• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric sleeve (apprehensive)

Staruk1957

I am due to a gastric sleeve operation on th 15/12/11 I was fortunate enough to be offered a cancellation. The phone Call came out of the blue, needless to my stomach churned has I had not expecting the call has I had only been on the list
For 12 months! I have my pre surgery assessment on wednesday 30/11/11.
I phoned the hospital today to check if the appointment was still ok what the strike on Wednesday. They said if ant thing chases they contact me. It's just happening so quickly still better that way and won't stew so much,can anyone tell how rough I might feel after the operation. When I had my gall bladder remove I was in intensive care!! Would love to hear other experiences? I weigh
30 stone plus I can't weigh myself accurately at home..... Hope i don't sound too
Negative Has what read on this site has been very positive so far!!!!

Last edited:
Everyone is different but me
The first day of the op I has my op at 9am and stayed inthe bed pretty tired and a bit sore moving was painful especially bending in the middle. But by testing I was out Of bed and more mobile

The nExt day I was in terrible wind pain which lasted for twenty four hours

I would go through it all again though just except all the pain relief they give you and don't be afraid to ask for more

I am fairly early days with my sleeve, but my recovery so far has been great.... I didn't get the wind pain and other than being very sleepy post op (I had a pre med too which didn't help!), don't regret anything.... Good Luck with yours x x

Hiya as Ric says we are all different. I had no pain from my op but was ill due to aesthetic so stayed in an extra day. For example had my op on Monday and was walking to the bus stop with my daughter on the Thursday xx

Hiya I had op for sleeve a week yesterday. Was a little sore left of tummy for couple of days but nothing that paracetemol didn't help with. Hospital gave me peppermint capsules so didn't suffer with the trapped wind. Was home two days after the op. very tired for couple of more days but no pain :)

Good luck :) x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

The pain I had had gone by the time I got back onto the ward and after that all I had was some tenderness around the wounds but nothing that required pain relief.
good luck for the op.

I had my sleeve done the 26-3-11, I can honestly say that the surgery went very well i was up and out of bed the next day having a shower and driving everyone mad wanting to go home, it is very strange getting used to the sleeve and the new eating habits, but i would not change a thing i have lost over 8stone and every day i am glad i did it and i am where i am today, good luck you will be fine, big hugs xxx

Good luck Hun Ull be fine :) x

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Hi, Thanks for asking the question. I am having my sleeve op on 20th Dec so great to hear what people have experienced. Will be thinking of you. Cheers C x

Hi I had my sleeve done on 21st April, i was back on ward at lunch time and was having a wee walk in the hall by bed time.
I was uncomfi with a wee bit gas pain but the walking deffo helped.
I can honestly say i had no pain (im a real wimp and have a drama at the slightest thing lol),and kinda wondered if i had had the op done-there were the 5 insision cuts to prove i had also the drain but........
I sooooooo wish i had had this done years ago and im almost 8st down its the best thing i have done by far.
I was nervous the night before and ill no go into how i felt on the morning lol but we are human and its natural to feel this way.
Enjoy the journey look forward to hearing how your doing x

keyhole surgery is fab! Did you not have keyhole with your gallbladder op as I think it's similar to that (having had mine removed too). My op was at 3, back in room at 4.30...slept slept n slept..apart from getting up for loo in the night I kept on sleeping and was on my way home at 11 the next day! You do feel sore..you're bound to but it has to be better than full open surgery!!! Good luck with it...exciting times!!! :)

I didn't have sleeve, I had bypass, but it's no worse. I had no pain, just a bit sore on the cuts. I went down at 9, in recovery at 11.15 wide awake at 11.45 and rattling off hubbys NEW mobile number so they would call him. I was walking about and drinking costa coffee 3pm, I then went to another ward and watched all the saturday night tv programs as we didn't have a tv in our ward. I could very easily have gone home the same day. I had no pain relief as I didn't need it.
I know it's not the same for everyone, but most people only experience wind pain, this can be eased by moving about.
Good luck. x

I am due to a gastric sleeve operation on th 15/12/11 I was fortunate enough to be offered a cancellation. The phone Call came out of the blue, needless to my stomach churned has I had not expecting the call has I had only been on the list
For 12 months! I have my pre surgery assessment on wednesday 30/11/11.
I phoned the hospital today to check if the appointment was still ok what the strike on Wednesday. They said if ant thing chases they contact me. It's just happening so quickly still better that way and won't stew so much,can anyone tell how rough I might feel after the operation. When I had my gall bladder remove I was in intensive care!! Would love to hear other experiences? I weigh
30 stone plus I can't weigh myself accurately at home..... Hope i don't sound too
Negative Has what read on this site has been very positive so far!!!!
Hiya I had my sleeve done yesterday and to be honest with you I'm not in any pain my tummy has a really heavy feeling and I have a LOT of WIND! You will be fine fingers crossed for you Good luck CK xxxx:)

Back