• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

GATRIC BYPASS 29/6/08

Melting Mama

Hi all im new here so please be gentle.
i am julie 43 yrs old and i had gastric bypass on 29th june 08.

i had a mixed few weeks with friends support got through now at week 7 and can eat normally, however i get growling in my tum is this normal it starts after a couple of mouthfuls and i panic and stop eating.

finding my mood changes also from day to day so feeling very confused all round

had my operation at Spire Hospital Manchester under wonderful surgeon Mr Basil Ammori.

was only in hospital overnight and coming home was sure a scary feeling as its so strange to talk with people who dont know anything about the op or know how you feel, glad i found a support group to now help me

julie

Hi Julie,

Just wanted to wish you a warm welcome here to MiniMins. I find everyone so helpful and supportive here.

I am only 2+ weeks post op my RNY, and can tell you I get growling in my tummy too! There will be someone more experienced along here soon, who can put your mind at rest I am sure. I have put mine down to air in my pouch, and general digestion in the pouch! I have no pain or anything like that. If you are worried though, maybe speak to your dietician/surgeon?

I am sure your mood changes will settle over time, I'm pretty much the same. Our bodies are going through major changes, I believe its only normal to have mixed feelings? Just make sure you have a good supportive network around you, so you can talk and express your feelings. This site is a great place to do that.

Anyway, just wanted to welcome you, keep us posted on how you get on!

Kel xxxx

Hi Julie, I am a bander not a bypasser so can't help too much with the growling tummy (although post-band my tum also makes some very peculiar noises at times!)
Just wanted to say welcome to minis - you will be glad you found us - everyone is truly helpful and will do their best to support you along the way x

Hi Julie, Welcome to the forum I have dound lots of support and advice on here and use it alot. i had my bypass done by the same surgeon at the end of May. The grumbling also put me off eating initially but you will soon learn what you can and can't manage. I can honestly say that i do not regret the op at all and feel so much happier. keep positive and you too will get used to how your body feels etc and life including eating etc will feel normal x

Hi Julie,

welcome to mini's :D I'm one month post bypass so a couple of weeks behind you.

My theory on the grumbling - post bypass we chew our food a lot more thoroughly and eat slower right? In everybody when you think about food, or see a food you like, or smell it etc, or start eating, your stomach is conditioned to respond by producing acid and gearing up to digest it. Think Pavlov's dog. So post bypass, we spend a lot longer eating small amounts, chewing everything (chewing itself will stimulate the stomach) and so that will set our stomach off gurgling and preparing. What happens then though is that there is a lot less to digest, so our stomaches are adjusting because they are conditioned to digest a large amount of food and so produce a large amount of acids etc.

ickle tum needs time to adjust to ickle portions basically.

Also, gurgling is completely natural. your tummy gurgles constantly, its just that you're not always aware of it. Put a microphone next to your tummy, or lay your head on your partners, and you'll hear it grumbling away. Its just what tummys do :)

gosh well mine can be heard on other side of room and i get some very strange looks from people but just larf and say oh its just my gremlin lol:eek:

julie

I have bought the book weight loss surgery for Dummies. I have only just started reading it but it is full of little tips etc. if and when i come to the section on gurgling tummies i will let you know what it says. But so far a good source of info.
hc

Back