• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gp visit

iainrenicks

further to my post under "i need help"
i saw my gp this evening i went in armed to the hilt with as much info as i could get off the commputermebob
and he is refering me to someone at the local hosp who deals with us fat folkies

the ball is officially rolling
fingers crossed:cool:

good luck and hope you hear soon from the hospital x

great news your a little closer to surgery x

Super news for you! It will soon fly by for you!
Good luck on your journey.

referal ???

I have been refered to a weight management team
is this normal procedure ???

any tips on how to handle it ??

i haven't been weighted in years and i feel
if i go to this consultation i am going to be on even more of a downer when i do find out what weight i am.

Don't worry! The way to bariatric surgery is usually through Weight Management. You don't need any tips on how to handle it - just be yourself. They will weigh you and measure you (height) and chat to you and ask you a few questions. They will probs want to know what you've done to try to shift the weight - which diets, slimming pills etc. You need to have tried pretty much everything before they will agree to surgery. I hope you get a date soon, good luck. Marion xx

hi ian its not normal proceedure for all areas, your area must want you to try this course before resorting to wls, it may be helpfull to you but it does throw a spanner in the works regarding getting closer to seeing the surgeon.

hi Iain
well done you have made the all important start to the slimmer you weight loss management is the norm for some pct,s some are 12 months some six some less mine was 12 months but believe me it has flown by you must attend the as it necessary to get funding it no big deal truly every thing will be explained to you so go get it sorted boy you weigh what you weigh and it can only get better for you from here on in keep positive about all this and remember why your going through with this and the end goal is so worth it ask any on here who had it done already and waiting for there opp
all the best Iain
regards Rambo

Hi Iain,
Welcome
where about do you live?
I've done 12 months of weight management . I get weight every few weeks have my blood pressure done and talk to one of the team about what I've been eating ,how i'm feeling and what excercise i've done. No problems :D

dumfries and galloway pct

anyone had expierience of my area pct
got an appointment for 2/9

getting a bit shaky now , I don;t care much for medics and dietitians especially a lot of bad vibes when i was younger and having doubts about telling folk what i am doing .
told the wife and she's right with me on it
but my mother and brother may be a problem

Last edited:
Well done in taking that first step you are on your way !:)

I have been refered to a weight management team
is this normal procedure ???

any tips on how to handle it ??

i haven't been weighted in years and i feel
if i go to this consultation i am going to be on even more of a downer when i do find out what weight i am.

Hi Ian and well done on taking the first step. Each pct has different criteria and different ways for wls.
Some refer you to a weight management clinic and u have to be with them for a period of time, usually trying diff wl drugs like reductil and xenical and then the next step is referral to the wls team and some just refer you straight.
Soz i dont know anything bout ur pct, but am sure if post on here there should be others who could help you, if you want to find out their criteria for wls you can look on the Bospa site it is a very good informative site with lots of info but has a list with the majority of the pct`s and their criteria for wls.
I can understand how you are feeling but finding out your weight and taking the fist steps will make you feel better as u will feel that you will eventually be getting surgery and ur weight will be coming down, so there will be light nd the end of the tunnel for you.
If you want to prepare yourself for the clinic you could get yourself weighed first maybe in boots or somewhere that prints our your weight.
I at 27 stone used to go to my local chemist as they had a machine that prints out ur bmi and weight and would weigh myself there every week.
At the end of the day the support of your family is def a help and thats fab ur wife is supportive, not every one agrees with wls and that is their prerogative but they are not living in our shoes and its not an easy life being so overweight and ur weight controlling our lives and wls is not an easy option but a last resource and a fab tool to help us finally take control of our life and weight, a lot of people just hear the negative things on tv and in the papers bout wls maybe you could show them our site and all the positive things about wls and how it has changed so many peoples lives and saved them 100% maybe that would help them possibly change their mind.
Hope the journey is a smooth journey for you, take care xx

BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association

Last edited:
Back