• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Getting Home

Most definatly not, and the nurse wont let you leave on your own either i had to wait for my friend to pick me up the nurse wouldnt even let me walk to the hospital entrance on my own. im not a driver so someone correct me if im wrong but your not allowed to drive for a few weeks after, that is what i was told at the seminar.

barbara x

In a word no,your insurance would be invalid,I think for 6 weeks and the hospital wont let you out without someone to help you.Plus you woulnt feel up to driving anyway,you need a pillow on your tum for going over bumps etc.

hi x

If your having anasthetic then it will stay in your bllod stream for 48 hours... not only must you not drive but you should have someone around you or cheaking in on you for the 1st 2days. your insurance will be invalid untill u get a copy of a "fit to drive certificate" following any surgery ( well thats what happens in my case), you must get your doctor to document on his notes that he feels your are safe and able to drive (god forbid an accident but you will have it in black and white that the doctors agreed). just make sure you cover yourself from all angles re driving x i was allowed to drive 3 weeks post c-section (normally 6) so i had to do all of the above x

best of luck sweets xxxxxxx

You won't be up to driving as the muscles will need to heal before you do. I got a taxi home from hospital which was expensive but meant that I could get home without telling other people.

Hope this helps. xx

I worked for a car insurers last year and I had to reject a claim from someone who had an operation and had driven before the policy allowed. I can't remember what our rules were but I remember from training that it varies depending on the insurance company.

Another thing to bear in mind is that you can't drive when taking some of the stronger pain killers.

Hope you manage to make other arrangements ok

Thanks guys. The diet said something about as soon as you fell that you would have no pain when trying to do an emergency stop. Never thought about insurance conditions ! Then again if you happened to have an acceint say 2 weeks after surgery - they wouldnt know you had been in hospital anyway ?

Yeah but have you seen the forms you have to fill in now after an accident,and say you crashed on the way home from hospital and hemmoraged(sp) you cant get out of not driving.Maz x

i'm getting a taxi home. they'll let me walk down to the hospital entrance surely?

hi yorkiegal, it might be different with each hospital in regards to leaving the ward on your own but i know at SRH the nurse on duty would not let us leave unless someone came to the ward for us, if you are arranging a taxi you could always ask the taxi firm to see if the person picking you up is allowed up to the ward, or ask one of the nurses to see if they could walk you to the enterance if you dont want the taxi man knowing what treatment you have had. hope this helps. all the best barbara xx

My surgeon told me 10 days!! Stay safe xx

Definately not! I had to either have someone pick me up or the THG arranged transport for me and I had to sign to say that there was someone at home to look after me too.

i didn't attempt driving til about 2-3 weeks post-op.
They usually say once you are comfortable enough to be able to do an emergancy stop then you will be ok to drive, just take it easy

I was at Salford Royal and they just let me go. I wandered down to the patients waiting room till my daughter came to pick me up. I drove a week later, although I was back at work by the Friday after having my op on the Monday. I had a band though - and a bypass is a different matter.

I was in quite a bit of discomfort in my abdomen on discharge and just walking to the hospital entrance was a bit of a task. Hubby had brought me a pillow to hold to my tummy for the journey, but i still felt every bump in the road on the 60 mile journey home ! I was also high as a kite on painkillers and dizzy from dehydration.
My dehydration continued for months, so i didn't drive for about 12 weeks, but i think that i was a bit unusual in that respect.

Back