• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Glucose tolerence tests

jaynefrances

I got a letter from my GP today asking me to make an appointment to have the glucose tolerence tests, which involve drinking a bottle of full sugar lucozade.
I'm really concerned that i will dump if i drink it and i'll have to shake it to death to get the fizz out of it !
Has anyone else had to have the test post op and is there an alternative ?

I haven't had one post op but you should phone them and mention that because you have had a bypass your body deals with sugar in a different way to pre op and that may cause a false reading and also that you can't have fizzy drinks and the risk of dumping syndrome there is an alternative to the fizzy one but don't know how you'd het round the dumoing issue

I read about this on another forum. There is another test you can have. You mustn't do the glucose test as you are very likely to dump, even if you havent before...

I'll try and find out what the alternative is and post again.

OK, I have re-read the stuff on glucose tolerance testing post RNY, and your GP should know that this test isnt suitable for you for several reasons, you cant tolerate glucose (sugar), you cant tolerate fizzy liquids, and your body processes sugar differently post bypass so any reading they get is going to be meaningless.

They can do a fasting blood test, and and urine test to check for diabetes. You will have to insist that these tests are done instead.

I had this when i was pregnant both times and there is no way you could tolerate post op. Its usually a pint of lucozade they give you to drink and i'm sure you would dump pretty quickly. As Sam says they can do a fasting blood test in its place. Good luck hope you get it sorted xx

Lol Lesley. I was a bit gutted when i got the letter. When i've had the tests in the past i hated them as i can't stand lucozade, never mind trying to drink it now !
Will speak to the doc tomorrow. I'm the first one from our GP practice to have the op, so they are learning along the way too.

Back