• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

feel like a failure with my band :(

halve me

hiya all not been on much as got a new little friend who is keeping me busy! Princess Daisy our 12 week old shihtzu!!
anyway enough of the dog..... i feel such a failure :cry: i had my band done just over 8 weeks ago, i had a great restriction straight away and felt great even though the weight wasnt going. i had my first fill done 2 weeks ago after starting to feel my restriction was less and found the first few days great. i took things easy and did as i was told and what the advice sheets said i should be doing but now i have virtually no restriction, i feel hungry a lot and can eat more than i should be doing, i am really trying not to overeat and eat things i shouldnt and the dog is keeping me very busy, i am moving around more than i used to. but it is really getting to me as i have now put on 4lbs over the last 2 weeks. :sigh:
i rung the hospital and talked it through with the nurse (who didnt really help at all) she told me to 'work' with my band - as i have been doing (and this woman has never met me and doesnt know how i have done up til this point) i have now got a band fill booked for 7th july which will be 4 weeks after my first and 10 weeks after my op. i am so frightened that this isnt working for me and now wish i had been brave enough to have had the bypass :confused: it now means i have only lost 8lbs since my op- i know it is a pound a week and shouldnt moan... but i feel a failure with the gain. thanks for listening to my moan! xx

I am so sorry. Could you call your consultant's secretary and explain what is going on and see if they can help?

Dont be so hard on yourself, I know you must be disappointed gaining, but you have lost 8lbs, and I am sure once you get your restriction right you will feel better, and not feel so hungry.
I havent had my op yet, but am sure someone who has had band will be able to reassure you more.
I am sure there are others who have had hiccups to start with, but chin up it will all work out fine.

Jay xx

hi halve me, you are not a failure it just sounds like there isnt enough restriction there, another fill should help with this, whay size band do you have and how much fill is in it now ? what kinds of foods are you eating, maybe try more dense foods such as a slice of toast with baked beans on as some thing like this should be more satisfying at meal times and make you fuller quicker. please try not to worry as what your experiencing now is quite common and its usually just a matter of getting the fill levels correct.

liz x

I agree with Liz, it's early days, you have only really just fully healed from the operation.

It takes quite a bit of tinkering to get really good restriction. I have had four fills and I think I am there, but between this fill and last one over a month ago, I didn't loose anything - nada!

So try not to worry, once you have good restriction, you can work better with the band.

Keep getting the fills and you will get there ;)

Since last fill, last week, I have dropped 2kg....

I had three fills before they got me right Huni, so dont panic...I had my band fitted over a year ago now and have lost 5.5 stones...yes, I have taken it slowly, but I think Im doing well.
You will get there, so dont feel sad.

x

Hi hun, it just sounds like you don't have enough restriction in the band. I was told to book my first 2 fills 2 weeks apart as they don't put too much in in the first fill. Why don't you phone back up and ask them to bring it forward a week?

You are doing really well, once you get the restriction you need you will find that the weight will come off.

Remember, low calorie diet, small portions and exercise are the key. The band only gives us the restriction the rest is down to us.

hi halve me, you are not a failure it just sounds like there isnt enough restriction there, another fill should help with this, whay size band do you have and how much fill is in it now ? what kinds of foods are you eating, maybe try more dense foods such as a slice of toast with baked beans on as some thing like this should be more satisfying at meal times and make you fuller quicker. please try not to worry as what your experiencing now is quite common and its usually just a matter of getting the fill levels correct.

liz x
hi liz and thanks for the reassurance i was hoping you would see the thread! i have 5mls in a 11ml band. i am trying to eat more dense foods in a hope that i will feel more full and have increased the protein intake for the same reason. thanks for the reassurance i just hate the fact that i have put weight on when i was so close to getting into the next half stone bracket :mad: my next fill is less than 2 weeks away so fingers crossed it will help. xx

I agree with Liz, it's early days, you have only really just fully healed from the operation.

It takes quite a bit of tinkering to get really good restriction. I have had four fills and I think I am there, but between this fill and last one over a month ago, I didn't loose anything - nada!

So try not to worry, once you have good restriction, you can work better with the band.

Keep getting the fills and you will get there ;)

Since last fill, last week, I have dropped 2kg....
hi and also thanks for the reassurance i now know im not going mad!! like you say i must remember i have only just healed and my body is still getting used to things. i cant wait to get the god restriction and get back to being a looser!! your loss since your fill is excellent:happy096: xx

I had three fills before they got me right Huni, so dont panic...I had my band fitted over a year ago now and have lost 5.5 stones...yes, I have taken it slowly, but I think Im doing well.
You will get there, so dont feel sad.

x

wow your loss in a year is excellent!!! :D thank you for the words of encouragement its great to know im not alone. xx

Hi hun, it just sounds like you don't have enough restriction in the band. I was told to book my first 2 fills 2 weeks apart as they don't put too much in in the first fill. Why don't you phone back up and ask them to bring it forward a week?

You are doing really well, once you get the restriction you need you will find that the weight will come off.

Remember, low calorie diet, small portions and exercise are the key. The band only gives us the restriction the rest is down to us.

the two appointments so close is in interesting, and would have suited me! i have rung and asked them for the first available appointment which was the 7th :rolleyes: so i will just have to carry on working with my band as well as i can like you say low cal and small portion but its not easy when you still feel like you could eat a house!!! thanks :) xx

Hi your band should be ok after your next fill hun and your wee dog sound lovely . Good luck and take care .
Margaret xx
thanks margaret :) i have just added her piccy to my profile pic, fingers crossed you should see her! x

as everyone has said its totally normal to feel this way the first few months are the hardest it took 3 fills for me to have restriction on 4th i got it spot on this has now worn off so getting my next one in 2 weeks. it amazes me how people are never told about this my consultant drove it home that it not uncommon to out weight on untill there is a good degree of restriction so chin up hun you will def get there soon

Hiya Halve Me

I would agree with the others, but can also sympathise with your plight. I had my first band fill, and it worked for only a really small amount of time, infact I had to have, my second fill 17 days after my first one. Hang in there it does get better. I went 5 months between band fill 3 and 4. I had plateaus left right and centre, and it was hard going. I am sure once they get your restriction right, you will be back on the losing side. I gained weight between fills, it is always a learning curve. Keep the faith, you will get there.

MNL;)

awww i'm sure it will all work out in the end hun, and the dog sounds so cute:D:D:D

It does take a few fills to get it to the restriction you need. Everyone is different though, some can have great restriction with one fill and some with two. Then there are others that have quite a few before they feel any difference. Don't stress over it they will get it right eventually. Good luck xxGaynorxx

thank you all for the words of encouragement. :thankyou: it is so good to know i am not a failure and that it is quite 'normal' to feel like this ! i was told all about the op but never about the ins and outs of what happens for fills and how often etc its strange as i really did a lot of research about this but never the fill part:rolleyes:

Back