• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Bypass

Jules8307

Hi

I am new to this site but I am hoping to be having a gastric bypass shortly and thought i would use this site as a sort of diary and also a place to get support from other people in my situation.

I have my consultation with the surgeon in Leeds on Thursday 6th December, so i am really looking forward to that and hoping we can decide on the best option for me.

A little about me, I'm Julie, 24 from manchester. I have always been overweight and like everyone else have tried all the possible ways of losing weight.

I asked my doctor to refer me for this but he didn't do it, it took me writing to the nurse at my doctors practice to make him see sence. She's a great lady and if this all works out for me i will owe her a lot.

If any one can give me any tips or advice i would be so grateful as i don't know anyone who has had this and would like to be able to talk about it.

Thanks
Jules :)

Welcome to Minimins Jules, and wishing you luck for your surgery :)

Hi Zoe!

I was reading your diary before I joined this site and to be honest was hoping i could talk to you about the bypass! lol. So thanks for replying to my thread. I don't know anyone who's had it done so would you mind if i asked you a couple of questions?
Your weightloss is amazing and if i can have the sucess with it that you have i'd be over the moon.

If you don't mind me picking your brain let me know and i'll do just that! I've got loads of questions. I am at the hospital to see the surgeon on Thursday and i know he's not going to get a word in edge ways with me! lol

Thanks again, and well done!!

Jules x

Zoe,
I'm going to start writing my questions here so I can add to it if you I think of more. I'm useless at this and am not sure how to PM you but if you want to answer these via PM i don't mind (providing i can figure out how to read it! lol).

How long were you in surgery for?
Who was your surgeon?
How did you feel when you came round?
Is it true that you don't eat for the first 4 days? If so how was this?
How long were you in hospital for?
Have you had any trouble with hair loss (i've heard this can happen)?
How long were you off work?
Did you receive enough pain relief afterwards?

Sorry to go on, i'll probably think of loads more but don't want to bombard you.

Ta hun

Jules

Zoe,
I'm going to start writing my questions here so I can add to it if you I think of more. I'm useless at this and am not sure how to PM you but if you want to answer these via PM i don't mind (providing i can figure out how to read it! lol).

How long were you in surgery for? 5 hours(this is longer than normal but I had chronic asthma and a team of 12 in theatre)
Who was your surgeon? Mr Gokale...what an exceptional man:D
How did you feel when you came round? Because of my asthma I had a lil difficulty breathing but this was treated straight away.
Is it true that you don't eat for the first 4 days? If so how was this? I was only allowed water the day after but tbh couldn't have faced anything else, I was eating sloppy foods after a couple of days.
How long were you in hospital for?My recovery time was very quick I was discharged from intensive care after 48 hours, straight home one of the quickest discharges for my surgeon.
Have you had any trouble with hair loss (i've heard this can happen)? With any extreme diet you can experience hair loss, I have noticed some but my hair is long and thick so it always looks worse than it is and tbh it hasn't made a difference.
How long were you off work? I was driving after 8 days and luckily was in the process of starting my own business so could stay at home but tbh within a fortnight apart from one blip I was pretty much back to normal.
Did you receive enough pain relief afterwards?The reason I was discharged so quickly was the limited amount of pain relief I had used, its on a drip and you push a button for it however I didn't want to appear like a druggie ha ha therefore used hardly any pain relief at all(mind I think I have a high pain threshold)

Sorry to go on, i'll probably think of loads more but don't want to bombard you.

Ta hun

Jules

I hope I answered them all well enough hunni, I do want to point out that I had an exceptionally easy time of it and its not for everyone but not for one second do I regret having the op.;)

Thanks Zoe,

Thats a great help. I know our cases are quite different, as you had it for your asthma reasons and i'm having it because i've tried everything possible and haven't had any health problems yet, apart from the usual aches and stuff to be expected. I dont want my health to deteriorate and would like to be able to live the rest of my 20's how i want to.

I was reading about it again today on the hospitals website which i'll be at. Its scary to read it and would be so easy to talk yourself out of it but when you think of everything about the weight thats ever got you down, it completely outweights the reasons not to have it done! I've also been trying to convince my family its the right thing and then it dawned on me that i'm an adult and can make my own decisions and don't need them to always agree with me. I'm excited for thursday now, although i know its gonna be a couple of months probably before i get anything done.

Thanks so much for your help, if its ok, if i think of anything else i'll post it on here.

x

Well its my appointment tomorrow night with the surgeon! I'm really looking forward to it now, although i've had quite a bit of bad luck for the last couple of weeks so i hope nothing goes wrong!

I am thinking i should be preparing for this appointment but am not sure how so i am just going to start writing questions down as i think of them in case i forget to ask anything.

Fingers crossed it will all go well x

Good luck for your appointment :hug99:

You have no new messages | Log out [ kandy ]
Hi Jules this is something i posted on a different forum tonight ,i had a gastric bypass 6 wks ago hope this helps if i can be of any help let me know . Good luck with your consultation.
Luv Juliexxx

6 Weeks out the story so far .......

wlsfriends.co.uk Forum Index -> WLS Community (Post-Op)View previous topic :: View next topic AuthorMessagekandy
rank_stars5_1.gif

Op Date: 26/10/2007
Op Status: post op
Op Type: gastric bypass (Lap)
Surgeon: Dr Dillemans
Hospital: ST Jan ,Brugge Belgium Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:30 pm Post subject: 6 Weeks out the story so far ....... Hi All,
Just wanted to share, i am 6 wks out from my RNY on friday and as of today i have lost 3 stone exactly.
It has been a real learning curve and i am still new to all this but things are so much better now than the first few weeks . I feel good, i do suffer with dizziness but nothing unbearable.
Going to the toilet is a little hit and miss.
At times i have wished i didnt have the op but those times are becoming very rare now.
I never feel hungry and often have to remind myself to eat . My scars are healing well and i am doing very strenuous exercise and work and feeling well with it. I have been sick with certain foods but eating slowly chewing properly were the brilliant advice that i was given and that advice has been invaluable.
I am now able to try eating anything but i am taking things slowly i have only tried a few foods other than the soft food diet post op.
I have discovered some foods repulse me which never did before . I am enjoying sprouts at the moment lol and prawns with vinegar and pepper , jacket spud with low fat cheese and flora light ( no skin) veg and gravy.

Hope this may be of some help to pre oppers who are curious. Any suggestions from post oppers for early food choices , what goes down well what doesn't etc would be great.
lotsa luv Kandy xxxBack to top

spacer.gif
Display posts from previous: All Posts1 Day7 Days2 Weeks1 Month3 Months6 Months1 Year Oldest FirstNewest First wlsfriends.co.uk Forum Index -> WLS Community (Post-Op)All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1Stop watching this topic

Jump to: Select a forum WLSfriends----------------A Place To Say HelloWLS Community (Pre-Op)WLS Community (Post-Op)Members ServicesSocial ClubOur ThoughtsThe Boozer!The Kitchen Site Infomation----------------WLSfriends Site News You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum