• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Sleeve plication New less invasive procedure

honeykiss

Hi All,

I went to support group meeting at Chelsfeild Park last night and the surgeon there Mr Shamsi El Hasani was going to do a talk on this new type of gastric sleeve surgery.

It has been used in the USA for about 18 months with good results, just wanted to pass on some information to anyone who is considering the sleeve.

The surgery is done via the throat, no part of the stomach is removed but the results are equivalent to a standard sleeve. It is also revers able.

The surgeon has just received a licence to start offering the surgery here in the UK but It will not be available until next year here.

I found some information if anyone is interested.
Gastric Sleeve Plication Surgery at Angeles Health Mexico

Wendy

Hi wendy

I had this done 3 weeks ago and so far so good x

Ooooh Bex, I didn't know that :eek: So do you not have any incisions/wounds on your stomach then? Well I missed that then, lol xxx :D

ha ha twink yes xxx

Did you actually have this procedure? No wounds they go into the stomach via the throat? No staples no stomach removed and its reversible? I did not even realise it was available in the UK yet?

Wendy x

Hi All,

I went to support group meeting at Chelsfeild Park last night and the surgeon there Mr Shamsi El Hasani was going to do a talk on this new type of gastric sleeve surgery.

It has been used in the USA for about 18 months with good results, just wanted to pass on some information to anyone who is considering the sleeve.

The surgery is done via the throat, no part of the stomach is removed but the results are equivalent to a standard sleeve. It is also revers able.

The surgeon has just received a licence to start offering the surgery here in the UK but It will not be available until next year here.

I found some information if anyone is interested.
Gastric Sleeve Plication Surgery at Angeles Health Mexico

Wendy
i read about this when i was trawling the net today for a cheap bypass lol

The surgeon said that it would be a bit more than a band but less than a bypass or normal sleeve gastrectomy becuase there is no cutting involved, less time under anesthesia and only 2 night in hospital.
There were a few banders there who were very interested becuase some of them cannot eat certain foods because of the tightness of the band.

If you can afford to go private this will be a lot less than bypass so might be more obtainable for some people who cannot get funded via NHS.

Wendy

Sorry I read wrong, I had the sleeve with 5 small incisions - silly me !

This may not be the same as the wrap! The wrap involves incisions through the abdomen! In the USA a gastric plication is the same as the wrap, ie cuts to get the instruments in, fold stomach from the outside, sew down the length of the fold.

Are you sure the procedure was down the throat? That sounds like POSE!!

Did you actually have this procedure? No wounds they go into the stomach via the throat? No staples no stomach removed and its reversible? I did not even realise it was available in the UK yet?

Wendy x

Thats what he said!! Sounds almost unreal, what is POSE?

POSE:

POSE is an endoscopic procedure that involves placing sutures in the upper part of the stomach at endoscopy. These sutures have the effect of reducing the capacity of the stomach so that you will feel less hungry after the procedure and will feel full after eating a smaller amount of food, and will hence be helped in you aim of losing weight.

GASTRIC PLICATION (WRAP):

How Is Gastric Plication Performed?

We perform the Gastric Plication as a laparoscopic procedure. This involves making five or six small incisions in the abdomen and performing the procedure using a video camera (laparoscope) and long instruments that are placed through these small incisions.

Laparoscopic Gastric Plication, involves sewing one or more large folds in your stomach. During the Laparoscopic Gastric Plication the stomach volume is reduced about 70% which makes the stomach able to hold less and may help you eat less. There is no cutting, stapling, or removal of the stomach or intestines during the Gastric Plicaiton. The Gastric Plication may potentially be reversed or converted to another procedure if needed.

The Gastric Plication procedure is minimally invasive and takes approximately one to two hours to complete. Most patients stay in the hospital for 1-2 days after the procedure.

How Does Gastric Plication Cause Weight Loss?
Gastric Plication is a restrictive procedure. It greatly reduces the size of your stomach and limits the amount of food that can be eaten at one time. It does not cause decreased absorption of nutrients or bypass your intestines. After eating a small amount of food, you will feel full very quickly and continue to feel full for several hours. Gastric Plication may also cause a decrease in appetite.

I am now officially confused, I am certain they said it would be done via the throat with no incisions!! I might contact the bariatric nurse next week to make sure I heard right, dont want to talk about something thats not available !!

I am now officially confused, I am certain they said it would be done via the throat with no incisions!! I might contact the bariatric nurse next week to make sure I heard right, dont want to talk about something thats not available !!
im sure i read about this the other day!

i read about this when i was trawling the net today for a cheap bypass lol

I also have come across 2 threads tonight about gastric wrap / gastric sleeve pilcation which sent me off on a flurry of google searches to find out more about the wrap and % efficacy etc.

Well, at first I was shocked to find one article which suggested the gastric wrap (GW) is MORE efficient at achieving long term weight loss than the gastric bypass (GBP):
A comparison of the gastric bypass and t... [Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1993] - PubMed - NCBI

"After the third year, the percent of EWL declined in the GBP patients, averaging 48 percent at four years and 47 percent at five years. In contrast, the GW patients maintained a 72 percent EWL at four years and a 66 percent EWL at five years."

Those of you considering that option will,I'm sure be delighted by those figures, but as the NHS don't offer the gastric wrap it got me worried about the long term efficacy of the bypass, the best survey results for long term weight loss I could find for the full bypass are here:
SpringerLink - Obesity Surgery, Volume 15, Number 2

"% excess weight loss after 1, 2, 5 and 10 years were 89%, 87%, 70% and 75% respectively"

However, there are varying studies, some do have long term excess weight loss from the bypass as only 60% at 2 years post op and 50% at 5 years post op.

As I am fortunate to have NHS funding approved, my only options are the sleeve or full bypass, and currently I'm scheduled to have the full bypass. But during the months between now and the op, I am still curious to read about all the other options. I am quite tempted by the sleeve, but not sure yet. More reading / googling needed! LOL!

But it does look as if certain "new" ops only (currently) available privately might well be *more* effective than the ones the NHS is offering!

I dont think the majority of evidence says the plication is better Sharon, the RNY is still the optimal treatment with best long term evidence. The wrap is so new that there is no long term evidence!

Back