• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gastric sleeve worries

belinda

hi i am one week post op after a gastric sleeve. ever since having the operation i have been terribly worried that i have made the worst mistake of my life. before i had the operation i asked the surgeon would i be recovered 3 weeks after the surgery in order to return to work, which is a very physical job requiring lots of stamina. he assured me i would.b4 surgery i went on the internet and watched peoples blogs and they all seemed fine to return to their desk jobs within a week, they didnt seem to have any problems. this was what swung my decision to have the surgery. i am one week out of surgery and feeling extremely tired, weak and faint. the problem as i percieve it is that i am simply only able to consume about 400-600 calories a day. i am feeling pretty low though trying to remain optimistic. no dietician or nutritionist would ever reccomend living on this amount but they seem to be fine about it in the diet plan. i would not be so worried about this if i didnt have to return to work in two weeks to a physical job that is extremely stressfull and demanding. i worried i simply will not be able to handle it and i will end up gettting the sack and put my whole life in jeopardy.
i also have pains in my chest when i try to swallow anything thicker in consistency than water.

i would like to hear from people who have had the gastric sleeve operation and find out what life is like for them now and was like in the first twelve weeks afetr the operation.

a} i would like to know what their typical day is like in terms of meals. how much they eat for breakfast ,lunch and dinner? and how many calories they consume per day.

b> do they regret the decision? or feel it was a good one?

c> are they able to have a normal and healthy lifestyle and relationship with food. are they able for instance to go to a restaurant and have a meal out? are they able to enjoy foood in a normal way?

d) are they able to exercise and live a healthy active lifestyle on so few calories?

e) do they suffer from any pain and discomfort when they eat??

f)i would like to hear in great detail their journey in the first twelve weeks after the operation.

I know i have asked for a lot but i am really worried here and would be really gratefull if people would take the time to respond to my post.

Many many thanks

dolly48dd

hi i am one week post op after a gastric sleeve. ever since having the operation i have been terribly worried that i have made the worst mistake of my life. before i had the operation i asked the surgeon would i be recovered 3 weeks after the surgery in order to return to work, which is a very physical job requiring lots of stamina. he assured me i would.b4 surgery i went on the internet and watched peoples blogs and they all seemed fine to return to their desk jobs within a week, they didnt seem to have any problems. this was what swung my decision to have the surgery. i am one week out of surgery and feeling extremely tired, weak and faint. the problem as i percieve it is that i am simply only able to consume about 400-600 calories a day. i am feeling pretty low though trying to remain optimistic. no dietician or nutritionist would ever reccomend living on this amount but they seem to be fine about it in the diet plan. i would not be so worried about this if i didnt have to return to work in two weeks to a physical job that is extremely stressfull and demanding. i worried i simply will not be able to handle it and i will end up gettting the sack and put my whole life in jeopardy.
i also have pains in my chest when i try to swallow anything thicker in consistency than water.

i would like to hear from people who have had the gastric sleeve operation and find out what life is like for them now and was like in the first twelve weeks afetr the operation.

a} i would like to know what their typical day is like in terms of meals. how much they eat for breakfast ,lunch and dinner? and how many calories they consume per day.
BREAKFAST= SCRAMBLED EGGS X 2
LUNCH=CUP A SOUP or PRAMN SALAD
TEA= FISH/CHICKEN/EGGS AND VEG
COFFEE (LOTS OF) NO FIZZY DRINKS
SUPPER= 1/2 WEETABIX
I TEND TO HAVE ABOUT 800/1000 CALS A DAY.

THE ONLY REGRET I HAVE IS I DIDN'T HAVE MY SLEEVE YEARS AGO. MY SLEEVE HAS SAVED MY LIFE.

c> are they able to have a normal and healthy lifestyle and relationship with food. are they able for instance to go to a restaurant and have a meal out? are they able to enjoy foood in a normal way?
I WENT OUT FOR LUNCH ON THURSDAY I JUST HAD A CHILDS SIZE MEAL, SOMETIMES I WILL JUST HAVE A STARTER( HUBBY LIKES TO COME OUT WITH ME SO HE CAN FINISH WHAT I LEAVE ) FOOD IS NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN MY LIFE ANYMORE.

d) are they able to exercise and live a healthy active lifestyle on so few calories?
IVE STARTED WALKING I DO 2 MILES ADAY AND TWICE A WEEK I DO 5 MILES I HAVE SO MUCH ENERGY.

ONLY IF I OVER EAT

f)i would like to hear in great detail their journey in the first twelve weeks after the operation.

I know i have asked for a lot but i am really worried here and would be really gratefull if people would take the time to respond to my post.
I DIDN'T GO BACK TO WORK UNTIL 8 WEEKS OUT, I FELT TRIED AND WEAK UNTIL ABOUT WEEK 6 I THINK ONCE I HAD GOT OVER THE MUSHY STAGE I STARTED TO FEEL BETTER.
HOPE THIS HELPS A BIT THERE ARE A LOT OF SLEEVERS ABOUT SO ASK AS MANY QUESTIONS AS YOU LIKE AND GOOD LUCK.

Many many thanks

:553:

luckyla

belinda said:

I HAVE NO IDEA HOW MANY CALORIES I HAVE?
BREAKFAST - one sachet of oats so simple.
MID MORNING - a yoghurt.
LUNCH - 2 ryvitas plus half a tub of cottage cheese.
MID AFTERNOON - a small pot of del monte fruit.
EVENING MEAL - tea plate size meal of meat, veg and potato of some kind.

I DON'T REGRET IT AT ALL. I'M NOW FEELING SO MUCH HEALTHIER AND AM GETTING MY CONFIDENCE BACK AGAIN :)

BEFORE SURGERY I LIVED TO EAT - NOW I EAT TO LIVE. AM HARDLY HUNGRY THESE DAYS!

DEFINITELY.

ONLY IF I EAT TOO QUICKLY.

I WAS EXTREMELY TIRED AND STILL AM. I'm now back to work full time but had almost 8 weeks off. I think you have to expect to feel tired for a while afterwards, due to the small amounts of food you can eat.

Many many thanks

I'm sure everything will work out well for you :)
As dolly said in her reply to you, your relationship with food will be completely different. To me it's no longer important xx

Very Big Chris

I am now 2 months post sleeve. I am only now moving to a proper solid diet. I was fortunate that I sold my business and had no time constraints on returning to work. I started part time work this week (28 hours a week) and have found it tiring and difficult to fit eating in around it! My answers to your questions are as follows:-

a)Breakfast = 3 x Weetabix with enough semi skimmed milk to make it into a grey slop!
Lunch = a protein shake
Dinner = I am tending to keep to my softish diet. Tinned tuna with mayo mixed in, quorn mince with gravy or sauce, mashed potatoes, baked beans, soup with bread soaked in. Bolognaise without the spaghetti, curry without the rice (again with Quorn rather than "real" meat). Baked potato without the skin. There are things I have learned not to try again. White fish, chips, chapati type bread such as wraps and burritos and pitta bread, any type of green bean, more than a spoonful of sweetcorn.

I probably have about 1250 cals a day, although when I train in the gym I add an extra shake to make it up to 1500.

b) Best thing my doctor ever talked me into. It has revolutionised my life and my health.

c) Went to the Beefeater with the family. Had a baked potato from the luchtime menu - they had no problem with my request.

d) Had to wait till my 6 week post appointment before I could "go heavy" back in the gym. But I can walk and talk at the same time!! Swim 40 lengths non stop. I can't repair the damaged knees and back from carrying 28 stone for many years, but they don't complain so much any more.

e) Early on, when I tried to rush the stages, but having to leave guests at the dining table to go and vomit soon teaches you your limitations.

f) When I was at my heaviest I would regularly fall asleep in the chair and have to be woken up to go to bed. I needed tablets for my high blood pressure, tablets for my Diabetes and tablets for my cholesterol, now all gone. Now, I feel full of life, my wife no longer fears being a widow before we reach 60 and we are looking forwards and planning for a busy retirement. Life is good and I wish I could have done this 15 years ago.

HTH

Chris

Denise Morris

Many many thanks

Hi
In first week or so you will feel quite rough but thats normal as your body heals and gets used to working on less calories.
I had sleeve in January and was advised 6 weeks sick leave (mainly due to diet restriction post op) after 3-4 weeks I was a lot better and could probably have returned if in office job only but as mine was nursing with moderate physical activity I followed advice and took 6 weeks then I was started back on phased return doing shorter days for first 3 weeks.
Take it easy and give yourself time to recover, don't feel pressurised to going back to work early you've had a major op and you don't want to go back too early and have a relapse and end up off work again because thats when employers get really shirty.

Denise Morris

Hiya
Forgot to add 12 week detail but will send seperate message with that as bit long for here.

Mixman

a) i would like to know what their typical day is like in terms of meals. how much they eat for breakfast ,lunch and dinner? and how many calories they consume per day.

Yesterday I had 2 hard boiled duck eggs and 2 slices of toast for breakfast (Late breakfast) For dinner I had a microwaved steamed meal of sweet chilli chicken and noodles. 'Normal' regular meals

The best decision ever!

Totally normal with food now over 2 years on. I can't eat a restaurent portion but generally can pick what I want. Certain things I can't stomach well. Rices and pastas and pastrys. Can have a little but they don't fill me up, they just make me uncomfortable if I eat too much!

I cycle miles and miles when I want. Yesterday morning I cycled 25 miles before anyone else got up. Calories aren't an issue, they will build up and you WILL have to exercise to keep the weight off.

As said, pastas, pastrys and chicken make me a little uncomfortable but I know the feelings and limits now.

The first 12 weeks I took very slowly concentrating on getting better and healing. The first 12 months I stuck to the diet religeously. No alcohol, nothing above 5% fat and 5% sugar, no eating and drinking within 30 minutes of each other

wannabeminime

Hey Belinda! How are you feeling now and are you back at work?? I want a sleeve and am worried about returning to work asap too!

Ric

Wants to run a marathon
Its sounds like you had unrealistic expectations, most surgeons say physical activities no sooner than 6 weeks, as your job is physical you could be of longer than those with 'desk jobs'.

I doubt you made a mistake, you wanted to lose weight right? Give it time be happy you have been given a gift :)

Ruthiep

I'm 3 and a half weeks post op. I really think to go back to work with a physical job is far too soon. I had my op on 30th November, and I have left the entire December and half of January free before I go back to work, and mine isn't that physical, although it involves a certain amount of moving around (antenatal teaching).

I am still having problems with certain foods, vegetables in particular but I have them as soups. I am still on the slop stage and as long as I stick to the rules and avoid food that gives me pain, I'm OK.

Typical meal day now:

Breakfast: 1/2 a sachet of porridge with skim milk.
Lunch: a cup of tomato soup with grated cheese.
supper: minced chicken or liver with gravy.

WIGLET

I am 5weeks 2 days since having my gastric sleeve fitted. I also had a hiatus hernia repaired at the same time. I have felt awful every day since having the operation.
At this moment I wish I had not had the operation done. I have severe nausea and am going back to Spire Murrayfield tomorrow for them to check me out.
I am struggling to eat and drink anything. I dont feel hungry or thirsty at all but know I should make an effort to get something over.

I will let you know tomorrow how I get on

Ruthiep

I am feeling nauseous mainly in the mornings like I'm preggers LOL! I have cut down the amount of pills I am trying to swallow...most of them are variants on the same theme; food supplements helping with arthritis.. no real proof they do diddly so I have cut it down to just glucosamine. and a multivit obviously, and calcium and vitamin D, and iron. Still loads! And try and get some acidophilus in somewhere but not in the mornings as I am sick enough trying to swallow those.

I can't say I feel as bad as Wiglet. I am slowly managing to eat small amounts of soft cooked chicken, and have discovered that carrots don't give me wind pain like broccoli and cauliflower do so that's a huge plus. Hopefully better day by day.

Denise Morris

I am feeling nauseous mainly in the mornings like I'm preggers LOL! I have cut down the amount of pills I am trying to swallow...most of them are variants on the same theme; food supplements helping with arthritis.. no real proof they do diddly so I have cut it down to just glucosamine. and a multivit obviously, and calcium and vitamin D, and iron. Still loads! And try and get some acidophilus in somewhere but not in the mornings as I am sick enough trying to swallow those.

I can't say I feel as bad as Wiglet. I am slowly managing to eat small amounts of soft cooked chicken, and have discovered that carrots don't give me wind pain like broccoli and cauliflower do so that's a huge plus. Hopefully better day by day.
I see from your info you went private for op, so not sure if you got same post op diet advice as was given to me after my sleeve (NHS) 4 weeks pureed diet and further 2 weeks soft texture (scrambled egg/baked beans/minced meat in gravy), so having even soft chicken at this stage might be too early and could be contributing to nausea.
Even following dietitians advice I still had odd days when I would feel nauseous/vomit, almost a year on and I feel okay now.

Ruthiep

I see from your info you went private for op, so not sure if you got same post op diet advice as was given to me after my sleeve (NHS) 4 weeks pureed diet and further 2 weeks soft texture (scrambled egg/baked beans/minced meat in gravy), so having even soft chicken at this stage might be too early and could be contributing to nausea.
Even following dietitians advice I still had odd days when I would feel nauseous/vomit, almost a year on and I feel okay now.

I was told two weeks liquid, two weeks soft mushy, and by four weeks post op I should be experimenting with proper solids. So I was on the soft food stage two weeks post op and am almost at four weeks now, which is why I thought I'd try chicken.

In fact I felt much worse after eating baked beans or even the softest mushy vegetables (except carrots which seem OK) than after chicken, and I feel at my worst in the morning before eating anything. If I do have chicken at all it's the tiniest quantity you can imagine, like a few shreds..very well chewed, so probably not that different from mince.

It could be that I am swallowing my pills (admittedly far fewer than I used to now) whole, albeit very slowly and one at a time, because the whole experience of breaking open capsules into yoghurt was in itself vomit inducing; there's a reason why they keep that disgusting powder inside capsules!

Last edited:

westlondongirl

I had my sleeve op 3 and a half weeks ago and have only started to feel better in the last few days, I too was starting to think very negative . but I have turned a corner now,

I have 3 table spoons of readybeak for breakfast I found weetabix hard to digest, then a glass of skimmed milk with extra milk powder and fruit made up as a milk shake mid morn , lunch is soup , dinner is mash potatoes and veg blended, plus another milkshake/smoothy in the evening. i try not to calorie count but just eat/drink when i feel hungry.

I cant wait to just eat un blended food.....soon x

I also had a strangulated hernia repair done which added to the pain , but can now manage to go for a walk for 30 mins a day and have been swimming which was tough but not impossible.

good luck take care x