• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery not done at UCLH due to excess fat?

MelD

Hi all,

When I first saw one of the surgeons at UCLH, he said to me that they operated on a woman the week before and in the end didn't go through with the bypass/sleeve surgery due to a lot of fat at the top of her stomach. He explained that this may also happen to me as I have a lot of my fat around the top part of my stomach. Has anybody else had any problems with this and was their surgery not gone through with because of this problem?

I am really worried about this as I soooo want the surgery and will be disappointed if they go in and then decide that they can't do it!

Any advice on this would be great!

Thanks x

Mixman

This is the main reason why the pre-op diet should be followed religiously.

The point of the diet is to shrink the liver giving better access to the area where they perform the operations, the top of the stomach. A lot of us will have a lot of fat here, the liver shrinkage helps to get round the problem. It's the reason I ended up with a sleeve instead of a bypass, the area was still too fatty, even after following the diet, so the sleeve was a quicker, safer, option.

TamPerez111

wow. That sounds weird.. i have never heard of that happening but it does make sense. You should ask your doc if he has any suggestions on what you can do along side of the pre-op diet to help out. Maybe if you were to start the pre-op diet earlier even?