• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Getting the protein in!!!!!

ir0x0rz, you made some excellent points. The atkins diet is not a) sustainable as a lifestyle or b) a great choice for post-bypass. The atkins diet, which that is what it is so it is doomed to fail, advocates exclusion of certain foods and an emphasis on fat. If I have given the impression that a no-carb diet is my choice, I have been misunderstood. What I advocate is carb control, not carb elimination. All good things in moderation. And also, pick your carbs for their nutrition value not as filler, which in truth is how most people use carbs, I know I always had to 'round' out my meal with simple carbs or I felt something was missing.

Great tip about the carbs in low-fat products, you do have to be careful. sugar-free products often have added fat and low-fat product often have high sugar. Truth is we should all pay attention to labels because food manufacturers are tricky. They slip bad stuff into your good stuff all the time. What gets me is the diversity between two brands of the same product. Red pasta sauce is a biggy, some are loaded with added sugar, others are full of fat. Be educated about your food is what I guess I am saying, it is such an important part of changing your lifestyle post-op. And that is the real goal, right? Change your lifestyle so that you never, ever have to go on a diet again.

Nic;););)

I'm sorry if my post yesterday sounded snappy. We've had a glut of threads over the last few weeks about protein and plateaus.

Nic's right about the early days. You can get away with eating simple carbs and lots of complex carbs in the very early days, which can trick you into thinking it's ok to carry on eating that way. It's what i call the simple carb trap. But with everyone there comes a point where your weight loss stops if you carry on eating that way.

I'm a hormonal monster at the moment, so please ignore me.

Nah, I always enjoy your posts because you don't wrap it up in cotton wool. Keep 'em coming. :hug99:

In tesco the other day i found some humdinger crispy soy beans they are in the fruit and nut aisle.
they are baked not fried
no trans fatty acids
high in fiber
great source of protien
per 100g
41.3g protien

brilliant as a high protien snack and tasty too

Calories in Humdinger Crispy Soy Beans - Nutrition Facts, and Healthy Alternatives - The Daily Plate Calorie Counter

Well I got the last 3 bags from my local tesco 49p a bag instead of 99p, and well they are yummy taste / texture bit like a salted peanut

Thanx for the tip

oh pants, not sure if we have a tesco too close, will have to do an internet shop from tesco online and order plenty in!!

Def gonna give them a shot x x x

[QUOTE All of us who get the protein thing have offered advice and support frequently on getting the nutrition right, and warned of the dangers of getting sucked into the carb trap early on. It's just a shame no-one listens. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it gets frustrating.[/QUOTE]

ooh Shel - your starting to sound like me, you rock n roller you :D

:eek:

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I managed to get 63.8g of protein yesterday with out taking supplements, and 43g the day before so its getting better will try to keep it up

Teen, that is great hun! Good for you. It can be done without supplements and you are making it work. It is just easier for most to get 80g in every day with the help of supplements.

Good job,
Nic:D:D:D

Hi teen i only use suppliments on the days where im not able to get my full quota. It does get easier as it just becomes part of your daily routien and before long you will be doing it without even thinking.
i have always loved skinny lattes so even on days where im away from home i top up with them along the way just to keep my protien topped up.
take care
hc

Wish I like milky drinks I dont like coffee at all and I like my tea strong not milky, but I don't mind a very cold glass of fresh semi skimmed milk not the uht stuff though thats minging

Carole the Soy beans sounded good I am trying to pick up all those little tips before I have my op so I am more updated by that time on what to eat etc
I also used to bake Chick peas in the oven with a sprinkling of salt, you could add curry or other spices too if you wished, and they were lovely too I think they would also be a high source of protein

Love Jay xx

Please dont feel you need to apologise Shelbel. Thanks for the advice as ever, you too Phatgirl!!! :D

Carole the Soy beans sounded good I am trying to pick up all those little tips before I have my op so I am more updated by that time on what to eat etc
I also used to bake Chick peas in the oven with a sprinkling of salt, you could add curry or other spices too if you wished, and they were lovely too I think they would also be a high source of protein

Love Jay xx

MMM do you use tinned chick peas for that and how long in the oven

Thanx

Chickpeas, cooked 1 tin

Red chili powder as per your taste

Garlic powder if you like it

Salt as per your taste
Preheat oven at 425F for 15 minutes.
If using canned chickpea, open the can, drain it in a colander, rinse it with water. Dab the chickpeas with a clean kitchen towel or paper towel. Don’t wipe it dry, little moisture is recommended so that the seasonings stick to the chickpeas.
3 Transfer the chickpeas to a large baking sheet and add the chili powder and garlic powder. I did not use salt because I was using canned chickpeas which has salt in it already. I also read in another place that adding salt initially will not quicken the process of roasting because it will release moisture. So add it after roasting or better cook the chickpeas with little salt if you are not using the canned ones.
4 Leave it in the oven for 35-38 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. If you want crunchy chickpeas roast it for 38 minutes. My husband likes the crunchy-chewy texture, so 35 minutes was perfect. SO I took out some after 35 minutes and roasted the balance for another 3-4 minutes. Again keep in mind that oven temperatures vary, so check yours around 35 minutes first and then decide either to roast it further or not.
5 After 35 or 38 minutes, switch off the oven and leave the baking tray in the oven itself for another 10 minutes.
6 Fat free, guilt free roasted chickpeas are ready to be snacked on. It was so crunchy and addictive. We couldn’t stop nibbling on. Anyhow I managed to save some for the next day to see if it remained crunchy even then. I stored them in a closed container and left it on the counter. The crunchy ones were perfect the next day too, but the chewy-crunchy ones were bit difficult to chew.

I am defo gonna have a go with them I have some cyjan spices in will try it with them

great ideas
does anyone know where you can get an online list of protein counts in food xxxx

Back