• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone had or planning a gastric bypass at BUPA Manchester with Mr Ammori?

Thaialina

Hi everyone!
I'm going for a consultation this Friday (May 2 2008) for a gastric bypass. I'm going to the BUPA/Spire Hospital in Manchester to see the surgeon, Mr Ammori.
I've read loads of threads on this site where many have encouraging words and advice on the bypass, which is fab.
I was just wondering whether there's anyone around this part of the UK who has had or is planning to have this treatment at the same place.
Please get in touch!!
Thanks,
Sara :)

Hi Lottiecat,
It is so nice to speak to someone else nearby who will be having the op done by the same surgeon as me. My op is on May 31st at Spire. I know what you mean about being excited, I wish the time would fly so that I could just get it over and done with now. Are you getting it done keyhole? My email is [email protected] if you want to keep in touch. I'm really excited for you.

Mr Ammori did my bypass too!!! at Manchester Royal Infirmary. He has a fab reputation x

Hi Tammy and Julie!
Nice to hear from other successful Mr Ammori patients. How are you both doing by now?
Hi generally doing ok. alot better than i thought. Seem to be eating ok and the weight is coming off great. Have only had one follow up though and not due to be seen again till end of oct. How has your post op support been? x

Hi Tammy,
I only had my first appoitment with Mr Ammori, dietician and bariatric nurse yesterday. It was meant to be the 6 week check up, but it was in week 11! Luckily for me I'm doing really well though. I had a feew constipation issues post op, but as I have the dietician and Mr Ammori's numbers I just text them and they got back to me asap.

yes doing good 8 weeks out and lost 56lb im over the moon, only issue is this morning sickness feeling, can eat ok no probs im amazed.

julie

Looks like the Basil Ammori fan club lol

- I had my bypass with Mr Ammori at the Alex in Cheadle last Saturday, he's a fantastic surgeon and slightly different to any of the other bariatric sugeons on the circuit, Mr ammori hand stitches the joins inside, which mean no leakage, a better join and very little surgical adhesion which promotes a fasted recovery ! apparently sugeons come from all over to watch this procedure as its considered very technical !
I questioned Mr Ammori about his technique during my pre op meeting, he said it makes the surgey more interesting for him :) and becuse the joins are better it means no re admission due to leaking, so no berium meal !
I travelled up from Kent to Manchester for my op, well worth the distance in my opinion.

Anyone planning to see or undergo surgery with Mr Ammori is in my opinion in the bst hands possible.

Richard

Hi Tammy,
I only had my first appoitment with Mr Ammori, dietician and bariatric nurse yesterday. It was meant to be the 6 week check up, but it was in week 11! .

I have my 6 week check up on 3/09 which will be 10 weeks...obviously very busy.

I was told that their would be follow up calls from the bariatric nurse / dietician every 2 weeks until the clinic appt tho & have had no contact at all. Luckily i haven`t had any major problems but they do provide all their numbers so i`m sure help would be there if required.

Mr Ammori does seem to have a very low post op complication rate tho compared to other surgeons thats one of the reasons i chose to travel down to manchester from newcastle for my op :)

I have my 6 week check up on 3/09 which will be 10 weeks...obviously very busy.

I was told that their would be follow up calls from the bariatric nurse / dietician every 2 weeks until the clinic appt tho & have had no contact at all. Luckily i haven`t had any major problems but they do provide all their numbers so i`m sure help would be there if required.

Mr Ammori does seem to have a very low post op complication rate tho compared to other surgeons thats one of the reasons i chose to travel down to manchester from newcastle for my op :)

Did you both go private or via the NHS ?, if you went private i'd be a bit concerned as the aftercare is something your paying for, i'm now 6 days post op and have had 3 calls from my dietician and two follow up calls fom my nurse, the consultant i'm under (Dr David Ashton) came up from London to see me and another paitent at the Alex while i was in and he's made me a follow up appointment at his out paitents clinic in Harley st next Thursday !

i had my operation private with Mr Ammori and had dietician call at 2 weeks and email diet sheets after op and follow up at 6 weeks
julie

Thanks for all your responses. It sounds like Mr Ammori has been very busy in theatre recently. I wasn't told that I would have calls every two weeks, but I was told I'd get a 6 week appointment, which worked out to be 11 weeks post op. At least he's done a good job on my op! I'm very pleased.

Looks like the Basil Ammori fan club lol

- I had my bypass with Mr Ammori at the Alex in Cheadle last Saturday, he's a fantastic surgeon and slightly different to any of the other bariatric sugeons on the circuit, Mr ammori hand stitches the joins inside, which mean no leakage, a better join and very little surgical adhesion which promotes a fasted recovery ! apparently sugeons come from all over to watch this procedure as its considered very technical !
I questioned Mr Ammori about his technique during my pre op meeting, he said it makes the surgey more interesting for him :) and becuse the joins are better it means no re admission due to leaking, so no berium meal !
I travelled up from Kent to Manchester for my op, well worth the distance in my opinion.

Anyone planning to see or undergo surgery with Mr Ammori is in my opinion in the bst hands possible.

Richard

Hi Richard, I dont have funding yet but my consultant is referring me to Mr Ammori to see if he thinks I am suitable for surgery. I hear he has a great reputation as a surgeon but what is he like to talk to? I have to explain why I want the surgery and what it would mean to me and whilst I dont mind talking to strangers I dont want to give him the wrong impression only the right one....Linda

Hi Linda,
Mr Ammori is a quiet man. He doesn't say a lot, but is open to questions you may have. He is really pleasant and quite laid back, so you'll be fine talking to him. He may ask you about diets you've been on, your weight history and what you tend to eat (like whether you snack etc). I was very open in mine and because my BMI was 43ish and I like snacking he said the op would be suitable for me. Good luck. Let us all know how you get on.

Thanks Sara for that, I am very like you its little and often with me, bit like a grazing cow! I have checked his credentials he is very talanted and I will be in good hands....its so exciting.....Linda x:D

Hi Linda

Yep i'll second what Sara's said, He's a really nice guy, i only met him on the day of my op as i'd been assesed by my London consultant Dr David Ashton, but Mr Ammori was spot on, answered all my questions and very laid back about what he does, i even questioned him about his sewing skills as he's renound for hand stitching rather than using stapples, which apparently means lower surgical adhesions, and i'm told a very skiled practice, Basil just said it makes his job more interesting, i couldn't fault him and would recomend him to anyone !

Hope that helps

Richard

Oh thanks for that Richard its good to know he is very good and I have no nerves about meeting him at all now....will keep you all posted....Linda x

Back