• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Getting the protein in!!!!!

everpositive

Hi everyone,

Dont want to face this and be in denial, but I still seem to want to favour carbs?!?!? Dont get me wrong, I dont tolerate pasta, rice, bread, chips, potatoes too well so cant do too much damage. I can handle baked potatoes and mash and do quite like these.

Never a big meat eater pre op but did like chicken, but again I dont seem to cope with this very well anymore. I do eat bits of fish now and again but its really not my favourite thing. As per the advice, I do try and get the protein element and veggies in first but am concerned I'm not getting enough of this. :confused:

Hi this is Jo - Lizzie's mum - I don't know if you have read the thread I started re her hospital admission, but she has been advised by the hospital dietician she should be having between 90 and 120 grams protein per day.
x jo x

How about beans and pulses, quorn etc they are all high in protein and can be mushed also quorn is available in mince. Also yoghurts, cottage cheese. Hope this helps x

When you say you don't tolerate them how exactly do you mean?

In all honesty, if you're diet is carb heavy and protein light, then that would go a long way towards explaining your plateau.

supplements I guess Can not stomach fortimel anymore and could never finish one when I could lol

It's a learning curve, and at the end of the day you do it because you have to. Thats if you don't want plateaus and muscle loss of course!

In the early days it helps to keep a track of things with a website like Food Focus, and top up with protein shakes as needed. Low carb ones of course.

Research protein rich foods. There is protein in far more than just fish, meat and dairy! Look which veggies contain protein too, so that you are combining a veg portion with a protein portion.

Make your snacks protein rich. Things like cold meats, babybel etc. Do not have carb snacks.

Only have carbs once or twice a day, thats all you need! Make sure they are complex carbs, and use the 2:1 rule, 2 bites protein to 1 bite carbs to make sure you get the right balance.

Look at the most successful people on here, and their weight loss records. They all have one thing in common - they understand the importance of protein and carbs, and eat accordingly. Personally, I've never had a plateau and I know a few others who can say the same. All of us who get the protein thing have offered advice and support frequently on getting the nutrition right, and warned of the dangers of getting sucked into the carb trap early on. It's just a shame no-one listens. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it gets frustrating.

I DO listen and have taken on board lots of what the successful people say but now and again I need a bit of advice sorry if you find it frustrating

I'm sorry too, to have frustrated you Shelbel. As you say it is a learning curve and suppose some of us take longer on that curve than others.

I'm intelligent individual, do listen, and am aware of the advice and guidelines for optimum weight loss following surgery, but its natural I'm sure to struggle and have blips and hurdles.

From my point of view, I havent changed anything from the time when the weight was coming off steadily, which is why I'm bemused. My carb/protein selections are no different to months back.

Thanks for the advice nevertheless Shelbel

its a major lifestyle change and will take some getting used to everyone is different, we are all individual and it takes ppl diff time scales to ajust.

liz x

Hey Claire - - I'm not off purees yet, but pretty sure I'm going to have the same struggles. Someone mentioned to me about protein drinks from health food shops (eg Holland Barrett etc) that body builders use. One of their tasty (and they are!!) protein drinks might be an easy way to up the grammage of protein a day.

Good luck..... I'm going to try it myself... so I'll let you know if you like if it's a goer or a rip off..
yoyo

It does take longer for some over other's, in the early day's, well up to about 5 1/2 months post op.......lol, I had to get my protiens via, cheese, nuts, cheese spreads and milk mostly as I couldnt keep anything else down. Don't ask me why I could eat nut's ok but not keep down fish and meats but I couldnt.
The first 3 month's I didnt even realise that protiens were that important to me, it was only later that I found this out. The Fortimel drinks were awful so I never had those either.

It's all a big learing curve, just do the best you can and constantly keep educating yourself.......... your doing great, WELL DONE !!!

From my point of view, I havent changed anything from the time when the weight was coming off steadily, which is why I'm bemused. My carb/protein selections are no different to months back.

EP, I think I have figured out why you are confused and I will try to explain it. Don't think I am bashing you because I am only trying to help, I think other people may be going through exactly what you are right now.

Here is the important bit, you feel bemused because your diet of months ago gave you steady weight loss but is not working for you now. The problem here is that you were probably always eating too many simple carbs and too little protein. Your body was in shock from surgery and was burning fat stores like mad. Now your body has made a metabolic adjustment and said, right so since you are giving me enough carb fuel to run on, I won't burn this fat anymore. By reducing your carbs and upping your protein you force your body to burn fat because it has to have fuel and protein is not stored as fuel but is burned like it. See, you trick your metabolism into working for you not against you. Your body will adjust over the first few months post-op, so what was once only a little bit of carbs has now become too many. Does that make sense?

Hope I made it clearer for you. If I didn't just shout.

Nic:)

I'm sitting Reading this drinking my morning Protein shake...I get the powder from Holland and Barrett and its Body Fortress Whey Protein Vanilla I dislike the Choc and Banana tastes....it helps me start the day off right and as I'm not a breakfast person it gives me that kick start its very low i carbs etc too

I'm sorry if my post yesterday sounded snappy. We've had a glut of threads over the last few weeks about protein and plateaus.

Nic's right about the early days. You can get away with eating simple carbs and lots of complex carbs in the very early days, which can trick you into thinking it's ok to carry on eating that way. It's what i call the simple carb trap. But with everyone there comes a point where your weight loss stops if you carry on eating that way.

I'm a hormonal monster at the moment, so please ignore me.

In tesco the other day i found some humdinger crispy soy beans they are in the fruit and nut aisle.
they are baked not fried
no trans fatty acids
high in fiber
great source of protien
per 100g
41.3g protien

brilliant as a high protien snack and tasty too

Calories in Humdinger Crispy Soy Beans - Nutrition Facts, and Healthy Alternatives - The Daily Plate Calorie Counter

OOO I am popping in to tesco today will look out for them will make a change from Nuts

Thanx

Someone mentioned the atkins diet...
I might be wrong, but i wouldnt have thought that was a good idea post bypass.

I did the atkins diet last year for about 5 months and lost about 5 stone (i was also exersicing everyday), but i looked so ill! I used to shake and i was so pale - for me it also wasnt sustainable as a life style, and found once i brought carbs back in i put all the weight on and then some!

I don't think following the atkins post bypass would be good cos its not a balanced diet, and you would be cutting out things you need.

A people have said it's just realising your now eating a lot less and filling up on mainly carb products will slow weight loss.

So i guess starting your day with a protein shake is a great thing to do! And something i plan on doing soon as im able :)

carbs are fine, but in moderation, and the type of carbs you have will make a differance.

I don't think anyone is saying you can't have carbs with meals, but it took a while for me to figure out your meal doesnt need to be mainly carbs, a little goes a long way (and i was carb mad... pasta, rice, bread there would be times when that was all that made up my meal, a bowl of pasta and sauce!)

I just hope when im post of ill be lucky and not struggle with things i can eat :)

ps. a lot of low fat things are high in carbs, low fat mayo for example is a lot higher in carbs than full fat mayo! so just have a wee look on the back, if it says low fat on the front, chances are the carbs will have gone up too! :)

.x.

Back