• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Had surgery on Sunday, come home and found I've GAINED 10lbs!

PatsyCollyer

Is this normal? I had my gastric bypass surgery Sunday evening, got out last night, feeling pretty good all things considered.

Woke up this morning with my face, neck and throat VERY swollen, but expected to console myself with having lost a couple of pounds since my surgery only to find I'm 10lbs heavier than when I was admitted!

Please tell me I'll lose the weight - I'm doing everything I've been told to...

hi ya

i don't know what procedure you had done, but i had a bypass and i put on 6lb following this. yes, it is apparently it is very normal, its because of the gas/air they pump into your body, and all of the swelling that goes along with the surgery. Don't worry, it will work.
xx

I wouldn't worry. Whilst you are in hospital you would have been on a drip etc. All the medication, the air they pump into you etc. it is quite normal to gain a bit when you get home. You might be retaining fluid too as it's hard to drink much in the beginning. Try not to worry about the scales right now, follow your rules set by your provider and in a few weeks time you will have lost that weight and probably some more too. It just takes a while for the body to recover. If you are overly worried you can call your provider for reassurance but It's actually quite common to gain just after the op. Congratulations on your surgery. Good luck :) x

Last edited:
Aww hunnie im sure its just a post op thing. I dont know personnally just wanted to say dont worry someone will answer you soon xxxx

It will be water retention due to your medication. Just don't let it worry you. The losses will follow. Just take care of yourself and relax x

my dietician told me that it is very normal to gain a few pounds after the op as most of the weight you lose on the pre op diet is fluid so once you stop it then after surgery you tend to regain that fluid back, so try not to worry too much xx

Back