• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Got a date...for my bypass op!!!

FatGirlsDoDiet

Hi all- I had my pre op appointment on yesterday and have been given a date for the op.
22nd February 2011!!!
:bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss:

Now I need your help
- how do I keep up with pre op diet? The amount of food is soooooo small and I have to do it for 3-4 weeks!
- any tips/ suggestions/ recepies
- what do I need for when I go in? any tips?
- how long will I be "out of action"- do you stay in bed, can you get back to work, how soon?
- any post op tips with food?

anything else? Thanks all - I don't think I would have done it without all of your help!

Sorry can't help with your questions. Really glad you got your date and it's so soon. You must be so excited.

I have my pre-op tomorrow and hope to get a nice quick date as well.

Can I ask, did you choose bypass or was it recommended by the surgeon? Was just wondering how much input we get ourselves.

Congratulations on your date.
So many questions there!
Re: the pre-op diet, stick to it like glue! Be creative with your recipes. Drink loads of fluids (of the no calorie variety) and regard it as the last diet you'll ever go on. Success is all in the head with this one.

There's lots of threads on here about what people take in, but basically, nightwear, slippers, toiletries, tissues, NAS squash, sanitary protection (most ladies have a TOTM after surgery), Boots dry mouth spray and something to keep you entertained: ipod, puzzle book, mags etc.

In hospital they like to get you up asap after surgery to prevent blood clots and chest infections. Most people come home after 3 or 4 days, some sooner, some have to stay a bit longer.

Once home, you need loads of rest but also try to keep gently active. It helps to prevent blood clots and also with the dreaded post-op wind.
It varies about how long after surgery people go back to work. I think a month off is about average?
Anything else you need to know, ask, and do lots of reading on the forum too. There's a wealth of experience on here.
Grace xxx

hey cant answer ya questions as im pre op tooo, but wha hooooooo on getting ya date - thats fantastic - its all go now! GOOD LUCK! X

Fantastic news on getting your date :D Congratulations....Grace has pretty much answered your questions and I totally agree about the pre-op. What kept me on the straight and narrow was the vision of waking up after surgery and them telling me they couldnt do the bypass as my liver was too big :eek: Every time I wavered I thought of that :D XX

Sorry can't help with your questions. Really glad you got your date and it's so soon. You must be so excited.

I have my pre-op tomorrow and hope to get a nice quick date as well.

Can I ask, did you choose bypass or was it recommended by the surgeon? Was just wondering how much input we get ourselves.

Mr Sufi asked me what I would like- I think it also depends on your condition/ other problems etc. but I have opted for bypass as I think that is better for me. Good luck!

Thank you all- it is really helpful-I just want to be ready as asking my fiancée to go and rummage through cupboards/ draws/ shops will drive me mad! Thanks again xxx

Wooohooo - how exciting that you have your date already :) - good luck!

I am afraid the only question I can help with is your pre-op diet - mainly because I am going through it myself at the mo - definitely try and stick to it religiously, it will be worth it in the end and you will probably start to love it when the weight starts falling off before the op - I have lost just over 11 lbs! :)

If you are ever feeling weak then try and make yourself busy - or log on here and post - that has helped me......

xx

Back