• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair Loss

pollybree

Does everyone suffer from hair loss after surgery?? This is quite a worry for me as I love my long hair! :wave_cry:

I don't know if it is something that is specific to certain surgeries over others. I have a band and my hair is to the middle of my back - I haven't experienced hair loss and in fact, its in better condition than what it was before I started on this journey :)

It seems to be pretty common as far as I can make out so I am psychologically preparing myself for the possibility... :cry:

it happens because of a shock response by the body to a reduction in nutrients absorbed (specificaly Biotin with Hair), this is more comon in bypass due to the reduction of small intestine length to the stomach pouch. the body basicaly pauses/slows down any non essential processes while it deals with the calorie to metabolic requirement deficet, and the main one for this is hair growth.

So as your body mass decreases so does your bodys metabolic requirements and so the ratio between this and your calorie intake begins to equal out, and so your body with react and speed up or restart those processes it had adjusted such as hair growth.

It will be weighing up the pros and cons and what is right for you, in terms of use and things the band is suggested to be harder in terms of obtaining the results because of what you still can eat etc, its something perhaps more to reflect your eating habits and need to lose weight over the loss of hair. Some banders do lose their hair - my provider has their own forum and there are people on their with bands who have experienced hair loss. I would say that there are perhaps or potentially more relevant reasons to make a selection on the type of surgery you go for :)

I think it will be best just to wait till my semiar and see what the best recommendations are, maybe they will say the bypass is better for me?? Who knows! meanwhile I think the whole waiting game plays with your mind and I need to concentrate more on my job to take my mind off WLS, its so hard though, I think about it at least every other minute!! :eek:

Pollybree, can you send private messages on here? If you can, let me have your Facebook name and I can add you to the Darlington Bariatric Group on there. Only just put it on there and need to get some more local(ish) people on it.

Chrissy :) xx

I think the whole waiting game plays with your mind and I need to concentrate more on my job to take my mind off WLS, its so hard though, I think about it at least every other minute!! :eek:

I can so totally relate to that. I'm trying not to obsess as I have nothing more I can do except wait until my name gets to the top of the list!

As regards the hair loss - my son has the chance to go on a trip to Uganda next Easter so to help raise funds I am going to do a sponsored head shave sometime in the summer. If I'm going to lose it/it's going to thin then I may as well get something useful out of it!

I am the opposite! I had it with my band but not with my sleeve. I am 5 months post sleeve. I have long, thick curly hair and none of it has gone. I was told if I kept taking my vitamins, have loads of protein and water then I shouldn't have hair loss. It does grow back. It's not permenant.

Does everyone suffer from hair loss after surgery?? This is quite a worry for me as I love my long hair! :wave_cry:

Hi, I just wanted to comment quickly and say this is a very big worry of mine too! For some people its their teeth but I'm totally with you about the hair lol

My mother in law had a bypass and her hair loss was terrible but that was down to that fact she didn't and still doesn't look after herself. She would rather stuff her face with junk than drink water and take her vitamins.

I think as long as you take care of yourself and follow the plan before and after surgery you should be ok....... that's what I'm hoping for anyway :cool:

Good luck

xx

Hi, I just wanted to comment quickly and say this is a very big worry of mine too! For some people its their teeth but I'm totally with you about the hair lol

My mother in law had a bypass and her hair loss was terrible but that was down to that fact she didn't and still doesn't look after herself. She would rather stuff her face with junk than drink water and take her vitamins.

I think as long as you take care of yourself and follow the plan before and after surgery you should be ok....... that's what I'm hoping for anyway :cool:

Good luck

xx

Teeth? :eek: Oh no - what happens to those? Do they fall out too?? :( What do we need to do/take for that? So at this rate I'm going to be bald, toothless and thinner with rolls and rolls of loose dry skin:woohoo:

Last edited:
I just want to make the point that shedding is not a persons fault. It can occur anyway. I am religious with my vits and protein, have been since the day of my preop. I do everything possible to help myself - my hair thinned horridly. So don't assume its cos someone is doing something wrong.

Back