• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Getting to know you

i don't know i'm sorry i had nhs , but there are loads of people who have gone private so they will be able to help :) xx good luck

What kind of hoops didyou have to go through. currently she is seeing a dietician fortnightly and she has been told that she needs to loose 10% pre a referral and 10% before surgery. i have seen the criteria for our area and there are many other additions to just NICE guidelines.

well the dietician is a very important part and i had to have tried orlistat and other weight loss aids prescribed by the doctor for 6 months and prove they didn't work ? i also had type 2 diabetes and sleep apnoea she may need to have a sleep study test ( does she snore very deeply ?) she must attend every appt given, her dietician should be able to give her the criteria they want but as i said i was turned down twice but never gave up xx

A sleep study was done and prooved thta she has mild sleep apnea. she currently has been turned dowm on age as she is not yet 18. We have over many years tried lots of diets etc and her BMI is over 50.

i really think she will be funded after what you've said xx a few more months of trying and tests and putting up with dietician etc will all be worth it :)

I am a little concerned having read some of your posts. Why are you posting and not your daughter? I'm not trying to be horrible, but any weightloss surgery requires a lifetime commitment in order to be effective. I can tell you want the best for your daughter and I am sure she appreciates your support and love. However, I have to ask - does *she* really understand what's involved? Is she ready for this? I apologise if it offends but if she is not on board she could end up heavier, or ill.

My reason for going on here was to meet people who had been where my daughter is and had come through the other side post surgery. I hoped that eventually we could meet up with somebody. My daughter knows no one else with the issues and life experiences she has. She dosn't know everything that surgery entails how could she as under the NHS she cannot see a surgeon until she has made many changes herself (vicious circle) I make no apolgies for being pro active on her behalf. The only reason she sees a dietician (who also works with bariatric patients preparing thm for surgery) is because i made a formal complaint against my PCT. I also have received advice and support from several bariatric consultants who have said that surgery is the way forward. My daughter will join something like this when she is ready. And no surgeon is going to operate before she is ready that is there job to ascertain her readiness for surgery.

She could by researching herself. As I have said I am not trying to slight you or your commitment to your daughter. I am just asking if she is really in a position to make a success of this surgery. If you are happy that she is I wish you the best of luck.

i believe there is nothing wrong with a caring protective mum wanting to know what her daughter is asking for herself, it is a lifetime commitment from ALL the family especially when the very young are involved, if she is not an outgoing wordly wise girl then maybe she is too worried about putting herself forward on here and mum is testing the waters :) ( i would do the same thing ) i'm sure in time mum will ask her daughter to have a look and see what it's all about and what a nice bunch of caring helpful people we are on here :) shame there's not so many the same age but hopefully someone will come on here for her x

We are not having surgery yet so of course she isn't ready. And yes she has done some research.

Bless her and I commend your level of committment, it must be heartbreaking to have to watch your child suffering!!!
I hope she comes on there soon, there are a couple of younger members Toni is only 22 and Hesh is round about the same age, if she manages to get up the courage to do 1 post & just say Hi, I am positive she would feel benefits :) I'm too old at 41 but I can certainly shown empathy towards your unconditional love - best of luck love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you ladies much appreciated. i am not trying to be an overbearing mother but yes you are right i am testing the waters. My daughter has had many disappointments in life with people and has lost confidence. I really hope she wants to come on here sometime but she will do it when she is ready.

definitely not overbearing :) i haven't had a mother since i was 8 yrs old so i tend to be protective of my kids especially my youngest son who has health problems x so i would do it exactly the same as you are xx

What kind of hoops didyou have to go through. currently she is seeing a dietician fortnightly and she has been told that she needs to loose 10% pre a referral and 10% before surgery. i have seen the criteria for our area and there are many other additions to just NICE guidelines.

Is she under Jemma at PCH, if so I work alongside Jemma at her Bariatric Seminars, it might be worth your daughter coming on a seminar, to see about life after surgery, because its al about mindset as well. WLS is only a aid, and it needs to be worked at every day.

However if it can be worked on, then the results are mind blowing.

Thanks Gary

Am sure the opportunity will come for things like that we are new to all of this and yes i really understand it is only an aid. Thanks for posting.

Back