• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Guys Hospital bariatric surgery clinic referal

L Marcelle

Hi, i was hoping someone will be able to help me with my query. I saw my gp last week about getting a referal for bariactric surgery. I received a letter in the post from the Bariatric surgery clinic and guys hospital. They said someone will contact me within 14 days with an appointment date.

Does this mean I'm being considered for surgery?

My bmi is 50. I also have an underactive thyroid and sarcoidosis (an autoimmune disease).

Hello and welcome!

It means you are on a journey and it may be a long one too. Each hospital has different processes and I have no idea what that is at your hospital but it does sound like you might be a candidate.

It could be at first that you are seen by the team and given some dietary advice and maybe a target weight loss?

Sorry I can't be of more help but I'm sure it will all become clearer when you get to that appointment.

Let us know when you get the appointment date and good luck!

Unless things have changed recently, Guys & St Thomas work together with King's College hospital. So the pre-work (dietitians etc) would be with Guys & St Thomas, but the actual surgery at King's.

Guy's also has a gastric balloon program under Dr Oben, so some people get sent to see him first. Given your bmi, thyroid problem etc I would assume it is the surgical pathway you will end up with from the start though.

Hi, I'm with Kings College Hospital and had my first appointment with the bariatric nurses in April and was told I will have to do 6 months of tier 3, there will be no funding given without it. My bmi at the time was 61. I have been a waiting list to START tier 3 locally ever since. Seems it takes at least a year and a half to get anywhere.

I'm at GSTT.

Got referred in August 2015.
Did an intake consultation with the dietician a few months later.
Attended a group info session another few months later.
Saw the dietician again to discuss how to proceed (September 2016.) As things were left open ended at that point (they wanted to see how I was getting on without surgery), I wasn't immediately put forward for an MDT.

I called them about a month ago to request an MDT and got an August date.
I was told that's when the surgeon will decide whether they will offer me surgery.

Hope this helps.

Hi I went to my gp in March 2016 and have been attending Luton and zdunstable hospital since June 2016. I had my pre op yesterday and have a date for gastric bypass on 19 September. I had to do tier 3 for 6 months as my BMI was over 50, under that it is tier 3 for a year so it takes 6 months longer. Good luck with your journey xxx

Tha
Hi, I'm with Kings College Hospital and had my first appointment with the bariatric nurses in April and was told I will have to do 6 months of tier 3, there will be no funding given without it. My bmi at the time was 61. I have been a waiting list to START tier 3 locally ever since. Seems it takes at least a year and a half to get anywhere.
Thats a really long wait to start tier 3. I spoke to the drs secretary and was told that i should call them after my sleep study is done to book my MDT appointment because nothing is mentioned about tier 3 appointments. My sleep study is 1st week of october. So im hoping it wont be too long after that appointment that i'll be seen. Im just being very strict on myself so i dont gain any weight.

I'm at GSTT.

Got referred in August 2015.
Did an intake consultation with the dietician a few months later.
Attended a group info session another few months later.
Saw the dietician again to discuss how to proceed (September 2016.) As things were left open ended at that point (they wanted to see how I was getting on without surgery), I wasn't immediately put forward for an MDT.

I called them about a month ago to request an MDT and got an August date.
I was told that's when the surgeon will decide whether they will offer me surgery.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for sharing. How did your MDT appointment go?

Hi I went to my gp in March 2016 and have been attending Luton and zdunstable hospital since June 2016. I had my pre op yesterday and have a date for gastric bypass on 19 September. I had to do tier 3 for 6 months as my BMI was over 50, under that it is tier 3 for a year so it takes 6 months longer. Good luck with your journey xxx
Thanks. Hope all goes well for you on the 19th ☺

Back