• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gastroscopy

suzz69uk

Hi All,

I am due to have a gastroscopy on 10th May at SRH. I am just wondering whether you had spray or sedation? I am in 2 minds as I think I will be going alone... will I be able to drive home afterwards if sedated?

I can't help you... have you phoned your team to ask them the question? They should be able to give you all the help & answers to questions you may need. xx

Everyone is different with what they can cope with. For me I was ok with the spray.

Good luck with it

Jo
xx

I had one too last week and had the sedation. Just a little something in my hand and before I knew it it was all over and someone was tapping me on my hand saying wakey wakey! Lol you'll be fine hun. Good luck. Annie x

I just had the throat spray because I live on my own. Sorry but I found it really traumatic. I gagged constantly and had to be held down and thought it would never end.

The upside is that once it was over and I'd stopped shaking I had a cup of tea and went home and it was all over and done with. So it's not at all pleasant but in the big scheme of things it's just a yucky 15 mins of your life.

I had a nightmare as I chose sedation but they struggled to find a vein, about 4 people attempted it and eventually someone said they found one and I was wheeled away but I told them I didn't feel any different. They said it would be ok and carried on and I thought I was choking to death. I too was gagging and thrashing about. It turned out that they had put the sedation into a muscle!!!!

hi i was going 2 have sedation so took the wife 2 drive home but they were great at the hospital and i had the spry instead,np as long as u just relax and think be over in a couple of mins,gl with yours yu,ll be fine honest

i had mine 3 wks ago and i was going for the sedation but ended up having the spray dont get me wrong i gagged all the way through it and had burst all the blood vessels in my eyes looked like i had black eyes but you know what i would have it again as it wasnt that bad once i calmed down and got my breathing right was just me panicking that made me gag all the time

Hi all, Thank you for your responses. The not driving for 24hours may be an issue so it looks like the spray for me (although not keen on the idea of banana spray lol) alas, they have had major problems finding veins in me for bloodtests in the past as my veins immediatly collapse once a needle is shown heehee.

H i i had the spray because of driving, you have to relax and do as they tell you, i was in and out in an hour, it was not nice. but felt better for having the spray.

hi, i chose to have the spray, as didnt want family to have to wait long for me, it wasnt pleasant but it was quick, i did feel the need to gag as i was told to swallow when the camera was going down, and the banana spray well what can i say it defo did not taste like banana, it was rank. but glad it was over in a matter of minutes. good luck xx

Hi Suzz69uk,

I am having mine on the 18th of May, I am too feeling a bit worried, but I have chosen to have sedation, because the thought of it makes me gag! wishing you good luck for yours and I'm sure it will be fine x

I was told at the seminar that sedation wasn't an option. Tough love or what lol.
I've had cameras up & down loads of times over the years & I have to say I've never been offered sedation.
I think the best way to get through it as everyone else has said is to think it's a necessary evil & the sooner it's done the sooner it's over.
Good luck hun.
xx

Hi Suzz

I've had two of them. The worst part is swallowing the tube. It of course feels very weird trying to swallow something long and tube shaped ! If you panic as it goes in you will gag (you may gag once or twice anyway as it's just a reflex response). Once it's in the best thing is to just imagine you are somewhere else. You can sort of feel it, but if they aren't waggling it around too much, it's bearable. It only last about 10 mins max aswell.

I didnt have sedation either time as I had to drive myself home again.

A lot of it depends on the staff. My first one the staff were lovely (it was at a different hospital). In the second one the nurses were sat chatting to each other about what they were having for dinner, and pretty much ignored me. The guy doing the procedure also rushed through it, and was generally less careful. I bled aftwewards on the second one. It felt like he just rammed it in ! The first one like I said the staff were lovely. Slow and very careful.

If you have the choice I would say be sedated, if you cant though then dont panic too much, as this seems to cause most of the problems :)

thanks all for your replys.
next question...

i haven't yet got my letter or instructions, the hosp called yesterday to confirm apt for tuesday but it was a bad signal on my mobile. can anyone tell em what i need to do in preparation? can i have breakfast etc... also where do i go? it's at srh.

I will call them on monday but just wondering if any of you can advise in advance of this.

hiya , i had mine done at srh on thursday . i was asked which i preffered, i opted for the spray and was told if i found it too much they would give me the injection also, however although it wasnt nice i managed with just spray onl takes 5 mins and its over with, also if u have the seation he said i would have to sit around for hour before he would discuss outcome, so i think if you can stand 5 mins of discomfort its best way, they talk to you all way through, relaxing ya, i thought of all the good things that is going to happen once all these tests and op is over, focused and it went over quick.so i hoep this helps you a little. xx

Hi suzz69uk

I would call and check, but you can't eat for quite a few hours before. maybe 6 ? Not sure now. They tend to be in the morning though so think it normally means just skipping breakfast.

I think you can't have anything at all to drink in the morning. Just water up to 2 hours before. Check with hospital though. Thats from memory and could be totally wrong lol.

Back