• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

GASTRIC SLEEVE -- info for friends / family

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
Hi Peeps,

Having decided in recent months to go for the sleeve, a few days ago I sent an e-mail to some of my friends and family who may have questions -- e.g. wonder why I am now referring to my "sleeve operation date" or what on earth a sleeve is etc etc -- (especially as 6 months ago they all thought I was having a "bypass").

If you would like a copy of the text and links of that email, please PM me.

I'm not going to post it all here, as I don't want to upset those who have chosen to go for a band or RNY or annoy the mods with too many links (the links and info I found to compose the email are very *pro* sleeve).

As some of you know, I have been 100% open and honest (to all my friends, family and work colleagues) since the start of my weight loss journey that I am having bariatric surgery and therefore I have also chosen to be totally open about the type of surgery I will be having.

For me, the last thing I need 6 or 9 months down the line is people asking me "So how did your bypass go?" or "Oh but you cheated with a gastric band, didn't you?" and then trying (probably not very succesfully) to correct people.

Just hit me up / PM me if you would like a copy of the email I sent to my F+F (either let me know your email addy, or I will PM you back with mine).

Regards,
Sharon

Last edited:
i'm maybe considering a sleeve, so if i do, i'll deffo get back to you, thanks sharon :) xxx

Don't no why , but do not have permission to pm you !

It might be because you have not made 50 posts yet. My email addy is: [email protected]

Yes it is a work email addy but I use it for everything inc personal as our friendly employer ;) gives us access to that email account 24/7 (we are tied to the company at all hours of the day!) and don't have access to Yahoo, Hotmail or Gmail whilst at work.

Wow Sharonimo you're on a Mission aren't you :) Good for you hun! If anyone wants to ask any questions of someone who has actually been through a sleeve gastrectomy, I'm here!

Hi Peeps,

Having decided in recent months to go for the sleeve, a few days ago I sent an e-mail to some of my friends and family who may have questions -- e.g. wonder why I am now referring to my "sleeve operation date" or what on earth a sleeve is etc etc -- (especially as 6 months ago they all thought I was having a "bypass").

If you would like a copy of the text and links of that email, please PM me.

I'm not going to post it all here, as I don't want to upset those who have chosen to go for a band or RNY or annoy the mods with too many links (the links and info I found to compose the email are very *pro* sleeve).

As some of you know, I have been 100% open and honest (to all my friends, family and work colleagues) since the start of my weight loss journey that I am having bariatric surgery and therefore I have also chosen to be totally open about the type of surgery I will be having.

For me, the last thing I need 6 or 9 months down the line is people asking me "So how did your bypass go?" or "Oh but you cheated with a gastric band, didn't you?" and then trying (probably not very succesfully) to correct people.

Just hit me up / PM me if you would like a copy of the email I sent to my F+F (either let me know your email addy, or I will PM you back with mine).

Regards,
Sharon

Hi sharon , i having a sleeve on monday would you mind sending to me thanks xx

Wow Sharonimo you're on a Mission aren't you :) Good for you hun! If anyone wants to ask any questions of someone who has actually been through a sleeve gastrectomy, I'm here!

Not quite .... almost! ;)

I have included 2 x disadvantages on my email and 3 x advantages. I did not want my own F+F people to get the wrong impression that the sleeve op is the totally perfect WLS and without risks -- all of the ops have some risks and some advantages and disadvantages, but for me, on balance, I decided the sleeve was the one for me.

I admit I have not had a sleeve (yet) and Murphy's Law might turn round and be ironic and on the day of the op there turns out to be some reason why the surgeons *can't* do a sleeve on me and have to have an RNY instead !!!

Last edited:
Hey Sharon, have you got Alvarez's book yet? Any good? I really like him! He reminds me of Angel on Dexter <3 :)

Yes, I have: Successful weight loss with The Gastric Sleeve - Dr. Alvarez

I'm about halfway thru reading it properly and thoroughly now (it is NOT a big book, only 100 pages long) and I only skimmed it when it first arrived in the post. Lots of post op dietary advice.

I think if they weren't both married I could be in love with either Dr Arya Sharma and/or Dr Guillermo Alvarez !!! :p :p :p

Back