• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gastroscopy

I was dreading having this test done and had spoken to a friend who had had it done the previous week and said she had had the sedation but remembers being a little 'silly' and recalled the doctor being quite stern with her as she was grabbing at the tube, she said she was quite sore afterwards.

I decided I would opt for the throat spray so at least I could leave quickly afterwards. It was rank but it did numb the throat akin to what the dentists would inject into your gums if you were having a filling.

I was told it would be a 20 minute procedure so prepared myself for that. Once on the bed in position I was feeling very nervous but I managed to swallow when he said and not panic. I did however gag a little when the camera went through my oesophagus which is a natural reflex and the reason why you fast for 6 hours prior to your appointment. The doctor said I could breath through my mouth or nose, which ever felt the most comfortable and I found I could take slow deep breaths and I found that gently tapping my upper chest with my fingertips seemed to help me zone out of what was going on as I was concentrating on stopping myself being sick. I thought at the time I can do this, its only for another 15 minutes and within a moment of this particular thought, the doctor was removing the tube. I couldn't believe it, I was quite giddy that it was over and I had stayed calm. It literally took 5 minutes from lying down to completion and the tube all being removed with me.

I didn't have any sore throat and was soon buying a lovely sandwich from the nearest supermarket hehe!!

Sometimes we build things up in our heads and often it turns out to be much less traumatic than we had envisaged.

I have not had mine yet, but i have had one done before and i have to say i hated every min of it, they sedated me but they did not give me the right dose for my weight and it did not work all that well, i had to be held down by 4 people as i was fighting them all off due to the gaging and feeling like i could not breath, i am so scared of going for another one but this time i will make sure they know what happened the other time, i think if you ahve it in you to relax and let them do it will not be that bad but if you are like me i could not help it.

Well I had my test yesterday, without sedation. The spray did taste like banana but it was not very nice and stung my throat. th surgeon - Mr Balupuri was excellent as was the two nurses I dealt with. I felt immediately at ease when I entered the unit. Once I was lying down and the tube was put in my mouth the male nurse (really goodlooking one too) wiped away my tears and held te mouth gard in place. I felt really safe!. I must say all my worrying was unneccessary, it was uncomfortable but not too painful for me.

Mr Baupuri showed me the photo of my stomach and went on to ay i had a haitus hernia and said he would need to repair or remove it during surgery. Once i wentback out to be discharged the nurse explained what the hernia was made sure all my questions were aswered before signing me off.

I have had a few of these, and i found it fine i couldnt have spray.(allergy)and didnt want that feeling after sedation,and was fine ,not enjoyable but bearable, if your having something done ,i had some biopsies,id think sedation would be easier ,only because of the time it takes, i found counting in my head during each test helped,to keep my breathing slow and not panic, if your worried or nervous go for sedation,dont stress yourself ,its not worth it x good luck x

Back