• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair loss?

MissB'sjourney

Hi!

I'm New to this and I'm still doing all my research into what surgery will be best for me. From what I read online, hair loss seems to be a common side affect after surgery.

I'm just trying to ascertain how common is this and how bad can it get??

Thanks!

It varies for different patients. Mine hasn't been so bad it isn't noticeable I just notice it as it's thinner than usual but it doesn't look it. It happens around the 3-5 month mark dramatically if your protein is above 60g daily then it's less likely to be dramatic. Which surgery are you looking at ? :) x

It varies for different patients. Mine hasn't been so bad it isn't noticeable I just notice it as it's thinner than usual but it doesn't look it. It happens around the 3-5 month mark dramatically if your protein is above 60g daily then it's less likely to be dramatic. Which surgery are you looking at ? :) x

Hi and thanks!
I'm looking into plication (wrap) or a band. I already have quite thin hair so it panics me that I might lose it. I know it's about weighing up if that's really a big enough deal for me not to do it as I'm not very confident anyway and thinning hair will make it worse.

It may seem trivial to many but it's a massive thing for me :-(

Hi and thanks!
I'm looking into plication (wrap) or a band. I already have quite thin hair so it panics me that I might lose it. I know it's about weighing up if that's really a big enough deal for me not to do it as I'm not very confident anyway and thinning hair will make it worse.

It may seem trivial to many but it's a massive thing for me :-(
Completely understand - I guess it depends if you'd prefer the weight loss etc. Not sure how bad the hair loss is with the band @countrywench can you answer that? :( x

Not trivial at all, if it matters to you it is important.

I am 12 weeks after my bypass and so at the point where it might start falling out, I haven't had much so far, but it does feel a bit dryer/more brittle than it did.

I have quite thick hair but I am dreading it falling out a lot - we will see what happens!

Not trivial at all, if it matters to you it is important.

I am 12 weeks after my bypass and so at the point where it might start falling out, I haven't had much so far, but it does feel a bit dryer/more brittle than it did.

I have quite thick hair but I am dreading it falling out a lot - we will see what happens!

Thank you! I think the weight loss benefits severely outweigh the hair loss so I'm going to try and not let it get to me. I suppose it's just one other thing I'll be having to get used to afterwards!

Can I ask how your recovery/adjustment has been? Xxx

I had thin hair to start with and have lost quite a lot too. It is what it is really, the benefits of losing weight helps me deal with it. I use shampoo for thin hair and a tonic that allegedly helps strengthen it along with biotin supplements but mostly I concentrate of getting in enough protein. I think accepting this is part of getting your head in the right place pre op along with limited food and portion sizes and the likelihood of lose skin. My preparation classes were very blunt about this sort of thing which for me was helpful.

You're not silly to be worried about it. You know what is going to bother you so you're thinking about it carefully x

Hate to say but I have lost loads! I had think afro hair and it's been breaking away around my ears front and back if neck not middle it started about the 9 month mark just as my team said it would Im planning on either cutting it short which I would hate to do or cutting it then putting in a weave or plaits and leaving it alone

I am almost 6 months out. The hair loss started almost 3 months after op. It was very rapid. I saw the dietician and she told me to take zinc with copper (must be with copper) and selenium every day for 12 months. The hair loss continued for about 8 weeks but it suddenly stopped and it is starting to thicken again. I have new hair growth all around my hairline and the top of my head, which had become embarrassingly thin and obvious, now looks so much better. I used to run my fingers thro my hair and my hands were full of hair that had come away- made me want to cry. Whilst sitting with the dietician this week I did it again and there was one hair in my hands.

This was great advice and I would strongly recommend it. I saw her again this week and she reminded me to take these supplements for no longer than a year. It's so worth the hair loss and it's clearly not permanent. As an aside I've always made sure my diet has plenty of protein too.

I am almost 6 months out. The hair loss started almost 3 months after op. It was very rapid. I saw the dietician and she told me to take zinc with copper (must be with copper) and selenium every day for 12 months. The hair loss continued for about 8 weeks but it suddenly stopped and it is starting to thicken again. I have new hair growth all around my hairline and the top of my head, which had become embarrassingly thin and obvious, now looks so much better. I used to run my fingers thro my hair and my hands were full of hair that had come away- made me want to cry. Whilst sitting with the dietician this week I did it again and there was one hair in my hands.

This was great advice and I would strongly recommend it. I saw her again this week and she reminded me to take these supplements for no longer than a year. It's so worth the hair loss and it's clearly not permanent. As an aside I've always made sure my diet has plenty of protein too.

Hi lynneslims

What dosage selenium did they recommend?

My hair loss has been awful!!

It started at about 4 months post op and hasn't stopped (I'm 2.5 years out)... You can now see my scalp!

Vitamins, Protein and biotin, shampoos and conditioners etc NOTHING has helped me! :(

Over four months post op and no hair loss at all (yet). It did get a bit dry so I changed my shampoo to a hair loss one with caffeine and it perked up immediately. I am strict with my protein, and take all my vits and supps. I have short hair anyway so no part of my hair is very old, but make sure I get a good cut every four weeks and my hair is as thick as it was before surgery.

Back