• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gym workout with a band

Crazy Lady

After having my emergency de-fill last month and going away on a 2 week all inclusive holiday my weight is back to where it was before my last fill. Shouldn't really complain but have bitten the bullet found myself a personal trainer and gone back to the gym for the first time since my surgery. Had the first session yesterday then worked a night shift and found I seized up overnight still aching really badly tonight. Anyway, the trainer has asked if there is any areas I shouldn't work on with the band. Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm not due for another fill for 2 weeks so can't ask advise from my provider until then.
Thanks
Crazy Lady

Well done you! You've had your band for a while now so I would say you should be ok with most things - as long as they don't hurt that is!

Have a look through your post op paperwork or give them a call to be on the safe side though x

Please be aware that sit ups and ab crunches can cause issues. Im now 6 1/2 months post op, but as I've lost more weight I find that it can aggravate my port area. When I discussed this with my provider initially (I had to go at about 8 weeks post surgery due to pain from - we realised it was due to using a machine which is like doing sit ups) they told me I should avoid them for at least 12 weeks. However, when I spoke with them at length it came about that the main man at my provider actually suggests avoiding sit ups/ab crunches when you have a band as it can cause problems. I find that if I use the machine (and I've tried again recently) that it makes the port area very tender to touch and is actually quite sore.

They did warn me that it could be that way and said to avoid them if at all possible - having tried it after a long break, I will be avoiding it in the future. I do waist bends which I find doesn't aggravate it, the sit up approach does.

Thanks Mazza and Top Kat. I will bear that in mind. The thing is my port is quite prominent under my skin. It's easy to see it when I'm undressed as it protrudes through below my sternum and slightly to the left below my ribs. Would this be an issue do you think? Plus when I went to the local bariatric dept for an emergency and IV fluids the registrar couldn't get the huber needle in as said the port was twisted. The surgeon came along and said it was twisted superiorly but managed to get into it on the third attempt. Would exercise make this worse, do you think or should I just avoid all abs work until I ask the nurse on the 27th?
Dilemma's

if you have a twisted port I would be avoiding ab exercises even more so. Mine has moved with my weight loss and I can now really feel it, but I feel since doing the sit ups etc recently that it's twisted and it is quite tender at the moment. Having had an emergency defill and knowing its twisted, I would be avoiding anything which may affect It further until you've seen the nurse to make sure

Back