• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gastric sleeve

Hi and welcome...I will be having a bypass at the Whittington next week Tuesday the 24th..I am currently on the Liver Shrinkage Diet which I have to do for 2 weeks prior to surgery.

Hi labelle,do you know how long it was before you had a date for surgery,after being put on the list,and what happens on your pre op assessment,I have been accepted and put on list,I have had another appointment come through for April,do you know if that would be for pre op,sorry so many questions,

Hi Shelly...after my endoscopy at the beginning of December 2014...I was given my date for surgery...I recall I had a follow up appointment on the 15th December with my surgeon after the endoscopy...he gave me a date for 24th March...so the wait from when I was listed to surgery is abt 3 months... In this time I was told to lose 2 stones...I then got two letters in January one confirming my surgery date and another for the pre op assessment for the 5th of February...u will get a pre op assessment letter 4 weeks before surgery ... U go in to see the pre op nurse on this day it's just to make sure you are fit for surgery and to make sure you are not putting on weight...so you get bloods done, mrsa swab, blood pressure, weight and your throat is checked....pre op is done a few weeks before surgery to make sure your healthy enough to undergo surgery and if anything is wrong with you it gives you time to be 100%...so a week after pre op assessment got a call from the nurse saying that my iron levels were quiet low so I had to start on iron tablets asap...at pre op you are also given a LSD which u have to follow for 2 weeks before surgery...4 250ml protein shakes a day made with skimmed milk...plus two litres of water... Am under Dr Alhamadani...which surgeon are you under? Seems as though they all have different time frames on the waiting list...am sure the next letter you will get is surgery date and pre op date....sorry for going on...hope this gives u an idea of what to expect.

Thanks labelle,I am very grateful for the information,it is comforting to hear from someone who is at the same hospital.The surgeon I am under is Dr Sufi.Could I ask you have you had any information regarding vitamins,what you have to take,when you start taking them ect

Wishing you all the best for your surgery on the 24th,what surgery are you having,I am prob having the sleeve,I was having the band,but as I take a lot of meds it was advised to me to have a sleeve

Hi Shelly, it's ok am happy to help...because when I first joined the forum about 1 year ago...it was really hard to find anyone at the same hospital...in regards to vitamins I only have general information provided at the seminar I attented a few months back...you will need a multi vitamin everyday for life, calcium and iron tablets...I think a b12 injection every 3 months... But before I leave hospital after surgery I will meet with the dietician who will explain what and how I have to take my vitamins and she will also advise me on post op diet. I will be having the gastric bypass...you should attend the support group, it's held every 3rd Thursday of the month in the education centre from 5.30pm-7.30pm...it's really quiet helpful lots of pre op and post op people...

Thanks labell,glad to know about the vitamins,they don't really tell you much on your appointments,it's usually a lot of what they want to tell you,and then you are being rushed out before you have a chance to ask anything,I have been to the support group,I went to the one in January and I did find it very helpful,but I do find the time quite awkward as I have a big family with 4 children,5 actually including my hubby,is it possible that you were at the January support group

Hi I am having wls at the whittington, I saw the consultant on January the 26th and was put on the list for a gastric band and have just received my date for surgery which will be the 4th of June :)

Hi Kayy That's great news,I am hoping I receive my date very soon,what surgeon are you under.
I am under Dr Omar Khan who is coincidentally the same surgeon who referred me for weight loss surgery in November 2014 after removing my gallbladder. When did you do your education group class? X

Hi kayy,I am under Mr Sufi,met him briefly on my last hospital appointment,the date of the education group which I attended was on the 26th March 2014,and I attended the support group in January,so coming up a year since start of process,I was going to have band but I was advised to have a sleeve because of all the meds I am on,will be glad to get a date soon,as would like to get it over with

Hi kayy,I am under Mr Sufi,met him briefly on my last hospital appointment,the date of the education group which I attended was on the 26th March 2014,and I attended the support group in January,so coming up a year since start of process,I was going to have band but I was advised to have a sleeve because of all the meds I am on,will be glad to get a date soon,as would like to get it over with
Mine all happened very fast, my education group was I think the 16th of January, consultant on the 26th and surgery booked for June. I had already been seeing a dietician for 2 years and had s regular exercise plan in place and also my liver is in very bad shape so surgery asap was a must. My heart sank at the education class when they said it could take up to two years to get to surgery. After waiting for my date for quite a while I contacted the pathway co-ordinator who passed me on to surgery admissions and got given my date over the phone x

Back