• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Had my tummy tuck!

rosejohnson

Home from the USA :-(
I had my tummy tuck last Wednesday (fleur de lys) and I am at home recovering now. I am absolutely and totally wiped out!

It seemed to go well though (apart from an allergic reaction to codeine). I am managing on just paracetamol and the pain isn't too bad.

Has anyone else had this surgery? Any tips for me?

Thanks!

Rx

Justliz is the girl for fdl info!

hope your doing ok love ,im a pre opper , but wanted to wish you swift recovery xxxxxxxxx

Congratulations :happy096:
I will be following this thread very closely
I am seeing my plastic surgeon next Tuesday (4th October funding already approved) and want to know everything :D

lamornamiss said:
I am seeing my plastic surgeon next Tuesday (4th October funding already approved) and want to know everything :D

And I shall be following your journey (again!). Looking at my tummy already think I will need plastics at some point, and I'm only 1/3 way through my planned weight loss :(
xXx

Last edited:
I need a tummy tuck but cant afford, you must lose pounds.when its off, i cant get it on the NHS, I bet you can see things you havent see for ages ( fairy ) xx

congrats Rose, wishing you a speedy recovery :) x

Congrats Rose

You are about 5 weeks behind me then.. I am 6 weeks post op tomorrow.

The worst thing for me has been the swelling. I never expected it and at times I am swollen by as much as 6 inches round the waist. I am only just back in my jeans and cant manage to wear them all day yet.

Its so lovely though not to look down and see the ugly apron of skin.

Enjoy your new flat tummy, and dont rush your recovery. x

Hi Rose

Congratulations on your TT! I hope you are doing ok still. :D

I'm recovering from a TT which was done on 15/9/11 so i'm only a week ahead of you. Like you, I can't take codeine either so have managed ok on ibuprofen and paracetamol. I think the plus side of not taking codeine is that you get back on your feet a little quicker.

It took me about one week to start feeling human again although I've definitely been aware of improvements every day. As others have said, the swelling is a nightmare (mine kicked in around day 5 or 6) and I have had back pain from sleeping propped-up.

I found the following advice has helped me and has definitely reduced the swelling:-

*Wear a good compression garment 24/7 and follow the no lifting, carrying or stretching rules as advised by hospital.

*Avoid caffeine and salt as much as possible and drink plenty of water. I know the drinking water bit sounds like madness when you are swollen but it helps flush everything through and will stop you getting constipated.

* Once you are able to stand comfortably, have a walk every day. Start small and build it up but the movement definitely helps with swelling. Don'e overdo it!

* Eat a healthy balanced diet with plenty of vitamins and minerals but avoid food which makes you feel bloated.

Here's wishing you a quick and problem-free recovery. Hopefully we will both be back to normal soon. Keep us posted how you are getting on.

Debs xx

hi wendy. have you got funding off your g.p on nhs for tummy tuck?

hi wendy. have you got funding off your g.p on nhs for tummy tuck?

Yes my Gp reffered me to the plastic surgeon who applied for funding. Then my pct agreed to funding on the nhs
but my BMI has to be below 25 and it helped that I have got a large incisonal hernia :rolleyes: so both will be done at the same time

Wow thanks for all the replies!

I am not sure how much skin they took away, but I will put the before and after pics on soon so you can judge for yourselves? I see the surgeon again at 6 weeks post op so I will ask him then.

It is an amazing difference to look down though!

This has definitely far more physically knocked me than the bypass did, I am absolutely shattered.

Interesting point about the compression garment - I don't have one! They did have a corset thingy on me in the hospital but it kept rolling up so took it off and i don't have one now! I am a bit worried now about whether i should have one.

My main problems are overnight, I can't sleep sitting up, so trying to find a position that is comfortable using careful positioning has been hilarious. I keep waking up and I feel very scared of getting in a position that is going to open up the wound. I am not used to having a big wound, the only other op I have ever had is my bypass, which was done laparoscopically.

I can't wait to get to the point that I can go for a walk! Currently it exhausts me to go to the toilet! I went downstairs this morning (2 flights of stairs) and I am back in bed now resting as it totally took it out of me.

Tomorrow is 1 week post op, and I am off to get dressings changed so will be first trip out. I am dreading it. But I really REALLY want a shower so i hope they either leave them off or put something waterproof on. I would love a bath, but would need a hoist to get me out so won't try that just yet.

Swelling wise, I don't think i have much, so that is good. There is still time though!

I am just looking forward to being more mobile, this sitting around is hard. I have already watched Lost series 1-6, starting on Rome today. Bored!!

Rx

Maybe ask about the compression garment tomorrow? I thought they were advised after all TT surgery but might be wrong.

My lower back and backside were hurting like hell so I bought a rubber sitting ring on E-Bay which was about a fiver...I think it has saved my butt quite literally!

Get well soon.

Debs xxx

Rose, I did ask my surgeon about a compression garment as research showed me that some surgeons recommend them and some dont.

Mine didnt recommend a surgical corset type garment, but tole me to buy magic pants - the kind that go from bust to above the knee. If I dont wear them my swelling is worse than when I do.

Back