• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Getting to know you

positive future

Hi I am the mum of a 17 year old daughter who is in need of surgery. Currently our PCT has refused to refer her twice due to her age, they do not adhere to NICE guidelines but write their own policy. Not uncommon i am sure. She currently sees a dieticia fortnightly who is trying to prepare her for a possible referral this summer when she reaches 18. I would love to have the chance to meet any youngish (late teens early 20's) female who has had surgery. I think this would really help encourage my daughter. Thanks.

I am older than u want at 28 and my surgery is on th 13 march, but welcome anyway

Hiya and welcome, I've seen a few early 20's on this site I'm sure they wud be more help than me good luck xx

Hello and welcome I'm 22 and was referred in November I'm still pre op but would be glad to help your daughter go through her journey xxx

Sent from my HTC Hero using WLSurgery

welcome to the site, im sure soeone will be along soon who can help you, good luck :) xxx

Hi welcome to the forum..im 40.. so a bit old!! but we are all here t help and give as much support as we can. This is a good place to come as your daughter can ask all the questions she needs to ask etc. It doesnt matter about age we are all going through and have gone through the same xxx good luck hun xxx

Hi, Im 26 so Again a bit old, I was referred when I was 24 but rejected as my BMI is under 50. Im still trying to find a way to get Surgery, perhaps moving so I cant really help you with that side of things I'm sorry.

I just wanted to say welcome and what a great mum you are! a lot of support is required for this and the fact your here and asking for advice is amazing, your daughter is very lucky to have such a caring and understanding mum :)

I am 43 but I wish I had been referred YEARS ago and given my life back years ago -- the chance to enjoy my 20's and 30's and not just hide away due to my size. The chance to date and marry and have children -- I avoided all these things due to my hatred of my size and lack of self confidence. I will be (very nearly) 44 when I have the op and 45 by the time I reach goal weight ..... I do not foresee (meeting a man) and *then*having a miracle baby at age 47 or 48 as likely to happen, so I am 99% certain motherhood is not something that is not going to happen for me now.

What I am trying to say is: FIGHT for your daughter now so that she can enjoy her life and enjoy her 20's and 30's !!!

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Last edited:
Hi again Positive Future,

I tried to PM (direct message) you these links instead of posting them openly, but because you are such a new member the PM (private message) facility is not yet an option.

I am concerned some people might not approve of the ages of the patients in some of these video clips, but I was trying to find some positive stories or video clips of teenagers having had bariatric surgery:

Mother and Daughter Gastric Sleeve Before and After - YouTube (15 years old)

17 Year Old 3 Months After Mini-Gastric Bypass - YouTube (17 years old)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XEPAIGlJqw&list=UUsGxGkr2nD26E5_pm5PJyNA&index=4&feature=plcp
(12 years old) **

** This girl (Betsy) is the niece of the surgeon (Dr Alvarez) in this clip.

Obviously those patients (under 18) all had their ops paid for privately ...... but it changed their lives -- fingers crossed the NHS will give your daughter the go ahead when she turns 18 to change her life.

Best wishes.

Hi, Sharonimo
it's never too late, my friend's just met the man of her
dreams and she's 60 this year, kids are unlikely for her
but you are still young, pma
jane :) xx

Hi, Sharonimo
it's never too late, my friend's just met the man of her dreams and she's 60 this year, kids are unlikely for her but you are still young, pma
jane :) xx

Young at pushing 45 ...? Hmmmm :rolleyes:

I was referring more to the "miracle baby" at 48 not being very likely rather than the meeting a man thing ...... I am hoping that meeting a man friend might be a distinct possibility, but it is likely to be a man in his 50's who will have been previously married, have children already and not really be looking to do night feeds again.

I'm just trying to be realistic and pragmatic.

e85e0d1a.gif
e61a3eba.jpg

Wow thank you everybody for your comments nice to be here where people understand. Need to have a chat with my daughter and possibly make contact with some of you meanwhile anyone post surgery and late teens early 20's would be great to hear from you.

positive future said:
Toni we live in Lincolnshire.

I live in west yorkshire ... I'm always here if you and you daughter need anything xxx

Sent from my HTC Hero using WLSurgery

Good luck to you and your daughter xx the one thing i would say is do whatever they ask of you and her even if it seems to be a long process and that isn't age related but they won't fund if she doesn't prove she's willing to jump through all their hoops :)

Back