reading these when I'm tired and trying to fall asleep lol. But anyways to each his or her own. We all have the right to live our lives as we choose.

Back