• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair Loss after 4 months - please help

Willow65

hi

I had my bypass done 27th September and I noticed on friday i am losing my hair. I have my hair styled very short so i am very worried i will be bald!!!!! I have immediately started taking the zinc tablets.

Has this happened to anyone? if so can you give me an idea as to how much hair you lose? as well as taking the Zinc is there anything else ie shampoo. How long before the zince starts to work.

Many thanks
xx

Happens to more or less everyone! Its caused mainly by not having enough protein and other stuff caused by weightloss etc, you might not loose much, you might find it quite noticable. It will get better once your weight stablises. Ive been told to take double by multivitamins but dont just do that check with what your team suggests.

Mine has just started getting quite bad too, im a week further along

:gen126:Hi,
am not this far along with my journey yet but quite a number of other members have had this happen at around the same time, I believe that it is a normal part of the process. I have read from other posts that this is not a permanent thing and hair loss will stop.
I am sure someone will be along soon to give advice on the zink ect. Keep your chin up and lol.

Hi Willow - you have taken a while before losing some hair! I lost a lot from only a month out but I did have really thick hair so it is not too much of a problem.

I do now take supplements but to be honest still lose quite a bit everytime I wash or brush it. I dont think there is that much you can really do - just use a thickening shampoo and products to make it look thicker when drying.

Apparently it does all grow back when your body settles down again and thinks you are not starving yourself! I do think my hair loss has now slowed down a bit (along with my weight loss) so perhaps this is true. Sorry there isnt a perfect answer in this case but hope this helps.

thanks everyone - its a daunting prospect as I love my hair and was starting to grow it (currently its very very short), so its going to be noticeable. boo hoo i could cry my heart out........

I have taken every supplement known to man and have all the protein required and still lost quite a bit of hair. But it is definitely growing back. I would lose all the hair again if it meant being this slim.

I have taken every supplement known to man and have all the protein required and still lost quite a bit of hair. But it is definitely growing back. I would lose all the hair again if it meant being this slim.

Same!!!!

I was given zinc and selenium in liquid form from my gp as it is better absorbed. Zincasol and selenase. Neither taste particularly nice!

The loss should only last around 6 months and shouldn't cause bald patches etc. It should only be an overall thinning and anything more you should see your team as it can be a sign of deficiency.

Im exactly the same, I have an appointment on Monday to see the GP for the zinc tablets. It seems like most people go through it, my hair is really short too and Im living in fear of complete baldness!! From whats been said though it will get better and we just have to ride it out.....hope it passes soon for both of us :D X

I find it really weird as moments before I was searching goggle for hair loss remedies.

I too have gone very thin, but this has only happened in the last month and I am 8 months out.

I must say I do sometimes forget to take my vitamins so will now make sure I am a very good girl and take them everyday.

I am waiting for a call from Streamline re an appointment and will ask them then and let you know what they say.

Im one of the lucky ones who didnt lose hair after surgery but almost a year later due to iron deficiency and stress.

I have been using Phytocyane hair vials for thinning female hair - cost is from £25 for a pack of 12. You empty the vial onto freshly washed hair, massage in well and then style as usual - twice a week for a month and then once a week for a month or longer. And yes, it works - I recommended it to my Mum who has hair loss due to age and menopause and she noticed the difference really fast.

Nothing you can do to stop it falling out once it starts - just go with it. It will stop and it will grow back.

My hair is short and very fine and thin.

SO when it started to fall out I ended up with some very thin patches.
Still have a hole in the back apparently - try not to think about it - outta sight outta mind!!

I religiously take my supplements and have my protein - I know I will be really ill with deficiencies if I don't

When it started growing back it had a slight kink in it instead of being completely drip straight - still thin and fine though

xxx

O gosh i had my op in Nov so mine will probley start to fall out when i am on my Holidays in March, just when i want to look my best

I think some of us will suffer with hair loss, others won't, & tbh, no-matter what supplements/vitamins/treatments you use, it makes little difference, except perhaps to make you feel a bit better!!! It's all to do with the body re-directing essential proteins where they are needed, and your hair & nails aren't priority. Take your vitamins regularly, keep up with your protein intake & it will eventually slow down. I've been losing loads for months but I'm not bald yet!

Oops, meant to add that Vit A, zinc, biotin, selenium, sea kelp & folic acid have all been quoted as the best supplements to help prevent hair loss....whether they actually are or not is a different matter but it wouldn't hurt to take a decent supplement specifically for hair growth xxx

my main worry about the hair loss is that i'm starting to get a few grey hairs now and I hope it doesn't all grow back grey.

I was taking superdrug hair, skin and nails with zinc in and Im still loosing mine! You never know though as my nails were really strong before surgery so it might be worth a try, just cos it didnt work for me doesnt mean it wont work for you. Good Luck hun XX

Back