• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Grief when loosing a pet.

fjsinc

I'm so sad and upset, my beloved cat Tommy is in end stage Renal failure. He's been at the vets for four nights on IV fluids. Its has had no effect. I just want him home now, so my husband and I can look after him. I hate the idea he's sitting a cage all alone. He has been our constant companion for 8 years, and he really is my baby.

Awww ? so sorry, it's heartbreaking to lose them. I too have a poorly cat, she is 10 and has been blind for 3 years she had a bad reaction to anaesthetic that caused her to fit. She has a lump under her front leg that's growing fast and her teeth are getting bad... The vet won't put her under again so soon as she shows signs of discomfort iv got to say goodbye. My heart goes out to you at this sad time x

Big hugs hun :( Thinking of you guys at this sad time.

Feel for both of you at this very sad time... Sending hugs and love:hug99:

(((((Hugs)))))) Fiona .. Thinking of you & Tommy x

It's so devastating to lose a pet. Both my cats are very young (one is still a kitten), but I cannot imagine being without them.

I'm glad you're bringing him home, I would hate leaving my pet in a cage alone too.

Be brave, and remember you're doing the kindest thing for them.

My thoughts and best wishes are with you and Tommy, he'll be grateful you're there when the time comes.

Thank you all, I needed to let my grief out a bit. I insisted on him coming home as the treatment just isn't working. He still has a fair amount of energy and quality of life, so we have a little time to enjoy him and spoil him, before we have to make that inevitable decision.

its so hard making the choice between losing your pet and there quality of life, my cat had epilepsy the meds just got less and less effective resulting in daily fits which were very full on plus rest of day she slept because the meds made her sleepy eventually I had to decide it was time hardest thing iv ever had to do so heartbreaking , so big hugs you enjoy as much time as you can with them xx

I have 4 Chihuahuas and cannot imagine life without them ..So I am very sorry for your beloved pet :/

Really sad today. Yesterday we had to say goodbye to Jaffa our 18 year old cat. Woke up yesterday to find her with her head on one side, disorientated. Vet did some tests, turned out she had a stroke due to overactive thyroid. Gave us options but recommended euthanasia. So so sad. Did it there and then , my husband and I were with her. 10 year old daughter devastated, and can't seem to pick myself up. Comfort eating not an option any more. Don't want to depress anyone but needed to let it out :cry:

So sad to hear about your poor girl. 18 years is a grand old age for a cat though, and I'm sure she appreciated 18 years of love and happiness with your family.

I wish our pets could live forever but they don't, and you were very brave and did the kindest thing.

RIP Jaffa xx

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.
For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

RainbowBridge-cats-dogs.jpg

I am so sorry your loss Sarah, I know how heart breaking it is...take some comfort in knowing it is a credit to you and your family that Jaffa had such a long life because you all looked after her so well and that she was truly loved.

Thinking of you:hug99:

Thank you so much for your kind comments it means a lot. Been looking through photographs of her in her younger days and laughing at her antics. xxx

My heart goes out to you.

I'm so sorry to hear about your little cat. Losing a pet is terrible. My cat Felix died at home 6 years ago and I still haven't got over it. He's my screensaver on my phone and I still think of him every day. Sending you a big welsh cwtch xxx

Thinking of you all. My dog is my life. I'm so passionate about her care and my commitment to her. She is with my at all times and if I ever let myself imagine my life without her I come out in cold sweet. It's so sad when we have to do the final, bravest and best thing for our animals. I still think of my cat I had before my dog all the time and still miss her greatly. I will say Fiona, you with know when it is time, he will let you know. I can hope having worked in animal nursing and been present (unfortunately) many, many times, I can tell you it will be very peaceful and respectful. We are here for you xx

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. We have lost 3 cats before all tough times. But somehow it's harder this time. Not sure why. Going to struggle at work tomorrow. Fiona am thinking of you too it's such a tough decision to make. Xx

Back