• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Left Shoulder Pain after eating??

stefletcher28

Hi All

I don't know whether its just me, but I'm at the start of week 3 post-op and just started on mushies.

I don't know if its because I'm eating to quickly or just eating too much but I keep getting nerve pain in my left shoulder after meals or even if I drink a pint of water.

I read somewhere that its this phrenic nerve that possibly causes it and it may be that the tubing from the band to the port is pushing on my diaphragm more when my stomach is fuller which then gives the shoulder pain.

It tends to go about 30-40 mintues after I've eaten and its not crippling pain so its not the end of the world, just wondered if anyone else was experiencing a similar thing.

sometimes I used to get allsorts of odd pain with eating to capacity oddly I get ear pain when im starting a bad heartburn attack. out of interest your not drinking the whole pint of water in one sitting or with or straight after food?

Thanks both, I have always eaten really quickly and thought I had slowed down, obviously not enough. Retraining yourself how to eat after 30 odd years of bad habits is not easy is it? lol

I try and sip the water, but with it being so hot the last few days i have found myself gulping down the liquid instead of sipping which is probably not helping at all.

I'll really try and hold back and slow down and see if that makes a difference.

id def avoid the gulping it down so don't over stretch things I always stick a big load of ice cubes in stops me drinking to fast or I get brain freeze lol after a while it does all become second nature, my bands emptied now but I still eat really slow and if I go out to eat I cant understand how everyone finishes so fast lol

the pain there is typical wind type pain caused by eating too fast and gulping, some providers use a rule such as chew for 30 seconds, wait 30 seconds and then eat another morsel for 30 and eat only for a maximum 20 minutes, use a timer to slow yourself down and it really should help :)

Thanks both, I have always eaten really quickly and thought I had slowed down, obviously not enough. Retraining yourself how to eat after 30 odd years of bad habits is not easy is it? lol

I try and sip the water, but with it being so hot the last few days i have found myself gulping down the liquid instead of sipping which is probably not helping at all.

I'll really try and hold back and slow down and see if that makes a difference.

Try using a straw it might slow you down a bit.

Try using a straw it might slow you down a bit.

Banders are usually advised not to use straws even when on the liquid only stage. This is because it means we take on unwanted air and gas which leads to or worsens the gas pain.

Back