• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair Loss

Mine started coming out quite badly at 4 months but you don't have bald patches and no one else noticed! I just had to clean my hairbrush and unblock the bath more. I'm now 7 months out and it has pretty much stopped and I now have short fluffy new hair at my roots. It's not nice when it happens but it's really not that bad, it certainly shouldn't be a decisive factor in which surgery you choose in my view!!

I too am worried about hair loss as I've always used my lovely long locks and boobs to boost my confidence, but my dietician did stress that if you follow the protein first rules, you can likely avoid hair loss. She also reassured me that we were not talking about being bald and that it's not permanent!
Good luck with your op.

Hi. I am expecting it and have already gone short. I lost loads with lighter life and I know this will happen. Short term hit for a long term gain. Started wearing hats already this winter so people get used to me wearing them. Already looking for summer hats. My hair and nails were wrecked with lighter life, think its the luck of the drawer really!

This is an interesting one. On the one hand I would hate to lose my hair as it's long now, but, on the other hand if the hairs on my chin fall out I will be chuffed lol (knowing my luck I'll be bald with a full beard :)

Ha ha! It falls out in the shower and its a shocker at first! Go to your doc and ask for vaniqa cream for facial hair. Combined with Dionette pill it stops facial hair. Honestly. I was prescribed it through an endocrinologist and its been amazing. Takes 3 months and no more plucking or immac. Feel like a girl again. I have had it for 2 years. Life changing!!!

Just going to back up what Yve is saying, I get my protein, take forceval, take extra vitamins and supplement for hair and I drink the recommended amount of water but I've lost half the thickness of my hair. I make sure I eat lots of fruit and veg too but with a bypass you have malabsorption so most people can't avoid it. I'm lucky I had thick hair to start with as it still comes out in handfuls. Start about 3 months post op, I'm 8 months post op now. Most people bodies adjust around the year mark and you start to get re growth. It can happen for other procedures too but the DS and Bypass are most commonly known for hair loss due to the malabsorption. My skin is fine though, better than it had been in years and never heard of people having problems with teeth?

Oh about hairloss...

It's part and parcel of a bypass I'm afraid,
It's really not too bad it does stop...I've got thin fine hair and never went bald.
Just get your protein in,even if it means adding marvel to drinks/yogurts/soups or buy protein shakes.
Taking hair supplements/Zinc/selenium and hairloss potions made no difference to me whatsoever...save your money.
Just get in protein!
And buy a tangle teezer brush,this was a GODSEND it doesn't put stress on the hair when brushing.

Guys please don't worry about your teeth!!!!!

I was just saying people worry about different things, some people its their hair and some their teeth etc.

But I must say you guys have really made me laugh with all your teeth comments! Thank you ;p xx

Post quick google it does seem to be something coming up in long termers - dental sensitivity and erosion. Lots of cavities (one person had 17 in one year despite thorough dental hygiene and no vitamin deficiences evident from bloodwork) Will need some more investigating...May have to start a new thread on this and hope some long termers can shed some light/share some experiences. Most of those I have been reading about are 5+ years out.

I was aware that teeth, like osteoporosis is a significant complication in the long term post op.

I wasn't...............(teeth that are still here chattering now!).....lol Will be religeous with the calcium I think!

I was told nothing about teeth problems, I love my teeth! I take a calcium tablet every night anyway.

Hi. I am expecting it and have already gone short. I lost loads with lighter life and I know this will happen. Short term hit for a long term gain. Started wearing hats already this winter so people get used to me wearing them. Already looking for summer hats. My hair and nails were wrecked with lighter life, think its the luck of the drawer really!

It could just be lighter life diet does not have everything it should have!! :) xx

It could just be lighter life diet does not have everything it should have!! :) xx

Lighter life is the work of the Devil!!!
At the time I thought it was amazing as i lost 5st easily but I now honestly believe i would not be the size I am (10st back on) if I hadn't done it.
My surgeon is in agreement too!

oh yes rudders could not agree more with these fad diets, how can you possibly maintain the loss even when eating a sensible diet, been there got the t shirt and now the t shirt dosnt fit (6 stones heavier than when I started)!! Plus is major expensive!! I was only a stone overweight when I done it! Now I dont recognise myself. Cant wait for the surgery!!

Back